Quantcast

224mm rotors with Shimano Saint...what adapter? (read on)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The fork is a 2021 Fox 40 with post mounts for 203 sized rotors. The frame is a 2019 Kona Operator with the standard 200/203mm rotor adapter already bolted on.

I got my hands on some old school Hayes 224mm rotors for cheap and trying to mount them. I started with the fork using a standard Shimano 20mm adapter I had kicking around, but it seems to angle the caliper a little strangely.

What adapter should I be getting? The North Shore billet site says I should be using a 17mm adapter (and then use small washers to make up the extra couple mm). I'm assuming the rear will be the same.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Well it looks like it should be ok but I want to be sure the pads are 100% in contact with the rotor. I'd feel better if I had the right adapter. Or, I do what we all did in the 90s and start grinding things down.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Well it looks like it should be ok but I want to be sure the pads are 100% in contact with the rotor. I'd feel better if I had the right adapter. Or, I do what we all did in the 90s and start grinding things down.
Definitely make sure the pads are completely covered by rotor. I posted elsewhere that on my wife's road bike I discovered the pads are a couple of mm too high and I just can't see how to make it right and that's just with the max 160/140mm rotors the frame allows and the correct adapters.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Definitely make sure the pads are completely covered by rotor. I posted elsewhere that on my wife's road bike I discovered the pads are a couple of mm too high and I just can't see how to make it right and that's just with the max 160/140mm rotors the frame allows and the correct adapters.
Mill