Quantcast

24 Hour Quandry

ShastaOU812

Chimp
Jul 3, 2001
Dallas, TX
I have a problem!

I just put a team together for my first ever 24 hour race in Smithville Tx in Nov. Starting to train and motivate teammates to do the same. Looking for lighting system and other gear and clothes needed for such a race. Also recruting a support crew capable of sustained partying and nurturing of grumpy riders.

Well my problem is that my wife just informed me that my race weekend is the same weekend as my mother-in-law's 50th birthday party.:mad:

She gave me one of those I don't care if your here or not speeches but I know I will pay for it if I am not there.

What to do???? :confused:

R

RideMonkey

Dang Dude, that onez EAZY.

You race! Where would you rather be, at your mother-in-laws or kickin it for 24 hours of sleep deprivation and pain?

The REAL question is: Is this gonna get you busted by the wife?

ShastaOU812

Chimp
Jul 3, 2001
Dallas, TX
Originally posted by ridemonkey
Dang Dude, that onez EAZY.

You race! Where would you rather be, at your mother-in-laws or kickin it for 24 hours of sleep deprivation and pain?

The REAL question is: Is this gonna get you busted by the wife?
There is no doubt where I would rather be! The answer to the REAL question is YES! The next question is, Is it worth it?

I will weigh that question heavily. and try and get the party moved to the weekend before!

gecko

I'm Batman
Jun 28, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Fake illness/injury. Since you're bed-ridden they can't expect you to go to the part and would never suspect that you'd go out biking. Works every time ;)

Disclaimer: I've never known it to work and you'll probably get nailed. :D

R

RideMonkey

Official ridemonkey.com reccomendation: Do not follow any advice from Gecko, it will only get you in trouble.

R

RideMonkey

yeah I have to agree. This is clearly grounds for divorce. You should come out of this looking pretty good. Any judge will award you EVERYTHING based on the circumstances.

nazmtnman

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Flagstaff, AZ
There is only one way to handle this. Make sure your wife knows that she is the only one capable and responsible enough to head up your support team. If she wants to leave your team out in the cold with noone to help them win the race, then thats her decision, you won't be mad at her even though you've trained so hard for a race you've looked forward too for so long. You sure will be dissapointed though, having to rely on joe blow to do the important work of hot dog cooker, water bottle filler and beer hander outer. He'll probably mess up the whole race without her there. Of course you'll understand if she'd rather go to some birthday party that will likely be the same as the 20+ other birthdays that she has seen her mother celebrate. And remember, this is your first 24-hour race, your mother in-law has had 49 birthdays, think about it, whose the selfish one in this situation. hehehehe. T.A.

R

RideMonkey

Hehe good one Naz,

Reverse psychology, I love it. Us guys need to stick together. :D

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
Soon your mother-in-law will be dead. Right now is the only time you have to be nice to her. I always tryed to be nice to mine and after she died I realized it was a big wast of time, because they almost allways devide their estates equally. Ride dude!

ShastaOU812

Chimp
Jul 3, 2001
Dallas, TX
My wife was actually going to be on the support crew for the race. I was looking for a way to replace her with my buddy and new Mnt Biking addict on the crew.

I think I may be off the hook anyway. She mentioned something about a festival she would like to go to but it also was on race weekend and she said oh but you will be out of town so I can go with the girls.

So unless "the girls" is a code word for a new boyfriend I think I am going! I will still pay a price but hell I pay the same price everytime i play golf or take an extra long ride.

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
RHR 24 Hour Race or mother-in-law...? Tough choice? Not really. Yes, it's rained there every 24 hour race except two years ago. That shouldn't discourage anyone from racing it. I say RACE! The previous post that mentions something about your wife never understanding is correct; unless she is a cyclist, she will never have a clue. My girlfriend had a hard time understanding my motivation when it came to cycling, but since she bought her own mountain bike and started riding, she almost immediately could relate to me.

One more thing: The cold Shiner Bock beer and the Rocky HIll burger with complimentary jalapeno is not to be missed. Enjoy the race!