Quantcast

21st anniversary cruise possibility......

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
September is around the corner, and with it, our 21st anniversary and all that can/will be done. Like last year, we have several ideas of what to do, and none of them are wrong (yes, that means the chance of NASCAR is still on the list!).

That being said, I'd like to know if anyone in RM-land has ever been on a cruise. I feel going up to Alaska would be excellent, yet I'm curious to all the hidden fees. Sure, I read about the dining and shore excursions and port charges, however, what about drinks/special events/room service dining/etc? If the cruise lists at $799 (or whatever), what can I expect as add-ons at the end of the cruise? I sure as Hell do not want to be surprised and max out my card......... that's reserved for my next bike, haha.

What info does anyone have? THANKS for your input!!!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We did an alaska cruise with the in-laws a number of years ago. It's something that was neat to do once, but I feel pretty confident saying I'm in no rush to do another. You can spend as much money as you want. Nothing was "hidden" per-se, but shit wasn't cheap either. Alcohol was $$$$$ and the whole not getting the bill till the end of the cruise is a tad shifty, but if you don't go on a ship board rager it shouldn't be too much of a shocker. Find out what drinks will set you back, and set a hard limit if you need too. Our daughter was pretty young at the time and we were pretty broke, so we didn't go out of our way to do a ton of stuff, but we had a pretty good time without breaking the bank and we saw some pretty cool stuff.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
I've been on about a dozen or so cruises. You can shop around online for better packages. Find an online travel agent as sometimes they can put something together for you. The last cruise we took back in Dec/Jan we did the drink package where all drinks are included as well as paid gratuity. Gratuity is typically paid at the end of the cruise and you can elect to give more if you choose if you felt the service is over the top. Some cruise lines will offer free room service, others charge. Continental breakfast is usually free in the morning. Cruise lines will offer excursions through them, which tend to be more expensive. We usually search for excursions via Tripadviser for better deals. Keep in mind, on a cruise when on shore if not doing an excursion through the ship you'll need to watch the time, as you can't be late back to the ship or they'll leave. If its a cruise line excursion, they will wait for you to get back if running behind. Its free to get off the ship and just wonder around the port if you want, or just get a cab or Uber and cruise around too. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions