Quantcast

24" BMX Freestyle Bike

Fleawest

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
Does anyone ride a BMX freestyle bike with 24" rims? I'm thinking of building one to cruze downtown. Are there any drawbacks to the larger size over the 20"? I want to add a detangler system, pegs & 3pc crank with bash guard. I'm 6'-2" and could use the extra size.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
a lot of people have done street riding on cruisers (grinds, handrails, manuals, 180s etc etc etc).

not many people i know of have ridden flatland on a 24, although i tried it as an experiment/project. it's not ideal for new school flatland (lots of fast spinning) but it's definitely doable and fun if you just want a cruising bike that you can also flatland on. the weight and wheel size slows things down, but it also feels super solid--some tricks i'm actually more consistent on the 24. mine is a DK General Lee 24" (which is a little too heavy.... i think the WTP avenue would be better).

here's a clip.
Object moved

FIT cruiser:

We The People "AVENUE" for example.

good thread to check out:
"Speaking of Street Cruisers"

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196889

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
Mirraco 20forty, DK Cygnus ( I'm thinking about picking one up), Giant Method 24, Sunday (soon), Haro backtrail 24, Felt Brink24, DK general lee, Shadow invisible man, I thnks that's it for 24" Freestyle BMX

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
can't appreciate a WTP till you have owned one. Nice welds just really nice build quality. they just don't get the publicity they deserve. there are lesser quality bikes that sell better just because of hype.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
answered my own question and I was wrong they are BASED in Germany BUT
Where are the frames made.
They are made in Taiwan with Sanko Japanese 4130. This is the very best material available and although we were the first to use it, several other well respected firms now use it too.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
WTP is def made in Taiwan. Nothing wrong with that, though. There is a ton of quality bmx stuff coming from the island these days.

I've been riding the Giant Method 24. It's fun on the trails, but like most of these cruisers, I think the bb is too low and the chainstays too long for it to really handle similar to a 20".

Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
There's a method 24" at my LBS I'm STRONGLY considering purchasing over a DK Cygnus or WTP or Mirraco 20forty... I'd really like to hear about the method though as I love my 20" method team.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I just picked up the Fit. I like it so far, but I may have to find some 7" bars for it. Anyone know of 7" rise, 27"-28" wide bars? Even with the drop stem flipped up, the cockpit is 1.5" shorter than my 26, which is totally perfect for me.

I saw the Method 24 in a shop yesterday. it has the same beefy-as-hell Alienation Black Sheep rims that the Fit comes with. That would be a big reason to pick that over the WTP, which doesn't have a doublewall front rim.
The Giant is a pretty snazzy little bike for $400, if you can get past the paint job.

-rob

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I saw the Method 24 in a shop yesterday. it has the same beefy-as-hell Alienation Black Sheep rims that the Fit comes with. That would be a big reason to pick that over the WTP, which doesn't have a doublewall front rim.
The Giant is a pretty snazzy little bike for $400, if you can get past the paint job.

-rob
The paint job is my favorite part! One of the things I really like about the method is the 22" TT. I'm pretty sure that's longer than most of the others. It's long enough to clear for x-ups/barspins, but it feels like a 21" tt 20 inch to me.

Feb 17, 2009
San Francisco
I think I'm sold. My birthday is in two weeks so I'm thinkin' Method 24" here I come. I love the paint job as well, and the finish looked really good to me, it just looks a little thin... or something. So I gather form you pic that it will hold up to serious riding.. does it feel strong? how's the weight? Unfortunately my back is messed up now so I can't even go test one.

I think most of the other cruisers have a 21 or 21.5 TT

Also.. do you ride the stock bas or larger ones?

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Another point for the Method would be that 990's work better when they're on the chainstays (the old standard way) than when they are upside-down on the seatstays (the 2000's design)....

It has to do with a more direct/straight-line pull through the seat tube to the brake and having a shorter straddle cable. Doesn't look quite as new school, but it's a good idea (unless for some reason you want micro gearing).

