Quantcast

24" Downhill Tires

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Yes I am still stuck in the 2003 World of biking and am still riding a big hit (blame the economy!), but I am looking for a new rear tire for my bike. Used to always run the Nokian Gazzaloddi Jrs (24x2.6") and they were great! I have tried riding a Panaracer and it sucks, the new Nokian Gazzaloddi G's kinda sucked, and the Maxxis High Rollers sucked (blew out the beading twice! Loved them up until then). So what's out there, where to find it, and what's cheap?

Thanks for any good suggestions.

Last edited:

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Dude...you are looking for something that has become very exotic, I'm afraid. I just went thru this drill for my son's bike...a bighit grom that has dual 24's on it.

Couldn't even find a High Roller for him (you meant Maxxis, didn't you) ...I used to run one on my 03 bighit comp...with great success actually...but even they have become really hard to find. I ride a Sunday now...

I ended up getting a couple Panaracer Fires they are only 2.4, at Jenson and seem kinda thin walled for an adult dh'er...but he is only 10 and weighs about 75lbs with gear...so he should get a lot of miles out of them...I will have to say though...the tread looks amazingly grippy...really nice big knobs...prolly work for ya if you can't find anything else...but Jenson has them in stock: The Kenda Nevegals in 24 are out of stock...but since you hate them...I guess it doesn't matter...but I'm sure it's "Full on" dh tire...and it may be the only "real" 24 dh tire out there anymore...good luck

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI407A35-Panaracer+Fire+Fr+24.aspx

Thats all I could find!!!

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Dude...you are looking for something that has become very exotic, I'm afraid. I just went thru this drill for my son's bike...a bighit grom that has dual 24's on it.

Couldn't even find a High Roller for him (you meant Maxxis, didn't you) ...I used to run one on my 03 bighit comp...with great success actually...but even they have become really hard to find. I ride a Sunday now...

I ended up getting a couple Panaracer Fires they are only 2.4, at Jenson and seem kinda thin walled for an adult dh'er...but he is only 10 and weighs about 75lbs with gear...so he should get a lot of miles out of them...I will have to say though...the tread looks amazingly grippy...really nice big knobs...prolly work for ya if you can't find anything else...but Jenson has them in stock: The Kenda Nevegals in 24 are out of stock...but since you hate them...I guess it doesn't matter...but I'm sure it's "Full on" dh tire...and it may be the only "real" 24 dh tire out there anymore...good luck

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/TI407A35-Panaracer+Fire+Fr+24.aspx

Thats all I could find!!!
haha yes I did mean Maxxis! Whoops, Michelin doesn't (and never has as far as I know) make 24" tires; which is a pain because I love the 26" front tires from Michelin.

I am actually running the Panaracer right now (got that confused for the Kenda's) and you are right, the sidewall is super thin! I can usually run super low psi with no problems, but not with those tires! Maybe I'll have to see if I can find the Kenda's someplace.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
One of my friends is running Kenda Nevigals in a 24x2.5 on a bike he built for his boy.
VM

jnooth

Monkey
Sep 19, 2008
Vermont Country
funny this would come up, i was at the shop today and saw a pair of specialized 24s. not sure what they were but they looked like a nice tire that will never be sold. i have always had great luck with their tires might be woth a try

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Schwalbe Big Betty and fat albert come in a 24x2.4 single ply (freeride version) so tubeless would be stout... Snakeskin sidewalls as well as the 2,4 is a bit thicker than the 2.35 and never had an issue with them....

Sorry bout the DH stuff no idea, I have time on these and they are great tires for some really nasty stuff even single ply...

Hopefully this is a little helpful...

IRC kujo and highroller as well I just did a basic search... Kujo is at ridethis.com

Last edited:

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Specialized Chunder is an awseome tire and comes (or at least it did come) in 24. It is possibly my favorite tire. Tracks great and is pretty soft but lasts a lot longer than Maxxis. Packs up a bit in the mud, though.

dytrdr5

Chimp
Feb 10, 2010
yeah I think nowadays with 24's and needing a downhill tire, arrow tires are about the only good option. I know go-ride has some and so do a couple of other vendors, every now and then a cheap set pops up on ebay also.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
arrow makes some good tires and continues to make them in 24", plus sticky rubber.

I know you don't like the maxxis brand, but I have had an arrow blow out on me and never a maxxis, so I think it's fairly random. The high roller is a very good rear tire...if you really want non-maxxis, grab an arrow. FWIW, I think my gazzi jr 2.6s were some of the worst tires I've ever ran compared to my arrows and minions.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
When i used to ride a big hit, I always used the specialized tires because they were way cheap at the local bike shop. You could gt them for about 20 bucks.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I have 24" on my daughters Grom hit too.

Check Specialized, Maxxis, and Arrow. They all make good 24" DH/FR/AM tires still.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I would recommend Arrow as well. I think they have the largest selection of 24" tires out there. They are reasonably priced and wear really well. Never had any issues with them. They aren't my preferred "race" tires however, there are lighter options other there. Go-ride carries......or used to anyway.....just about every Arrow tire and usually sold them at a very good price too. I am pretty sure you can buy direct as I have in the past but that may have changed.

gus

Chimp
Mar 17, 2002
Last I heard, Gus retired. :confused:

You'd have to get some from Duro Tire...
Cliffy ;MJ and me are still FULL throttle with tires, burning rubber till i die.
Anyone can order tires direct... we are always here tinkering, sorry you missed us at the Hood.. Arrow stepped up to the podium ...gus. :banana:

Attachments

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Cliffy ;MJ and me are still FULL throttle with tires, burning rubber till i die.
Anyone can order tires direct... we are always here tinkering, sorry you missed us at the Hood.. Arrow stepped up to the podium ...gus. :banana:
Ah, great! The rumors were told to me by someone who used to get tires from you. Maybe he needs to be re-informed. :thumb: