Quantcast

24 cruiser for ds?

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
wondering why I never see anyone run a 24 bmx cruiser for ds, would that be legal?

plenty of people run what they brung and used ss and or 24 wheels on park bikes.

Thought I saw an old pic of tomac using one in ds way back in the day.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I'm sure it's been done at smaller comps. For big races 26" wheels are specified.

Don't know if there is any advantage. Anyone ever tried it?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I worked with Cully a bunch back in the day when he was doing 24" slalom bikes. As the tracks got faster, it got sketchier, and much like 29er DH tires, the tire selection was not great (tires sucked generally then anyways, but we could only put on a comp3, which didn't work at the nationals).

Harry Leary and Dave Urkhart also ran 24" slalom bikes, simply was not 'better'.

This is all late 80's, early 90's btw

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Mid to late 90's, SE Racing put out a 24" Mountain Bike race frame designed around a single ring front and cassette rear wheel w/ 3" travel forks. Our buddy Jon Sarver rocked it pretty dang awesomely, but he could ride a tube of toothpaste to the podium.

Here in the South, where the slaloms were super tight, it worked great. But like Stik said, in the end tires weren't available.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
How do head angles compare from a modern day cruiser to 24" ds bikes of yore?

I just finished building up an Intense cruiser and while I love it, I am not used to riding anything with a 73 degree HA!