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
(unless for some reason you want micro gearing).
Actually, that is one issue on the bike. It comes with 33/12 gearing which is HUGE. I don't think you can get a bigger cassette for that hub and a smaller chain ring would probably cause the chain to hit the brake. I'm going to try to get a lower profile brake, so I can at least go down to 29/30.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
ok I am thinking about a 24 either the WTP avenue, Method 24 or the Fit cr24. what are the pro and cons of each? looking for people that actually have them. Also my current ss dj/ urban bike is an identiti DrJekyll 26" wheels 28x13 gearing it is actually like a big bmx bike any advantage of going to a 24"? or just stay with my 26? I am also putting my MOB back together geared for ds, 4x and trail riding. I guess the question is do I really need another bike? well they are better than drugs, tobacco or alcohol.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Actually, that is one issue on the bike. It comes with 33/12 gearing which is HUGE. I don't think you can get a bigger cassette for that hub and a smaller chain ring would probably cause the chain to hit the brake. I'm going to try to get a lower profile brake, so I can at least go down to 29/30.
yeah, 33/12 with 24 inch wheels is a problem. it comes out to 66 gear inches. note that with a 20" wheel 33/12 * 20 = 55 (the ideal all around gear inches). so it appears somebody at Giant doesn't understand a really simple gear ratio formula.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
you gotta multiply times wheel size.

33/12 = 2.75 * 24 = 66

normal single speed gear inches is 54-58.

if you run a 26" then 28x13, 26x12, 30x14 all come out to about 57 gear inches which is prefered.

33/12 at 66 is huge on a 24" would me difficult or impossible for pedal kicks and sprinting moves

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Fly brakes I found to be low profile and probably the best rim stoppers out there at least on a 20"

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
that's because it is you need i think a 9 or 10t rear driver with that 33 upfront
No, 33/14 or 33/15 would be fine.

33/14 = 2.35 X 24 = 56.5 gear inches. (Not taking into account big tires)

I don't know what hub this bike comes with, but you can run 14t or 15t cogs on most cassette hubs.

Last edited:

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
twin top tube has a retro freestyle vibe...

Brooklyn Machine Works "T.T. cruiser"

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/bikes.html

A.K.A "The Pooky Twin Toptube"

The Twin Top Tube Cruiser evolved from the original 1996 Brooklyn Cruiser. The new “POOKY” is made in Brooklyn with US 4130 chromoly and custom machined parts. It has been updated to use 135mm rear disc hubs with our milled aluminum disk brake hanger and chain tensioner. The price includes frame, fork, and matching stem. The Pookie is also available as complete bike on a special order. Fully built, the Twin Top Tube Cruiser is a high profile cruiser that attracts much deserved attention.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
twin top tube has a retro freestyle vibe...

Brooklyn Machine Works "T.T. cruiser"

http://www.brooklynmachineworks.com/site/bikes.html

A.K.A "The Pooky Twin Toptube"

The Twin Top Tube Cruiser evolved from the original 1996 Brooklyn Cruiser. The new “POOKY” is made in Brooklyn with US 4130 chromoly and custom machined parts. It has been updated to use 135mm rear disc hubs with our milled aluminum disk brake hanger and chain tensioner. The price includes frame, fork, and matching stem. The Pookie is also available as complete bike on a special order. Fully built, the Twin Top Tube Cruiser is a high profile cruiser that attracts much deserved attention.

Generally, I could care less about the looks of a bike, but that build does that frame no justice. Again, it is my personal opinion / preference, but disc brakes have no place on a bmx or dj bike. A properly tuned set of quality mechs are more than enough.

I dig the double top tube, because it is kind of like the old Torquer frames, but the execution does not "do-it" for me.

Stas

Chimp
Jun 28, 2015
Question about Giant Method
Tell me, please, is it a good idea to replace sprocket with 28 tooth and save rear cogs 12?
28/12 come out to 56 gear