Quantcast

230lbs rider...Fox40 or Boxxer WC?

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Hi,
as the title says I'm around 230lbs with all my bike gear on and I'm planning on getting a V10 again for next season, used to race a bit, but going to hit the big stuff at safe speeds without risking too much :D. For pricing reasons I have to choose between the Boxxer WC and the Fox 40. I'm more inclined towards the 40 because I've been riding different iterations of the Talas 36 the last 4 years on my all-mountain bikes and have had only good things to say about it. My problem is I'm not sure if I'll be able to set up the spring rate on the 40 properly, given that you can only set it up with different springs and a preload adjuster. I used to have a Boxxer Team before and I know, not being able to dial the SAG exactly how you want bothered me and the preload adjuster didn't do much there. The fork will go on the new V10c XL with a Vivid air for starters.
And in general, 40 or Boxxer WC for a heavy rider? Cheers!
P.S: searched the forum and didn't find anything relating heavy riders to this specific choice of forks...but feel free to point the thread if I missed it and delete this one.
P.S: Hi everyone!...has been a long time since I posted something, was busy finishing study stuff...next week I should be an engineer :D

Id also consider the dorado, which uses an air spring. But of the 2 listed, id go with the fox. They are supposed to have air assist for 2013 to help dial in preload alittle easier. The WC is an excellent fork but imho requires regular maintenance to make it run smoothly.

Last edited:

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I'm a little guy at 165, but here's my 2 cents. 40 all the way! I have a 2012 40, and I've ridden the 2012 WC. I also know several people with WCs, and I'm subjected to their constant whining. As mentioned, the WC requires regular rebuilds to feel smooth, and even after a fresh rebuild, it has more stiction than a 40. I also like the damping characteristics of the 40 more. I'm no suspension guru but I feel that the 40 is way more composed without feeling overly harsh. I could tune the WC to give me a roughly similar feel to the 40, but I felt like I had to crank the compression higher, giving me a more jarring ride. Finally, the 40 is stiffer than the WC, which will probably be even more noticeable to someone 65lbs heavier than me.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I've owned a Boxxer, 888, 40 and Dorado. And rode other people's 40s, 888s and Boxxers over the years.

Anything but a Boxxer.

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
Hi,
as the title says I'm around 230lbs with all my bike gear on and I'm planning on getting a V10 again for next season, used to race a bit, but going to hit the big stuff at safe speeds without risking too much :D. For pricing reasons I have to choose between the Boxxer WC and the Fox 40. I'm more inclined towards the 40 because I've been riding different iterations of the Talas 36 the last 4 years on my all-mountain bikes and have had only good things to say about it. My problem is I'm not sure if I'll be able to set up the spring rate on the 40 properly, given that you can only set it up with different springs and a preload adjuster. I used to have a Boxxer Team before and I know, not being able to dial the SAG exactly how you want bothered me and the preload adjuster didn't do much there. The fork will go on the new V10c XL with a Vivid air for starters.
And in general, 40 or Boxxer WC for a heavy rider? Cheers!
P.S: searched the forum and didn't find anything relating heavy riders to this specific choice of forks...but feel free to point the thread if I missed it and delete this one.
P.S: Hi everyone!...has been a long time since I posted something, was busy finishing study stuff...next week I should be an engineer :D
We offer a larger rider set-up with a custom dual spring dual damper version of our cartridge kit for the Marzocchi 888.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Marz/Marzocchi%20888%2038%20DD.htm

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Love my 888 on my v10c.

Slightly off topic but be aware that you will have a hard time getting enough pressure in a Vivid Air to work at your weight. I'm around 190 and am switching back to coil after riding the Vivid air for a while. There seems to be a growing consensus that the Vivid Air is not super for bigger folks. At your weight you will need a ridiculous amount of pressure to get any kind of support out of that shock - like close to 300 psi.

Personally I'd go with a Fox coil shock and either a 40 or a 888.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Had a hard time finding anyone with a 888 and around my weight. You think I'll hit below 35% SAG with the firmest spring?

Thanks for the info on the Vivid Air! Didn't occur to me to check the pressure tables since I'm running a CCDBair on my Nomadc and had forgotten the high pressures. I run 148psi on the DBair for 30% SAG. I'll try and convince the SC distributor to sell me the bike with no shock too and put a DBair...that's gonna be tricky.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Had a hard time finding anyone with a 888 and around my weight. You think I'll hit below 35% SAG with the firmest spring?

Thanks for the info on the Vivid Air! Didn't occur to me to check the pressure tables since I'm running a CCDBair on my Nomadc and had forgotten the high pressures. I run 148psi on the DBair for 30% SAG. I'll try and convince the SC distributor to sell me the bike with no shock too and put a DBair...that's gonna be tricky.
I can't say on the fork. At 190 I feel like I'm between the (stock) med and firm springs, so the xtra firm should be pretty damn burly. Try looking in the 888 EVO ti tuning thread. That dual spring Avy set up looks pretty rad though!

As for the shock I can only speak to the vivid air.

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
I'm 225+ geared up, 2010 Boxxer WC, rebuilt once per season with 'proper' fluids, 2011 Vivid Air, no rebuild yet. Plenty of rocky NE downhill and no complaints about servicing or performance. My buddies with 40s service just as much or more, though my Boxxer does 'give' a bit more in g-outs/turns=my 2 cents

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I can't say on the fork. At 190 I feel like I'm between the (stock) med and firm springs, so the xtra firm should be pretty damn burly. Try looking in the 888 EVO ti tuning thread. That dual spring Avy set up looks pretty rad though!

As for the shock I can only speak to the vivid air.
I'm 215 with the x-firm ti spring (also run steel before) and its maybe just SLIGHTLY under sprung for me.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Gonna throw this into the discussion:
BOS Idylle RaRe, my shop has BOS and would get a comparable price if not 10% higher than Fox or RS. And just checked, they ship with three different springs up to 110kg (242.5lbs).

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm around 180 or so before gear. I wouldn't run the stock spring at all at my weight in a 888. Either firm with a higher oil height or x-firm with a lower oil height.

The Dorado is a nice option for heavier guys. Good reliable air spring in that fork.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Gonna throw this into the discussion:
BOS Idylle RaRe, my shop has BOS and would get a comparable price if not 10% higher than Fox or RS. And just checked, they ship with three different springs up to 110kg (242.5lbs).
Be aware that BOS recommendations for springs are way stiff unless you ride at WC speed. I am now riding a spring that is recommended for a rider 50 pounds lower than what I weigh.
BTW: RaRe has an air spring for 2013.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Do they have actual springrates marked on there? 5.5kg is stock 888, then 6.5kg then 7.5kg (roughly). At your weight you'd want something in the 7.5kg range.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008

I'm 220 or 100kg in devils system and the x-firm spring on a 888 is perfect.