Quantcast

24 frame

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
so after alot happening, i've had to comprise because of the lack of funds, i've decided to build up a 24, but this aint no regular 24 street or dj bike, this is that kick ass 24 bike.
so i'm going to be running gears, and i have a rear saint m800 hub, so the frame not having a derailleur mount isnt a problem.
this bike is going to be used for everything from skatepark rides, to am rides, and even some descents.
i'm going to have a bmx, which is going to be used for park, and this bike will be for everything as previously stated. depending on the frame, i might go x9, but right ow, i'm staying saint, and will get one of the axle mounted derailleurs if necessary. i was planning on taking an 8/9 speed cassette and dropping the biggest gear, and putting a spacer for like a freecoaster gear.

right now i have a giant stp, but am considering all options. i want 24's, because i find they are easier to move. the only frames i know of so far is the ns suburban 24, and if i run the saint derailleur i could get an identiti p-60, but i know there are alot of other frames out there. ride now i have hussefelts. that only frames i know of that are 24 specific and possible to be geared are the ns sub and that nem pro frame, forgot the name. anyone have any other recommendations? i will consider frames made of aluminum too.

also what is the actual radius of a 24" wheel?

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Dmr transition 24 looks decent, and not too spensive. The black market contraband should be around soon also. Its supposedly going to be 350 US. Tonic fab's 24 frames look good but are a bit more pricey

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
The Dobermann Pinscher is 24" compatible and has a rear der hanger. Canadian made from American cromo. I love the BlkMkrt MOB but it ends there the rest of their bikes are made overseas.
Stay away from NS seen too many break.
There is also the Brooklyn Machine Works Park bike 24" with der mount. Made in the USA.
Tonics are really nice but expensive.
Also try Brad at Nemesis Bikes pretty sure the make a 24" or anything you want.

Least expensive great frame would be the Dobermann. Great customer service and really nice guys.
If you want to go all out The BMW is a proven bike, Tonics are really nice and I would try Nemisis Brad the owner is a really helpful and nice guy.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i'm gunna wait for the contraband, and work from there.
Might be a long wait, it has been promised for a long time now.
Being from Canada you probably would get a better deal on a Dobermann. Plus they have proven they know what they are doing with 24s.
BlkMkrt is just jumping on the 24" band wagon becuse it is getting popular. Yes they make a great 26" but then again I will only by a MOB because it is American made. I am not knocking BM, I own 2 mobs an 06 verticle dropout geared and a horizontal 09 ss

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
maybe the release has taken so long because its going to be so kick ass?
Nope! When I last spoke to and emailed Carter at BM he said the delay on the contraband and other parts was a problem with switching over to an overseas company. Then again I would not run gears on a 24 I like the USB Molly and my DOB Molosse 24 that use a bmx rear hub.

Problem with the contraband is that it won't have a der mount or der cable guides so that is alot of ugly cable ties

Also any of the Identiti frames that run the ADS dropout system can run 24s with the 24 specific dropouts. The Dr Jekyll if you want alum or the 666 series in cromo preferabbly the R made from Reynolds steel

Last edited:

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
Also any of the Identiti frames that run the ADS dropout system can run 24s with the 24 specific dropouts. The Dr Jekyll if you want alum or the 666 series in cromo preferabbly the R made from Reynolds steel
yeah i was looking at the 666r dirt, looks interesting. but are the 2 dropouts included with the frame, or do you buy them seperately. cuz i cant seem to find a link to it anywhere on their website.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
yeah i was looking at the 666r dirt, looks interesting. but are the 2 dropouts included with the frame, or do you buy them seperately. cuz i cant seem to find a link to it anywhere on their website.
the 24" dropouts are sold seperately. I can tell you Itentiti makes quality bikes I have a Dr jekyll now and I had one a few years back. kicked myself in the azz after I sold it and spent a couple of years looking for one the right price.

i have heard good things about the 666r and was actually thinking of getting one but am affraid to give up my Dr J and one of my mobs.

