Quantcast

20mm front/10mm bolt on rear wheelset?

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm looking for a new complete wheelset for my dj rig, but can't really find one pre built with this configuration (don't want to lace up rims/hubs separately). I have horizontal dropouts and run singlespeed, so I need a nutted rear axle to run chain tensioners on. And I'm getting a 20mm fork, so I need a wheel to match (currently have QR up there). I want a set of outlaws, but I don't think the 12mm T/A will fit the rear (P.2 currently, black market soon) I would just run the outlaws in qr version in the rear, but I don't think that is a good idea with chain tensioners (and I've bent a few QR axles as well). I currently have a singletrack laced to an xt in the rear, but the rim is kind of beat and the hub is having some issues as well. it would work, but I'd prefer to get a whole new wheelset. Any ideas?

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
no such thing exists.
.:

-buy 8/9spd wheelset that has a 20mm front, off the top of my head mavic, dt and Dirty do such a thing

-buy one wheel at a time

-deal with a dedicated wheel builder

-order from industry nine

-suck it up and lace those bitches from parts.

dropouts can be filed to accept most axle sizes.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
You're asking alot from a wheelset :)

Outlaw's or Deemax's. I think Deemax's allow you to run a nutted rear axle. Maybe a wheelset from Atomlabs would come with the nutted rear axle you need.

12mm will be too big. 10mm would be fine. A QR is 9mm I think. The Deemax or the Atom Labs GI wheelset which gives you a 20mm/10mm/9mm options. Plus they are probably pretty strong.

Ride-this.com has them, says out of stock though. $299 for a 10mm rear/20mm front 36h wheelset. That ain't too bad.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Frankenschwinn said:
Can you not get a threaded axle for the outlaws?
It comes with a threaded axle, but it is a 12mm T/A, not a 10mm. I don't really like the idea of filing my dropouts either:dead: .

Spunger, thanks for the heads up on the Atom labs. Those sound like exactly what I need. Any word on the durability of these? I've heard atom lab's tend to dent easily.

Also, I think there may have been some confusion on the rear hub. It does not need to be a single speed hub, I just run the gussett conversion. And I need a 10mm nutted axle because 1) a 12mm won't fit without filing, and 2) I run chain tensioners that fit around the axle, so a QR wouldn't work (at least not well)

I'm also on a budget, which was initially why I was looking at prebuilt wheelsets such as the Azonics:cool:

Thanks for the info so far:)

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
that does look like a good solution.
i would however reccomend a singlespeed specific rear hub, they're just a better solution.
Upon further inspection it loks like the GI whelset could come with a SS hub, but the website isn't very clear.
If it came to it filing dropouts isn't anywhere near as bad as it might sound, trust me.

do you run a front brake on your jump bike?
if not, just for the heck of it here's my suggested wheelset:
-middleburn 20mm non disc F hub
-novatech style rear (axiom, on-one, woodman, oem from velocity wheels) can be had for well under 100
-ex 721 rims -26"
or
-atomlab gi dirt rims 24"

all 36h

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
CreeP said:
that does look like a good solution.
i would however reccomend a singlespeed specific rear hub, they're just a better solution.
Upon further inspection it loks like the GI whelset could come with a SS hub, but the website isn't very clear.
If it came to it filing dropouts isn't anywhere near as bad as it might sound, trust me.

do you run a front brake on your jump bike?
if not, just for the heck of it here's my suggested wheelset:
-middleburn 20mm non disc F hub
-novatech style rear (axiom, on-one, woodman, oem from velocity wheels) can be had for well under 100
-ex 721 rims -26"
or
-atomlab gi dirt rims 24"

all 36h
Typically set up, I run my bike as a simple Dj'er, singlespeed, no front brake, etc. However, I do race some MTX so I need to be able to convert back and forth between DJ'er and race rig, so gears and a front brake are a must. I know you can run 3-4 gears on a ss hub, but I'd prefer to just have a normal setup:cool:

I think the outlaws are my solution, I've heard they are super burly and long lasting.

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
cjcrashesalot said:
I'm looking for a new complete wheelset for my dj rig, but can't really find one pre built with this configuration (don't want to lace up rims/hubs separately). I have horizontal dropouts and run singlespeed, so I need a nutted rear axle to run chain tensioners on. And I'm getting a 20mm fork, so I need a wheel to match (currently have QR up there). I want a set of outlaws, but I don't think the 12mm T/A will fit the rear (P.2 currently, black market soon) I would just run the outlaws in qr version in the rear, but I don't think that is a good idea with chain tensioners (and I've bent a few QR axles as well). I currently have a singletrack laced to an xt in the rear, but the rim is kind of beat and the hub is having some issues as well. it would work, but I'd prefer to get a whole new wheelset. Any ideas?
well i just got done building my new hardtail and i put a special rear axle on to fit the 10mm axle slots! the axel is 12mm threw the hub and then it has a slot in it to fit the 10mm dropouts and then it go's to a 12mm again!
and go with the atomlab dhr rims!

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
id roll simple old 36 hole singletracks if i were u, i have some and they withstand my abuse. If u want a SWEET INDESTRUCTABLE CHEAP wheelset go with halo combat SAS 24" w/ 48 spokes, they are true beast.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Well, I'm morally opposed to 24" wheels on mtb's, so none of those for me. And I don't thrash wheels enough to justify the weight of 48 spokes. Those halo's do look sick though, I'll keep em in mind. I'm also just considering keeping my current rims/rear hub and lacing up a Zocchi 20mm front hub to the singletrack I have up there. Definitely the cheapest option, and I can run the rims till they die (the front has a lot of life left, the rear is a little more beat).

Aug 15, 2005
Berlin, CT
Funn wheelset. comes with either a 9mm qr front or 20mm. and a 9mm, 10mm, or 12mm for the rear. 32, 36, or 48 spoke. disc or rim brakes. beefy a** wheels. so nice.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
CreeP said:
not in a ss specific version, i thought we covered this already.

morally opposed to 24" ?
:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

you suck
Haha, to me, 24" = BMX cruiser, 26" = most mtn bikes. My buddy has a 24" DK cruiser and I think it rules. I'm not against 24" altogether, just on MTB's. They have their place elsewhere, IMO.