Quantcast

20x110 boost front hub

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Apparently boost has found its way to the front of the DH world since a little while...
It looks like that:
49-axle-overlay.png

The position of the rotor is moved 5mm out which allows wider spacing between the flanges. Supposedly bigger wheels made this a necessity...?

A simple solution is to just shims your good old hub 5mm out and you will be good to go with any of the new forks.

There are a few hubs supporting this "new standard". Not so many. Here are the one I found:

DT Swiss 350 Front Hub - 6-Bolt - 20x110mm Boost - black
Flange dist.
Left 28.1mm
Right 35.6mm
244g (manufacturer)

DT 240 Front Hub - 6-Bolt - 20x110mm Boost
Flange dist.
Left 27mm
Right 35mm
192g (manufacturer)

Hope Pro 4 Disc 6-bolt Boost Front Hub
Flange dist.
Left 25mm
Right 33mm
175g?

SPANK HEX J-TYPE FRONT HUB
?

I-9 hydra classic boost 6B
Flange dist.
Left 27mm
Right 42mm
165g (manufacturer)

I-9 hydra classic boost centerlock
Flange dist.
Left 29mm
Right 42mm
137g (manufacturer)

Tune Superkingkong
Flange dist.
Left 28.7mm
Right 31.2mm
146.5g (manufacturer)
Max spoke tension 1100N
Max rider weight 105kg

Onyx Vesper MTB BOOST ISO 110/20 Thru-bolt Front Hub
Flange dist.
Left 26.8mm
Right 42.3mm
170g (manufacturer)

NEWMEN FADE Hub MTB Front 15-20x110 BOOST J-Bend 6Bolt 28h & 32h
Flange dist.
Left 27.5mm
Right 39.0mm
- g (manufacturer)

Chris King ISO AB front
Flange dist.
Left 27.3mm
Right 36.3mm
182 g (manufacturer)

Hadley Disc Boost 110mm X 20mm Hub
Flange dist.
Left 27.5mm
Right 35.3mm
207 g (manufacturer)

Project 321
Flange dist.
Left 28mm
Right 32mm
181g?

Let me know if I forgot an obvious contender or if some of the brands above should be avoided for whatever reason.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This standard is years old but it should have happened many years earlier, it's a good standard.

I was hoping Fox would have done a 20mm Boost 38 but it seems they deemed the XC size axle good enough, can't afford one anyway so I guess it doesn't matter.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This standard is years old but it should have happened many years earlier, it's a good standard.
i can't believe i'm agreeing but yea, of all the hub standard fuckery that's gone done over the last decade this is the least horrible of it all by a pretty wide margin. plus any non boost dh front hub can be easily retrofit to work.

also i'm pretty sure this was introduced a few years ago.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Fellows, please refrain mentioning rear hubs or anything with 15mm axle, half the internet is already saturated with that! :brows:

I need to buy a new front hub soon. It needs to be monkey approved!
Normally I would go for a DT350 but this one is clearly on the heavy side...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Have you looked at project 321,
Like a nicer i9

216 poe,
quieter,
magnets instead of springs,
Adjustable preload,
Comes with Japanese bearings instead of garbage with a catchy name cough enduro cough

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
You can never have too many magnets.
So the reason it's cool, is... the spring force goes up as a paw goes over the drive rings tooth, while the magnet's/paws attraction to the drive ring diminishes greatly over the tooth (by the square of the distance). This lowers the friction and noise.

It's cool if your into those sort of things.....

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
So the reason it's cool, is... the spring force goes up as a paw goes over the drive rings tooth, while the magnet's/paws attraction to the drive ring diminishes greatly over the tooth (by the square of the distance). This lowers the friction and noise.

It's cool if your into those sort of things.....
Yeah but the uncool thing is my leg force would transfer to the aluminium hub body and chew it to shit at the two cassette mark. Titanium or steel reinforced for me, when my current cassette wears out I'll have to throw the Syntace freehub out with it, hahaha! I have 142mm spacing so upgrading would be a waste of money, but I will go back to Hadley for the next bike's wheel build, Ti FTW!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Well whats a set of wheels if you dont have matching hubs?
Matching hubs will certainly please my Obsessive Cycle Disorder but I don't mind pushing myself out of my comfort zone sometime...

Overall these North American made hubs look nice and appealing but they are somehow difficult to source and quite expensive when you add freight to Europe and toll...
The DT 240 seems like the safest alternative and the easiest to get.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Superstar do UK made Boost hubs for 40 Pounds, their new premium model isn't out yet-

It sounds like the hubs are all boost shells but you can unboost them by getting caps that push the hub to the right and you re-dish, seems sorta odd if that is the case.

The outgoing top level V6 hub is on sale but I don't get if it is boost or not, strange wording on the site-
Oh and you can get them in pink!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Looks like the cleanest solution would actually be a 4 bolt calipet adapter that's offset
Drop a non boost right in there.....

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Yeah but the uncool thing is my leg force would transfer to the aluminium hub body and chew it to shit at the two cassette mark. Titanium or steel reinforced for me, when my current cassette wears out I'll have to throw the Syntace freehub out with it, hahaha! I have 142mm spacing so upgrading would be a waste of money, but I will go back to Hadley for the next bike's wheel build, Ti FTW!
Hg...
I'm on an xd
Soo will be microspline...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hg...
I'm on an xd
Soo will be microspline...
Yeah I run a Saint short mech with an 11 speed 11-36t SunRace cassette, have to stick with the Hg body or go to a dinner plate first gear with massive steps between gears and a long mech, no thanks.

Factor also do 20mm Boost-
1593772570316.jpeg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am glad you like it. I have two of them now.
I said nothing about liking it, it never works, I am one of the few that has the zombie remote issues.
Archer had been fantastic with support, they sent another complete set but said I will probably have the same issue, and I did.
Have been extremely lazy in regards to sending my remote back to have updated, some rides I wouldn't either bother turning it on because it would infuriate me so much, plus the remote wouldn't go to sleep and just run the batt flat for the next ride.

You can use your phone to shift in to a tolerable gear but as it uses BLE, if you are in dense bush you can't get a GPS ping so you are fucked there too, thanks Google!

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
DT240 was out of stock so that I did some recycling instead.
I started with a Superstars hub I had lying around, switched sides of the end caps and shimmed the rotor out with a piece of an old rotor.
It worked!
20200714_141635.jpg

Off course I went for the longest rotor bolts I had in my bong shed :triniti:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Deep front hub Monday nerdery!

There are 2 types of front hubs, from what I can see.
Those where the bearing sit on the front axle of the fork with a sleeve between the bearing and cups at both sides to fit the desired fork axle standard:
V6_Front_Hub_Cutaway.jpg

Then we have those with their own axle on which the bearings are pressed and then cups are pushed from each sides like on the DT240 below
YShQ8.png

it feels that the second solution will offer more torsional rigidity.
Have you seen numbers or have personal experience to share?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Once everything is mounted and clamped onto the fork, does it matter that much?

I've never thought hey my front hub could be stiffer, in that manner.

You might notice a difference in bearing life though, depending on how they squeezed that axle in.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Good question @canadmos !
Does the hub rely on the torsional stiffness of the fork or does the hub improve on the torsional stiffness of the fork?
Sorry for being rhetorical...

Bearing life is another important aspect.