Quantcast

24" BMX Battle

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Ok, I'm going to buy that Specialized and then we can have a REAL battle!

meet me by the flagpole at 2:30!

(seriously though, i'm buying that bike)
Ordered it today. Should be putting it together on Friday. :D

Now if WCH shipped his old frame out, I should be rockin a liquid pretty soon. Between these two frames, I should have a good idea of what length frame I'll want to order. :)

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
How about the S & M 24 Dirt bike? Has anyone ridden one of those? The geo looks pretty good. Was wondering how it compared to the Sunday and Liquid... Not that I've ridden those either.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
How about the S & M 24 Dirt bike? Has anyone ridden one of those? The geo looks pretty good. Was wondering how it compared to the Sunday and Liquid... Not that I've ridden those either.
I have a model c and have ridden the new dirt bike. The dirt bike has a lower bb and feels mor like a race cruiser. I prefer the og model c over the dirt bike and the new wave c.

oldtricks

Chimp
Feb 23, 2009
that's disapointing. I was hoping it would be something a bit more street and park, something halfway between the Sunday and Liquid would have been nice. I don't really ride trails, and if i do they are small , tight ones. Most of the skateparks are pretty tight around here as well. On the other hand the sunday looks a bit too steep and squashed for me.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
that's disapointing. I was hoping it would be something a bit more street and park, something halfway between the Sunday and Liquid would have been nice. I don't really ride trails, and if i do they are small , tight ones. Most of the skateparks are pretty tight around here as well. On the other hand the sunday looks a bit too steep and squashed for me.
it sounds like you'd like the 22"tt Liquid. the Liquid Feeback is already "half way" in between Sunday and race cruisers as far as bb height goes. with the super-short back end (14.25"cs slammed) i would also say the Liquid is an ideal street/park set up. i won't repost the pics . . . but that was the first 24" i ever rode where both icepick and smith grinds i could not only do, but felt good, (even better than when i used to do them on 20"s). i even did feeble-to-manual-to feeble and other combos like feeble to smith. even just hop-to-manuals feel great. so for me, i think of it as a street/park bike, because for trails i would normally bring my blackmarket 26".

you might also like the Sunday Wave C, because it's a little roomier in the front and shorter in the back.

Last edited:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
If you buy a Dirt Bike or Liquid, you'll have to buy all the other parts to go with it.

I say you do what most everyone else does and buy one of the completes that are available. Ride that for a bit and determine what it is that you would want to change.

Then see if one of the after market frames fits what you're looking for.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Got the P24. the bars are 8.5 inches tall and there is 3/4 of an inch of spacers under the stem. I swapped out my good pedals, slams/challenger stem and seat.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Got the P24. the bars are 8.5 inches tall and there is 3/4 of an inch of spacers under the stem. I swapped out my good pedals, slams/challenger stem and seat.
Apparently some of the P24's are being shipped with the full-size bmx bar, while others have the 7"ish cruiser bar. Don't know if it's a mistake or what. (The website spec says 7.5". )Buddy got his bars swapped by the Specialized dealer.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Thats getting to be more common, very smart. Get a little flex over the length of the fork to take a little sting out.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
After spending a few hours at the local little jumps I'm pretty excited about this bike. I don't know how people could ride a shorter frame. I definitely get toe buzz when doing x-ups. I bet a 22 inch frame would clear my toes but there is no way I'd ride a 21.25.

This bike is very stable in the air and wants to FLY. overshooting is way too easy. :)

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
I want a 24" bmx again lol. I'm too indecisive. Yesterday i was gunna build up a 24" NS Suburban. Today I was thinking of keeping my mtb 26 and getting a Dartmoor.

TJ from Oz

Chimp
May 21, 2011
I want a 24" bmx again lol. I'm too indecisive. Yesterday i was gunna build up a 24" NS Suburban. Today I was thinking of keeping my mtb 26 and getting a Dartmoor.
Paulyd, go for a Liquid.I take mine down the local SP with my lad and must say that it is a dream to ride,Im no pro rider but this is the best feeling 24 I have ever ridden. Hats off to the guys at Liquid!!

Last edited:

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
pnj how much toe clearance do you have on the p24. I originally wanted to do a liquid build but never have had a 24 bike it could be an expensive experiment.that bike seems solid and I can get one local

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
No toe clearance on the P24....

I have a 22.25 Liquid and run 170 cranks. My toes just hang over the front of the pedal and I STILL touch the front tire when I do x-ups. Oddly, it's when I spin the bars back from 180 though. So it does clear when I first spin the bars....

That aside, the P24 rode GREAT. Really Great.

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
thanks for the info.guess I will have to spend the cash and do it legitimate. hope it wont be like the 20 I built up thinking it was the answer to all my problems then go to the skatepark for an hour and realize your body is not in the shape it used to be.the 20 inch bike I built was the stupidest thing I have done with my money since pogs.seriously who builds up a cutom 20 only to discover they hate it.sorry I vented a bit.

sealclubber

Monkey
Nov 21, 2007
hahah pogs. they were the best.

really the 24 should be perfect if you already tried making the perfect bike out of a 20. my only concern is you say your body isnt in the shape it used to be. if youve ridden a 26 with front suspension and figured you needed less cushion, then the 24 will be perfect. if you just went and built a 20 to get back into things, then the 24 will feel close to the same, just bigger, more stable, and faster.

