Quantcast

23t chainwheel advice wanted for Faction 22

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
OK. So it seems complicated to change the back driver on my Zietgeist 22. So, was advised to go 23t with the 9 on the back. Good excuse to buy something shiney.
Was wondering if there are any issues with running such a gearing though? On a 20 inch it would be 23 x 8
Is it going to put extra strain on the chain, or put the chain too close to the frame?
Also, do I have to take the cranks off to fit it? or can I just unscrew the allen bolt and bolt the new one on?
Was thinking of going for a profile imperial , cheers

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Thanks. How do I check if it's 19mm and 48 spline. Is 19mm the bore hole? They are just stock, no name cranks that came with the bike. 3 piece cro-mo.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
19mm is width of your bottom bracket shell. It's either 19 or 22mm and 48 spline would be the type of BB your crank arms mount to.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
19mm is width of your bottom bracket shell. It's either 19 or 22mm . . . .
19mm / 22mm = spindle diameters
68mm, 73mm etc. = bb widths.

25.4mm is one inch.

the stock Zeitgeist cranks are not 48 spline (Profile style). they are 6- or 8-spline style that come on a lot of stock bmx bikes. but, yes, it is very simple to switch sprockets and no it won't cause any problems. you may have to take a link out of your chain though.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
forget the spline drive sprocket. yes you'll need to remove the drive side crank arm to replace the sprocket.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
19mm / 22mm = spindle diameters
68mm, 73mm etc. = bb widths.

25.4mm is one inch.

the stock Zeitgeist cranks are not 48 spline (Profile style). they are 6- or 8-spline style that come on a lot of stock bmx bikes. but, yes, it is very simple to switch sprockets and no it won't cause any problems. you may have to take a link out of your chain though.
thanks for correcting my mistake.:thumb:

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Oldtricks, did you measure the spindle diameter?
I had a go and think it's 22mm - am getting a micrometer from work today to make sure.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
Been away and never did get round to buying that chainwheel. Sorry for being a dumb ass, but which one of these will fit. Profile looks the nicest, but I gather that won't fit. Right?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Been away and never did get round to buying that chainwheel. Sorry for being a dumb ass, but which one of these will fit. Profile looks the nicest, but I gather that won't fit. Right?
A lot of bmx sprockets, the hole is for 22mm but there's a shim/insert/washer thing that brings it down to 19mm. So they work for both.
I'm kinda wondering tho why you want to change it. The current 25/9 with 22" wheels, results in a nice stout 61 gear inches. You can haul azz on street rides, but it's not too stout as to be unmanageable.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
It's true it's good for going fast on the street. But I ride a lot in some small, tight parks and I find it a bit tough to get a run in sometimes. I also like to cruise about town with the seat up... which is a bit of a work out for my 45 year old legs... but yeah, I might just get used to it.