-21°C Thursday GMT-6°F

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You should get a Tesla. :nerd:
You know, I did the math.

A tesla would save like $500 a year on gas compared to a car that gets 25mpg on regular gas. (Gas cost over 20k miles-Electric cost over 20k miles). So, it would take 70 years for the tesla to become a value compared to something like an alfa romeo pure gas car. Not even a hybrid or something relatively efficient (my rav4 gets 36mpg).

I'd rather spend that $35000 bonus dollars on a car that has an interior of higher quality than my toyota. Until solar panels become a reality, then it's a different conversation.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Good Morning!!

Woke up at 3am with the worst cramp in my calf I've ever experienced. Wife was all "WTF?", dog was all "WTF?", I was all "WTF...it hurts!" kid was all **snore**

I think the problem stemmed from the 14 pots of coffee I drank yesterday at work, then the decision to re-hydrate with a massive amount of red wine.

Naturally, I feel the best decision to remedy that is to do the exact same thing today - you know, to test my medical hypothesis....

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
My wife made Banana bread yesterday and I brought some with me to work. You can't even tell it's vegan.

Have my fat bike with me and will see if I can go explore anything later. Pretty icy out there and I don't have studded fat bike tires because studded fat bike tires cost more than studded car tires.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
old man status achieved.....bed has been thrown out in favor of recliner....awaiting ear hair to sprout....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Good Morning!!

Woke up at 3am with the worst cramp in my calf I've ever experienced. Wife was all "WTF?", dog was all "WTF?", I was all "WTF...it hurts!"
you what is worse....it happening mid hip sprint....do you call time and try and work that shit out....or do you soldier on....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Deposited the supplemental insurance check at the bank last night and the woman behind the counter said they cannot release the funds until someone from the bank has had an opportunity to inspect the vehicle. I asked her how I was supposed to pay for the repair if they wouldn't release the money, not even with a bank check made out directly to the shop. She continued to insist that I have to bring the vehicle to the bank so presumably a teller can come out and give it a thumbs up of approval? She failed to see that this did not make much sense. :banghead:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Went into crawl space to turn on water for sprinklers. When I shut the water back off the valve started dripping, so that's the priority today. :banghead: I also need to start Christmas present acquisitions I suppose. Snowing out, must walk dogs.

-6°F out there this morning. - 22 with the wind. Gonna be a cold commute on the bike...
Eff that. I draw the line and single digits. I just cant layer enough when it gets any colder than that.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
A few inches of the white stuff on the ground at our place, wifey went out for some first tracks around the hood on her new fat bike.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Invest it and retire 5 years earlier? :brows:
$35k. Doing rough math on Sandwiches age [computing]; doing math on growth rates [computing]; you're fucking disillusional if you think you're retiring five years early on $35k now.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Where the heck is it -6°F? Florida? It's 30° in Alaska and going to get to 35 today, although it's been beating the forecast recently, like 43 degrees last night when we rode to the brewery.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Hello, friends. LMFAO! I went to the pool before work. A dusting of snow is enough to keep everybody away and I was fine with that. Getting the snow tires put on my car this afternoon and don't give me any of that "Do it yourself" bullshit because that is manual labor and is beneath me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Where the heck is it -6°F? Florida? It's 30° in Alaska and going to get to 35 today, although it's been beating the forecast recently, like 43 degrees last night when we rode to the brewery.
Ottawa, Canada.
Here's a picture from my commute in. It's totally awesome. I'm really loving it for now.

upload_2017-12-14_10-40-1.png

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
$35k. Doing rough math on Sandwiches age [computing]; doing math on growth rates [computing]; you're fucking disillusional if you think you're retiring five years early on $35k now.
lol. I was being overly optimistic. But even if it lets him retire 3 months early... it's probably worth it. :D

And I don't think that bolded word means what you think it does...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
half day at work yesterday. left office later than i wanted, had to drop off kids crap at wife's coworkers house near my office. delayed my drive to the trails. go to the turn to the road for the trail head parking lot, blocked by police. someones house was on fire. d'oh. backtracked about 10 minutes to park at another trail head. trails were nice and dry and frozen. only one soft spot. windy and cold, but was comfortable. new pants were awesome. last mile or so my back end goes squirrely. flat tire! fuck! of course i don't carry any manner of inflation or repair. i'm on tubeless, and this is a first. by the time i figured out what was going on all air was effectively gone. for the life of me couldn't find the spot. walked the last mile or so out. at the car i aired the tire up and found the offending puncture. its small, but didn't manage to self seal. oriented it at the bottom for the drive home so sealant would hopefully do its trick. got home, seemed fine, lost some air overnight, but generally seemed to be holding. will see how it goes. any options for a more permanent fix?

anyways, got home, started fire, shower, heady topper, kids dinner, kids bath, kids bed, went out for beers & wings with neighbors. had a good time. slept like shit, woke up depressed. motivation levels 0 today.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I rode in. 28 degrees, somewhat icy. Slipped twice, only fell once but with no permanent damage.

A few inches of the white stuff on the ground at our place, wifey went out for some first tracks around the hood on her new fat bike.
I was wondering how much you guys got. We have maybe 1/2" on grass but paved surfaces vary from dry to built up snow. Most of the surface was fine, crunchy and not very slippery ice, like a brushed on feathery surface.

You know, I did the math.

A tesla would save like $500 a year on gas compared to a car that gets 25mpg on regular gas. (Gas cost over 20k miles-Electric cost over 20k miles).
In all seriousness, please share your math underlying this. This is relevant to my interests. :D

Eff that. I draw the line and single digits. I just cant layer enough when it gets any colder than that.
I drew my line at 15 degrees F. Face gets cold and all hurty.

Invest it and retire 5 years earlier? :brows:
Thank you for saving me from this post. "Delusional", though. :D

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've had that happen....you call time-out. Always call time out. Unless the precious is about to occur.
I think my worst was being on the edge of slime time and having a gigantic fart doing all it can to breach the gates. Despite my best efforts to the contrary, voluntary control of my lowers was relinquished in a magnificent display of alternating toots and shoots.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hello, friends. LMFAO! I went to the pool before work. A dusting of snow is enough to keep everybody away and I was fine with that. Getting the snow tires put on my car this afternoon and don't give me any of that "Do it yourself" bullshit because that is manual labor and is beneath me.
I've got it down to 15 minutes, but I have the right tools. It might be beneath me, but so is wasting over an hour waiting for somebody else to do it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
i've seen people mention bike specific tire plugs,... are these worthwhile? is it a permanent fix or just a fix till it fucks up again?
I think the bacon plugs are more for when you're out riding so you don't need to break the bead and you stand a chance of being able to air up tubeless again.

I've patched the inside of tires at home a few times with normal tube patches, car patches would probably be tougher though.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Thank you for saving me from this post. "Delusional", though. :D

Disclaimer #1: I don't know Sandwich's age
Disclaimer #2: I suck and mathmatology

$35k today, returning 7-10% annually over 20 years = $126k - $214k. That between $25k and 42k /yr. over 5 years.
I think that might AID in retiring early based on expenses.
(obviously returns could be much less or more)