Quantcast

'24 Crankworx Whistler / Canadian Open DH

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I did not see much about this race, and I don'T always watch the Crankworx races, but I was happy to catch it live on my last vacation day and hearing Rob Warner with Elliott Jackson commentate is always a good time.

The track has a great mix of everything, hopefully it will be included in the rumored 10-12 world cup stops next year. It was bone-dry and dusty, conditions that we haven't really seen yet this summer in Eastern Canada. I drove all around BC, Alberta and the Yukon mahy times, but I never made it to Whistler. Don't ask why, I don't know.

The women's race was interesting, they were quick in this hard track and many less-known younger riders are coming up. Jenna Hastings won it by a good margin, so hopefully a sign that she recovered from her last injury.

Kirk Mcdowall (Norco factory rider and engineer) still did a pretty good time for an engineer that stepped to WC racing this year. It must be nice for a team to have a factory rider, while also being an engineer for the brand, and also racing alongside Greg Minnaar. Their race bike graphics are a bit out there, but I really like it.They went all out and it makes them stand out from the crowd even if I'm a sucker for a raw frame. That's the kind of too much that is enough to be nice IMO.

Fearon looked insanely quick, but it was not enough to secure a podium. Ronan went down right after the mental drop/roll onto a wooden ramp, but hopefully he was fine. I saw a preview last year with Rob Warner who rode the track and just rolly down that chute was scary. Seeing them jump into it really gives another perspective on WC racers. (I had no doubts, but still). Afterwards, Ronan stood up, took his bike and then stopped with the crowd, took a few sips of a spectator's beer and left the scene by doubling a crazy tech section right afterwards. He gave a good show and made the most of his run down. It must be hard to screw a race run, but when there is nothing left to do but having fun, it's nice to see that some riders do it for the fans and IMO it gives a nice image to the brand/team.

It might only be a coincidence, but watching the race, the only 2 male riders who took a quick "hand break" and shook their hands at the bottom were on SRAM Mavens. Many others were riding the same brakes and did nothing, though, so that might just be a coincidence. I did not remember their names and which forks they were riding either.

(Awaiting the replay for the last 10 riders).

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Kye A'hern's crash was brutal, we didn't see on camera where he ended up in the forest, but he seemed to have banged pretty hard on big rocks. No info from the medics, but the course hold was pretty long.

Dakotah had a great run and I thought he'd get the win but Jakob Jewett came down last and bested Dak's time by 0.7 secs.

Dany Hart finished 5th and he said that the course was as gnarly or more than a regular WC race. Like an in between a WC race and Hardline.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The coverage and commentary are just so dialled. How good is Redbull.tv bookmarking the riders runs on the replay so you can skip through it and even highlighting the crashes.

Cmon Discovery.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Danny Hart said he had to borrow a front wheel from someone riding in the park for his race run. He got to the top and realized he had a front flat. Different wheel, tire, pressure. Haha. And yeah, some of those crashes were brutal. It was good to see most everyone get back up.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Kye's crash was a bad one. As it happened you just knew there was going to be a long course hold for it, he just kept tumbling. I hope he's alright.

Fun race to watch.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Video from Danny.

Can you count how many rim pings you can hear during his race run at the end?

I wonder if buddy got his wheel back...if he even wants it back? :rofl:

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
such a sick track. hoping we get a wc one of these years. saw a rumor on vital about a new race at (an unnamed) ski resort/bikepark next season; crossing fingers.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Video from Danny.

Can you count how many rim pings you can hear during his race run at the end?

I wonder if buddy got his wheel back...if he even wants it back? :rofl:
I wonder how the Goat would have been,with all his mis-haps with Tires and Flats?

Danny is a Stud,Love his forever life is chill attitude.

On another note. Gwin is ready,new Squish,new Shock’s,healthy,I’m ready.

Avy

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It might only be a coincidence, but watching the race, the only 2 male riders who took a quick "hand break" and shook their hands at the bottom were on SRAM Mavens. Many others were riding the same brakes and did nothing, though, so that might just be a coincidence. I did not remember their names and which forks they were riding either.
I'd say coincidence. I have a set of Mavens and I don't find them to increase arm pump at all. In fact, I'd even say they're my favorite part on my enduro bike...and it's pretty loaded with nice stuff. :)

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Yeah, I just noticed the commentators mentionning it, but so many factors come into play. Even grips, etc. This looked like a really physical trail indeed, everyone seemed drained at the bottom.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yeah, I just noticed the commentators mentionning it, but so many factors come into play. Even grips, etc. This looked like a really physical trail indeed, everyone seemed drained at the bottom.
That’s Funny. I was reading the “brake pump” last couple of post’s here,but was thinking of a Moi Moi YT video I just saw with Rude and buddies going Steep and Greazy in Canada I think. There was 1 guy with bad pump,kept shaking his hands. Great Video. Avy got confused.

On the Hart YT video if you look close,you can see Danny grab his brake lever just before Go Time. It was Interesting to see How much Pull Danny Like’s on his Brake. I wanna say it was his right hand,but I do not know how Danny runs his setup? In any case,if It was his Front Brake,the new wheel would cause a disruption on the setting no? So what I saw could be wrong due to the wheel? Correct?

Avy