Quantcast

24" for a 5'9 person.

waldog

Chimp
May 18, 2010
I have a Haro forum intro 20" and the bike just feels to small. I was looking at 24" bikes and trying to find a complete bike. My budget is around $500-$600 max. I was looking at the SE brand - so cal flyer and the SE ripper x. I was also looking at the NS brand too.

Being in a small town, it's a bit hard to actually try one before buying. I was wondering if you guys could kinda give me some pointers. I plan on just riding around town on it but still have the youth feel as a bmx bike. No offroading or jumping with it, but maybe fool with wheelies and other flatland stuff. I want a bike that is actually comfortable to ride around for long periods of time and that has a seat I can actually sit on at a comfortable height. :)

Also, I would like a bike with disc type brakes instead of the v brakes, but I can live with v brakes if the price is a huge difference.

Thanks guys.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
I have a Haro forum intro 20" and the bike just feels to small. I was looking at 24" bikes and trying to find a complete bike. My budget is around $500-$600 max. I was looking at the SE brand - so cal flyer and the SE ripper x. I was also looking at the NS brand too.

Being in a small town, it's a bit hard to actually try one before buying. I was wondering if you guys could kinda give me some pointers. I plan on just riding around town on it but still have the youth feel as a bmx bike. No offroading or jumping with it, but maybe fool with wheelies and other flatland stuff. I want a bike that is actually comfortable to ride around for long periods of time and that has a seat I can actually sit on at a comfortable height. :)

Also, I would like a bike with disc type brakes instead of the v brakes, but I can live with v brakes if the price is a huge difference.

Thanks guys.
how old are you and what's your riding background? xc-mtb? or bmx a long time ago?

you're not going to find a bmx bike with disc brakes. it's just not done (that i can think of). the choice is v-brakes OR u-brake (aka dia compe "990" style). race bikes tend to have v-brakes while street/park/dirt jump/flatland bikes have u-brakes. they do actually work really well when dialed in correctly, but frequently can feel like shlt if not installed and dialed in right.

24" is a good choice for what you're talking about (riding around sitting down). although you may want to get a laid-back seat post for old skool cruzing.

the haro dirt jump/urban 26"s are worth checking out as well. something like the steel reserve rigid would have the disc brake you're looking for, yet definitely be compact enough for manuals, 180s, jumping shlt etc. etc.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav2.php

waldog

Chimp
May 18, 2010
how old are you and what's your riding background? xc-mtb? or bmx a long time ago?

you're not going to find a bmx bike with disc brakes. it's just not done (that i can think of). the choice is v-brakes OR u-brake (aka dia compe "990" style). race bikes tend to have v-brakes while street/park/dirt jump/flatland bikes have u-brakes. they do actually work really well when dialed in correctly, but frequently can feel like shlt if not installed and dialed in right.

24" is a good choice for what you're talking about (riding around sitting down). although you may want to get a laid-back seat post for old skool cruzing.

the haro dirt jump/urban 26"s are worth checking out as well. something like the steel reserve rigid would have the disc brake you're looking for, yet definitely be compact enough for manuals, 180s, jumping shlt etc. etc.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav2.php
I'm 31.