Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
/random thoughts

I'd like to do this but I'm thinking it would be an expensive trip??

so you'd fly into tuscon?

what about where to stay out there?

I'd have to buy a bike carrier

this would be such a great break from the NE winter!

Mtbkngrl

Monkey
Aug 21, 2002
Rochester NY
Your biggest expense would be the flight out.....You'll be camping the whole time which costs 5bucks and a couple of cans of food for the food bank......food and beer and that's it.

Put your bike in a bike box with lots of tape and your all set.

By far the best biking event I've ever been to, and it does break up the winter and give you something to look forward to.

I'll be there unless I get the new job. :thumb:

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Its still aways out there. It was my one and maybe only 24 hr race. I set up a couple of days early and was glad I did. The first lesson I learned about five minutes after starting practice-dont run into cactus. I flattened a tire and put several needles pretty deep into my thigh. I think I can still see where they went in.

Next I went out at night and was glad I did. I quickly found my lights were pretty bad. I bought another light, plus a battery plus I rented the Light and Motion light.
I was glad the temps warmed up before the race. The first night I was there it dropped to 28 and the wind was blowing about 30 mph. Tucson was cold as anyplace in the country. I ran a Giant VT- I gave away a bit of time but It was pretty smooth and I felt safe screaming down the "bitches"
Best memory-a woman in red spandex passing me like I was standing stll at 0230 hrs. Also hitting the trail a few hours later and seeing so few people on the trail as the sun was coming up. I figured all the kids were sleeping in.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Yeah I learned alot the last two years about that race (like how frikkin cold it gets in the desert).......we were thinking about doing it with a 4 person team.... but we will have at least one female speed merchant. And my girlfriend has signed on as support crew/bartender.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
I wouldnt call it flat. Its a fast course. I think the elevation gain-loss is about 1100 feet. You start near the top of the course and start going down-gradually. Its pretty wide open in places and speeds are pretty fast. I think the loop was about 17.6 miles. The fastest riders werre able to clock it in about an hour. Average speed around the course was about 14 mph. The climb back up isnt real steep, the only thing steep was maybe coming out of the washes.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
splat said:
Now , How do I convince the Wife I need to go to Tuscon AZ , in Feb ?

O, and Honey , I need to take my Bike with me !

Last year the race fell on Valentines day. I know one guy who wouldnt do it because it was Valentines Day. There were a few wives out there-not a lot though. This tends to be something guys do once a year to get crazy and get away from the wives and kids. The guys I rode with were pretty happy there wives werent there. My wife was there but I made sure she was taken care of-trailer with queen bed, tv, etc.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Mtbkngrl said:
Your biggest expense would be the flight out.....You'll be camping the whole time which costs 5bucks and a couple of cans of food for the food bank......food and beer and that's it.

Put your bike in a bike box with lots of tape and your all set.

By far the best biking event I've ever been to, and it does break up the winter and give you something to look forward to.

I'll be there unless I get the new job. :thumb:
Hmmm....:think: Maybe us chicks could form a team and school the boys :devil:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
In:

Echo
Ghostrider
T-Dog
Douglas
Treesaw
Squirrel
Westy
mcgowanc
chickenhawk
Gee Spot

Most likely in:

Maybe in:

Splat
Heidi
Mtbkngrl

I'll update this as applicable :)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Well, I'm too busy telling my current employer to kiss my ass at the moment, but let me just chime in to say that the West will prevail. Only problem I can foresee is that I've barely touched my bike all summer, and I've put on about 100 pounds. T-Dog is even worse off, now that he's married and all.

Douglas, to get my bike out to Dalton, I used my plastic bike case I bought many years ago, and shipped it using FedEx, for which up until tomorrow, I get a sweet discount...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Put me down for maybe.

And for the smaktalk I hate to admit it but when it comes to a race in February the west coasters have a serious advantage.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
Put me down for maybe.

And for the smaktalk I hate to admit it but when it comes to a race in February the west coasters have a serious advantage.
toninator and westy locked in 24 solo mortal combat? hummm maybe if we can get midget down it can be a 3some :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The Toninator said:
toninator and westy locked in 24 solo mortal combat? hummm maybe if we can get midget down it can be a 3some :)
I really want to go, and if circumstances allow me I will be there. But damn, running solo that early in the year is gonna hurt big time.

I think I want to qualify again and go to worlds next year, you gonna give it another shot in '05?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Westy said:
I really want to go, and if circumstances allow me I will be there. But damn, running solo that early in the year is gonna hurt big time.

I think I want to qualify again and go to worlds next year, you gonna give it another shot in '05?
i have a scheduling problem for pueblo because that's right at the start of my normal race series but that particular race i'm not going too also if i wana goto the WCS i might not have enough vacation.
I'd like to do it again but it was a pretty exspensive trip. I did vacation in whistler the whole week prior to the race and that might have impacted my race a little but not much. I'd like to do it again but i'm not sure i will.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:

dude, you so can be on my team!!

(and you too Heidi!!!)

ok, so I dont have a team yet but......you gotta start somewhere :p :D :devil:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I'm not sure how much riding I will do in winter, so Old Pueblo might be my first time out on a bike on a trail in 3 months! I think I would do a team, not sure I'd be in ANY kind of solo shape.

Yes sir, Texas the first weekend in March.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
The second place woman running solo at the Pueblo this year came out of New York. She was pretty fast. She must have been running studded tires in New York before she came to Az. Her poor husband/boyfriend was as slow as me. He was the support team. People coming out of the snowy area do have a bit of a disadvantage. I know if people in my town see a bike and a big pile of slush and mud they try to time it so they hit the bike rider good.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm going to demolish you all racing solo. Perhaps SS??? I don't know...I think I'm going to have to blow off Moab, I don't think my manipulation is doing any good in having them let me (a junior) race solo. That and the 300 dollar entrace fee...

:eviltongu

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
TreeSaw said:
So, has anyone brainstormed teams yet? I am officially training! :thumb:
Well, team Numbnuts has (probably) three riders already. Echo holds the honorary fourth rider spot, should he accept, and Mtbkngrl has the honorary hottie spot, should she accept, but I think we all like the idea of East vs. West. Not that it would be much of a contest.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
Well, team Numbnuts has (probably) three riders already. Echo holds the honorary fourth rider spot, should he accept, and Mtbkngrl has the honorary hottie spot, should she accept, but I think we all like the idea of East vs. West. Not that it would be much of a contest.

hmm....seems like somebody is still upset he got smacked by us east coasters at Dalton

:p :D ;) :dancing:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Apparently ghostrider has forgotten that Squirrel lives on the east coast :D

Although we will be at a major disadvantage without Deyv. :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
xbluethunderx said:
So who is gonna go solo? C'mon insane people...come out of your holes. Westy?
I can not commit to anything right now. At this point it is near impossible for me to get out of the house. I am only riding a little over an hour a week and gaining weight fast. Going solo is stupid, going solo when you are fat and out of shape is suicide. If I can get back on the bike soon I will consider it. But I must see if I can fit it in my goals for '05 which is attempting the World Solo Championships. A normal human being can only do a handfull of ultra-endurance events before burning out and I need to keep a few races in reserve in case I have problems qualifying for the WCS. Anyway if I don't go solo I would like to get on a 2 or 4 man team.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
What is the linky to this race?

and who cares what team wins, smack talk needs to be about lap times !!

but if it comes down to West vs East teams, ALL members of the west coast team are REQUIRED to race at Dalton in '05