They are listed on the website
http://www.identitibikes.com/identitibikes/products-details.php?id=FMITDOSL

Last edited:

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Stay away from the 666. The geometry is good but it weighs 7 pounds, there is just no need for that. The other problem is the way they lay out the stays and drop outs it is a very wide rear end. Not only is the rear end wide but the cable stops are not tucked under the chain stay but a little on the out side, so if you ride in jeans they get caught and torn on the stops, if you ride in shorts your shoes get caught and torn on the stops. The bike is just not well thought out.

For what you described as your use for the bike, I would stick with the stp with 26" wheels. I love 24s on trails and the bmx track but to actually pedal around xc or fr they will be a big compromise. When I had a do all bike set up with gears I rode 26s, but now that I have a dedicated track and trail its 24s. Believe me, I have many xc miles on 24s too, I even did some laps at a 24 hour race on 24's just for laughs, but they truly suck in rock gardens unless you use the 24x3 arrow dh tires, they have tons of air volume and eat up rocks but are also crazy heavy. When I used them on a hardtail it weighed 38 pounds:eek:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Stay away from the 666. The geometry is good but it weighs 7 pounds, there is just no need for that. The other problem is the way they lay out the stays and drop outs it is a very wide rear end. Not only is the rear end wide but the cable stops are not tucked under the chain stay but a little on the out side, so if you ride in jeans they get caught and torn on the stops, if you ride in shorts your shoes get caught and torn on the stops. The bike is just not well thought out.

For what you described as your use for the bike, I would stick with the stp with 26" wheels. I love 24s on trails and the bmx track but to actually pedal around xc or fr they will be a big compromise. When I had a do all bike set up with gears I rode 26s, but now that I have a dedicated track and trail its 24s. Believe me, I have many xc miles on 24s too, I even did some laps at a 24 hour race on 24's just for laughs, but they truly suck in rock gardens unless you use the 24x3 arrow dh tires, they have tons of air volume and eat up rocks but are also crazy heavy. When I used them on a hardtail it weighed 38 pounds:eek:
that's why the Dobermann is a better choice you can run 24s or 26s. SS or geared
even the alum Identiti Dr. Jekyll is better again you can run 24s or 26s ss or geared and the frame weighs 5.5lbs but is very burly

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
"The Dobermann Pinscher is 24" compatible"...

Isn't the Giant STP 24 "compatible"... And aren't all 26 frames?

Why would he consider buying another frame designed for 26s to slap 24s on when he currently owns one?

Isn't the point that the chainstays of a 24 specific are shorter geometry slightly different?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
"The Dobermann Pinscher is 24" compatible"...

Isn't the Giant STP 24 "compatible"... And aren't all 26 frames?

Why would he consider buying another frame designed for 26s to slap 24s on when he currently owns one?

Isn't the point that the chainstays of a 24 specific are shorter geometry slightly different?

Not all 26s are 24" compatible. The stp, p-bikes and BlkMkrt frames plus others have too low of a bottom bracket to run 24s. Bikes that are 24/26 compatible have higher bottom bracket like th Identiti Dr Jekyll and the Dobermann pin

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
yeah i see what you guys are saying. well the concensus right now is that i'm throwing a 11-28 8-speed cassette, but i might make it like 7-speed with a "freecoaster gear" so riding the park and such. right now i;m going to be running an x.7 medium cage, but once i save enough cash, i'll prolly buy an x.9 or saint derailleur, and just pair it up with one of the shifters i have lying around. but i'm still considering buying a frame with some better geo. shorter stays, preferably a steeper head angle.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
yeah i see what you guys are saying. well the concensus right now is that i'm throwing a 11-28 8-speed cassette, but i might make it like 7-speed with a "freecoaster gear" so riding the park and such. right now i;m going to be running an x.7 medium cage, but once i save enough cash, i'll prolly buy an x.9 or saint derailleur, and just pair it up with one of the shifters i have lying around. but i'm still considering buying a frame with some better geo. shorter stays, preferably a steeper head angle.
that's why i said the Dobermann.