Quantcast

230 X 50mm shock options.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Another weird question from me, I am a less is more person and the idea of a Mulleted Commencal Clash with 120mm rear travel seems like a bit of fun.
So, does anyone make a 230mm shock that either comes already set at 50mm stroke or can be easily set to that spec?
Would rather it be air sprung and not Fox, coil and Sprindex would be okay though.

Cheers lads.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Another weird question from me, I am a less is more person and the idea of a Mulleted Commencal Clash with 120mm rear travel seems like a bit of fun.
So, does anyone make a 230mm shock that either comes already set at 50mm stroke or can be easily set to that spec?
Would rather it be air sprung and not Fox, coil and Sprindex would be okay though.

Cheers lads.
If you are handy, you could just take a 230x60 shock, mount a 10mm stroke reducer between the bottomout o-ring and the eyelet. Make sure the stroke reducer is large enough that it also takes a lot of air volume.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

Cheers lads.
I have a Bomber Air 230x60mm shock. I noticed when I bottom it out it doesn't completely bottom out on the shock shaft (there's about 5mm of shock shaft left, duh it's probably just a 230x65 shock with a 5mm bottom out bumper to make it a 230x60). Well, I popped it open the other day to change the volume spacer and noticed a 5mm bottom out spacer sitting in there, I wonder if you could just stack 2 more (3x5mm, removing 15mm of travel from the original 65mm stroke to give you a 230x50 shock effectively)? Granted you'd need to probably take it apart to stack some more bottom out spacers.

Last edited:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I have a Bomber Air 230x60mm shock. I noticed when I bottom it out it doesn't completely bottom out on the shock shaft (there's about 5mm of shock shaft left, duh it's probably just a 230x65 shock with a 5mm bottom out bumper to make it a 230x60). Well, I popped it open the other day to change the volume spacer and noticed a 5mm bottom out spacer sitting in there, I wonder if you could just stack 2 more (3x5mm, removing 15mm of travel from the original 65mm stroke to give you a 230x50 shock effectively)? Granted you'd need to probably take it apart to stack some more bottom out spacers.
Most metric air shocks are manufactured with the longest travel for a given E2E and then chucked full of 2.5mm spacers to complete the shorter stroke SKUs. Downsizing usually goes as far as 10mm though.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
You could also just not worry about the actual limiter, but put a bigger (probably start with biggest) volume reducer and then set it to 15mm of sag .. which is ~25% sag on the 60mm stroke and ~30% sag at 50mm of stroke.

essentially just set the shock up as if it had 50mm stroke, just without the 10mm clip mentioned above

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I know you said not Fox, but the stroke reducers on the Float X, DHX, and DHX2 just bolt on to the end of the damper body so you can stack a bunch of extra ones on there quite easily.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I know you said not Fox, but the stroke reducers on the Float X, DHX, and DHX2 just bolt on to the end of the damper body so you can stack a bunch of extra ones on there quite easily.
Do they have HBO or just rely on a bumper?
I know nothing about shocks, I went from a Stoy to a Mara.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
With pretty much any spacing solution, if you had an HBO shock, the HBO would not be active anyway.