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
I have already switched to rigid forks on my 26 and that helped out a bunch as far as making the bike more nimble. I guess I will go ahead and do a 24 build my biggest complaint about 26 is the wheels are so temperamental as far as staying true that's another reason I want to try 24 the wheels are supposed to be stronger.

iksmudge

Monkey
Nov 4, 2008
Hi, I have a model C with 21.25" frame. I put a 60mm stem on it (proper 40 stem).
It feels much bigger than the faction but by using the same bars I have on the faction, the cock pit size is virtually the same ( in terms of height). You just feel a little higher on the Sunday but it has more reach.
I don't do Xups, never have been able to, so the 22" tt has no use for me.
Anyone had the 21.25 and then went 22 tt? I'd like to know what you gain/ what the difference is.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
For me, longer TT has always felt better. Overall more stable, harder to go OTB on. But you do sacrifice some handling.
Shorter bikes shine at the park, and for freestyle street, being more compact, flickable, and easier to throw around and do spin tricks. Longer bikes shine at the dirt jumps, being more stable.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I have already switched to rigid forks on my 26 and that helped out a bunch as far as making the bike more nimble. I guess I will go ahead and do a 24 build my biggest complaint about 26 is the wheels are so temperamental as far as staying true that's another reason I want to try 24 the wheels are supposed to be stronger.
24's are tougher, but still a lot easier to taco than a 20" wheel. Quality spokes and rims, + careful attention to spoke tension is a MUST.

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
I will do a 22 tt Sunday or liquid definitely leaning more towards the liquid.I will use the hubs from my failed 20 so what do you guys recommend for rims and tires.I will get some 24 pitch forks and new bars.What do you recommend for bar rise being 5 10. I know its all personal preference but was wondering what's a good starting point

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I will do a 22 tt Sunday or liquid definitely leaning more towards the liquid.I will use the hubs from my failed 20 so what do you guys recommend for rims and tires.I will get some 24 pitch forks and new bars.What do you recommend for bar rise being 5 10. I know its all personal preference but was wondering what's a good starting point
Liquid. Sunday has a RIDICULOUSLY high BB. Some people like that, but it's quite different.
There are quite a few posts about bar height for these things if you search the forums... From what I read, tall bars with a drop stem is the way to go.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
LIQUID for sure!

I'm so stoked on mine. I'm 5'8" and really love the longer one. I'd go with taller bars and a drop stem, as mentioned. I'd like to get some 7" bars but I can't find any... (I have a top load stem)

DO NOT GET CHROME S&M forks. trust me... they chromed the steer tube and nothing fits on it. (stem/headset/etc)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Also, Danscomp has rims on sale for 41 bucks or something. Rhyno XL's.

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
LIQUID for sure!

I'm so stoked on mine. I'm 5'8" and really love the longer one. I'd go with taller bars and a drop stem, as mentioned. I'd like to get some 7" bars but I can't find any... (I have a top load stem)

DO NOT GET CHROME S&M forks. trust me... they chromed the steer tube and nothing fits on it. (stem/headset/etc)
I feel like 7" or 7.5 (if you are tall) are perfect for a 24"
Go to DansComp and you should have no trouble finding some 7in" rise stuff

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I feel like 7" or 7.5 (if you are tall) are perfect for a 24"
Go to DansComp and you should have no trouble finding some 7in" rise stuff
yeah, not to mention there are a lot of 7.25 and 7.75 bars available on the used or discounted market, since the trend in 20" BMX is 8"+ bars right now. i know EMPIRE, for one, has a box of discounted handlebars, and a lot of them are mid-7"s.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
All the 7" bars I see on Dans are far less than 28" wide.....
I will never buy a pair of Eastern/nitrous bars again. so they are out of the question....

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I may be on the market for a cruiser so glad I found this thread since I dont know a lot about BMX lol

Going to be riding streets

So Im lookin at the sunday wave-c and spec P.24, The liquid looks sweet but it checking out the geo is seems like its way more DJ biased than street. Im lookin for a pure street freestyle 24" rig.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
As you say yourself the liquid is biased towards DJ, but that doesn't mean it's not usable for street. In fact I ride nothing but street on it, and I find it ideal (mind you I'm far from a pro though) The short rear end makes for easy manuals and spinning is good too, but because the bb is not super high and front is not super short you get a more relaxed ride than most of today's pure street geos, which I find too twitchy for my likings.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Eater of Dog u know I cant afford that Dmac shiet, thats why Im on a Czar 24! lol Im just lookin for something different since I have to sell off a ton of my bikes, I will basically have my trials and thats it.

the BB on the Sunday is rediculously high, higher than a lot of trials rigs lol the P.24 would be a nice compromise but the CS's are over 15" long wtf is with that

Im so torn Im asking around to see if I can ride a new sunday to get a feel for it.

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I just did some quick math, and the Sunday has a 38.25mm BB rise while my czar has +35...might be a good choice since personally my czar doesnt feel rediculously high to me personally