Quantcast

23 pound Lobster - HOLY CRAP

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I saw this on Yahoo news today:

This lobster was caught of the coast of Nantucket and weighs in at 23 pounds!

That's more than some cross country hardtails!!! :eek: :eek:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I saw the CNN.com story this morning... they had PETA trying to get it freed back to the ocean, and the other PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) trying to buy it so they could eat it :D

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Cripes that creeps me out. I love lobster, but man oh man they're spiders of the sea. Along with crabs, which I like too, but can't really look at.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Echo said:
I saw the CNN.com story this morning... they had PETA trying to get it freed back to the ocean, and the other PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) trying to buy it so they could eat it :D
the caption says it is going to a zoo in Philly I think.

I can't imagine a lobster that heavy - crazy! You'd need a HUGE pot to steam that sucker!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Man that thing must have so many chemicals in it I wouldn't eat it!!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Silver said:
I remember hearing (on a cooking show, so take it with a grain of salt, ha ha) that they all used to grow to that size.
Lobsters can live to be well over 100 years old if they don't get trapped for food.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
MMcG said:
Maybe at the zoo it'll make friends with a cow. The zoo could then rename them as Surf and Turf. :D

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Oh.. Pinchy...

Oh my dear sweet Pinchy (eats a huge mouthful of lobster) No more pain where you are boy...(Snaps Pinchy in half)

Pass the Butter

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
-BB- said:
Oh.. Pinchy...

Oh my dear sweet Pinchy (eats a huge mouthful of lobster) No more pain where you are boy...(Snaps Pinchy in half)

Pass the Butter
Hahaha...

Homer: Sorry, Marge. Pinchy got all dirty in the yard chasing birds - but don't worry, I put him in a nice, hot bath.

Bart: What smells so good?

edit: Funny, my post count is exactly Mark's post count, if you swapped the middle 6 and 7... 6,676 vs. 6,766

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, I visited Maine a couple of years back and they said that there are quite a lot that tons bigger than the 1-3 lb we eat. They can't harvest the big ones because they are the brood stock.... I think.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
MMcG said:
Looks to me like a new Avatar in the making for Mackie (he who has a lobster avatar)
That's not just my avatar - he's also my pet - Pinchy the freshwater lobster (named after Homers pet).
He lives at the bottom of my tropical tank and eats algae discs, food that falls to the bottom, and small, slow fish!

He's only about 3-4 inches long. Never weighed him though - but I'd guess he's less than 23 pounds.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Mackie said:
That's not just my avatar - he's also my pet - Pinchy the freshwater lobster (named after Homers pet).
He lives at the bottom of my tropical tank and eats algae discs, food that falls to the bottom, and small, slow fish!

He's only about 3-4 inches long. Never weighed him though - but I'd guess he's less than 23 pounds.

Whoops - give Mr. Pinchy a couple of extra algae discs for me then. :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
A can't see any benefit of playing it out here. Guess I should change my sig.

Forgiveness is easier to get than permission. Well, unless you're dating this last chick I went out with, in which case you get neither.

no dude, that sig rules!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
from growing up in the Maritimes and fishing lobster a few summers - I can tell you that the meat from smaller lobsters are much tastier than humongo ones. But yeah…that is one big mofo..

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Acadian said:
from growing up in the Maritimes and fishing lobster a few summers - I can tell you that the meat from smaller lobsters are much tastier than humongo ones. But yeah…that is one big mofo..
isn't that the truth with so many critters? Just like meat from big deer isn't all that. it's must be that "trophy" thing that comes with a big rack..... hehe i said "big rack".

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Skookum said:
isn't that the truth with so many critters? Just like meat from big deer isn't all that. it's must be that "trophy" thing that comes with a big rack..... hehe i said "big rack".
Now sure sure about Deer - I’ve eaten meat from big Deers that was pretty darn good. I think for Deers it’s more about its habitat and what it eats.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
MMcG said:

I can't imagine a lobster that heavy - crazy! You'd need a HUGE pot to steam that sucker!
Well I'm no expert on lobster...but from what I understand a lobster that big isn't going to be good eatin...poor bastard...they shoulda just snapped a picture and lowered him back down to the ocean floor to spend the rest of his days peacefully.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Acadian said:
Now sure sure about Deer - I’ve eaten meat from big Deers that was pretty darn good. I think for Deers it’s more about its habitat and what it eats.

MY buddy here at work grew up in Lousiana, (Cajun, not Creole) and his mom shipped out 10lbs of deer sausage.
HE said he'd give me a few pounds for my next batch of Gumbo, if I give his a bowl or two. :thumb:

I'll let you know how the sausage tastes.
If it is anything like the Boudan that he gave me, it's gonna be GOOD.
:drool:

I like alternative/Game meat in general though. Lamb, Goat, Pheasant, duck, rabbit... Double :drool:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
profro said:
Yeah, I visited Maine a couple of years back and they said that there are quite a lot that tons bigger than the 1-3 lb we eat. They can't harvest the big ones because they are the brood stock.... I think.
Yup... smaller lobsters are tastier.

Trivia Tidbit: Back in the middle ages and rennaisance lobsters were considered peasant food and often used for fertilizer as well as feeding the peasants. A person of nobility wouldn't eat lobster as it was beneath them.