Quantcast

24" cruiser rims etc.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i need new rims/ tires on my cruiser and i havent found many options. i have alex MX-22's now and i dont really like them. too bulky. i want something like the odyssey hazards but in 24"? is that a possible thing? does anyone make something similar? chrome rear black front. i dont want rhyno lites or a dumb race rim like FMF's or something. also do any companies make a good, fast rolling 24" street tire? i ahd maxx daddys and holy rollers but i want a street specific. no hookworms either. also, im going down to a 25/9 gearing i think i will be using an animal sprocket and an odyssey driver? do i need a special driver/cassette thingy for my hub? or is there a regular freewheel i can use? i have primo powerbomb hubs BTW.

thanks all

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
I have Rhyno Lites and like them a lot.
Maxxis Holy Roller 24x1.75 i think, or maybe try and find some 24" mtb street tires. Arrow launch or something.

You need a cassette hub to run 25-9 and not all cassette hub can do so. I recommend Profile. And not all frames can run 25-9 because of the chainstay. And anyway, the 25-9 gearing is for 20" wheels, so you need to run something like 25-11 to get the same gear ratio with 24" wheels.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
a 25-9 on a cruiser would be way hard to pedal but he you could probably spin it to 50 mph, 25-9 is for 20" bikes just run a 38-16 and be done with it and you will wear through a lot less chainwheels and cogs ....

Sun BFR Rims come in Black and Chrome and are a lot stonger then Ryhno lites.

If you have room in your dropouts Arrow launches are sweet 24 inch tires in a 2.35 size other wise Holly Rollers are your best best.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I've yet to find any nice 48h replacement rims for my cruiser. Sun makes the BFR as mentioned, in 36h, so I'll probably have to buy hubs and build a whole new 36h wheelset when the time comes, front black and rear chrome. My annodized rear rim sucks ball right now, I've sanded/worn it down to some bare metal but still hate it.

Right now I'm running 36-15 and don't have any problems. If I wind up with a new wheelset I'll probably go LSD since I grind on the right, and if I do I may look to go smaller. I haven't heard the greatest reliability/durability reports about micro drive, plus the chainstay/brake clearance issues mentioned, so for me I plan to steer clear of it. I may just go down to a 30-13 and be done with it.

As for a rear tire, dunno if you have the clearance but I do, the Halo Twin Rail is the best street/park/dirt tire I can imagine. On street it rolls SUPER fast because it has two skinny raised "rails" an that's all the makes contact with the pavement. Yet the rest of the tire has a sunken tread, so it's got plenty of grip for the dj's too. It can take up to 85psi too. I absolutely love it. http://www.bti-usa.com/item.asp?item=HL5301&searchtype=&itemsearch=&filter=

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
mcA896 said:
well i have maxx daddy 1.85's on it right now and there is BARELY clearence.
Wow, you're screwed. Really. That's tight. Is it a racing bike? If so I wouldn't ride street anyways.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
its a backtrail x24. i dunno whats up with the super tight clearence though. i just want something other than my mtb for street.
anyways, heres the setup:
haro backtrail x24 frame
haro fork
haro sledgehammer (is that what they're called?) bars
pig headset
cam acura stem
odyssey modulever
evolver U brake
mx22's on haro front hub, primo son of a bomb rear,
36/14 (i think) kink sprocket
specialized 3-peice cranks

are holy rollers more rounded than the maxx daddys? i would assume so and i hope i will even have clearence for those

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hah hah, my search on Sun BFR 24"s brought some old ass threads....

. . . but worth mentioning for any 24" 48h fans, that Ben's Cycle has Sun BFR 24" 48h rims for $10.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9627&currency=USD

that, plus, 48h Odyssey cassette hubs are on sale on Amazon for only $56:
Odyssey Cassette V3 Black 48H 9t RHD Hub

Amazon.com: Odyssey Cassette V3 Black 48H 9t RHD Hub: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31kwEAgbbZL.@@AMEPARAM@@31kwEAgbbZL

so you could build a pretty sturdy rear wheel for small drive train, for relatively cheap.

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Cruiser frames generally SUCK unless you're using it for racing.
They're designed with LONG chainstays, and for THIN tires.
Check out Cru's Liquid Feedback frames, that's the sort of thing you want to be riding!
The Alex rims are good, and there are some real nice 24" bmx hoops out there now, check on Danscomp. http://www.danscomp.com/products.php?attribute=rims&by=NAME&order=ASC&cat=PARTS&show=Rims&size=24 x 1.75
Like Leethal said, 25/9 is going to blow for 24" wheels. I run 25/10 and it's on the high side, but I like it a lot. it comes in right at 60 gear inches.