Quantcast

24" DK General Lee Cruiser forks

nato

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Chicago
Hey, I purchased a DK General Lee a bit back and I have been upgrading parts on a break by break basis. I have been doing some riding in the city and have noticed the dramatic difference between front and rear disk brakes and a rear mech. brake. Are there any 24" front forks out there that can handle an abusive ride but have front brakes? It's been a thought but I'm not sure if I wanna do that yet.

Let me know!
Thanks,
Nate

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
there are mechanical and hydrolic disc brakes OR linear pull rim brakes which mount to each leg of the fork OR cantilever style which mount with a single bolt at the top of the fork in the middle of the crown..... I'm assuming you're talking about a rim brake when you say "mech", but mechanical is just a type of disc brake. now, which type was it you were looking for?

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Actually cantilever brakes are the type that were popular right before v-brakes. V-brakes are a type of cantilever brakes, but usually cantilevers are considered the type with the y shaped cable. The ones with only one mounting bolt are sidepull brakes.

O.P. I would recommend looking into getting v-brake bosses welded onto your current fork. You could get a disk fork but then you would need to buy the fork, a new wheel, and a disk brake. The total cost would probably be more than what you payed for the bike originally. Also most of the disk compatible rigid forks are suspension-corrected. That means that they are as tall as a normal mtb fork and would change how your cruiser rides too much.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Or you could probably have disk mounts welded to your fork by a frame builder too. Wouldn't cost much - certainly less than a new fork.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Changleen said:
Or you could probably have disk mounts welded to your fork by a frame builder too. Wouldn't cost much - certainly less than a new fork.
he'd still need a new hub, assuming you don't already have a disc compatible hub already. and that would mean building a new wheel.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
skurfer333 said:
he'd still need a new hub, assuming you don't already have a disc compatible hub already. and that would mean building a new wheel.
I assumed he already had that sorted.