Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
T-Dog said:
Sound advice. I can only assume that's experience talking......

Yes it is. And a word to the wise Flasks seem to attract attention when going through security. There is nothing wrong with toting booze but things just move quicker when carrying in a plastic container.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
T-Dog said:
Sound advice. I can only assume that's experience talking......

I took the day off, so I had planned to meet Doug, and try to poisen him with cheap booze till the second wave of easties comes in. I don't know about the bar at the airport, but if there's one thing Oxnard has no shortage of, it's watering holes.

excellent!!

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Westy said:
Yes it is. And a word to the wise Flasks seem to attract attention when going through security. There is nothing wrong with toting booze but things just move quicker when carrying in a plastic container.
I can confirm the flask theory...on my last trip thru Seatac, the screeners found my metal hip flask in my satchel; they asked me what it was, then requested that I take a drink to prove it. (nothing like a hit of Maker's Mark at about 7:30am to kickstart your day.)

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Pirates Grub and Grog is 200 yards from the airport. They have excellent beer in large capacity mugs. Then, when Echo and Gee arrive, we can head over to Casa de Ghostrider, which is 100 yards from the airport, and the beer is free.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
I dunno what gear the you easties are planning to bring, but if you could add some sleeping bags to the list, it would probably be a good idea. I can see blankets being is short supply otherwise.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
I dunno what gear the you easties are planning to bring, but if you could add some sleeping bags to the list, it would probably be a good idea. I can see blankets being is short supply otherwise.
Earl & I are each bringing our sleeping bags, a small fleece blanket and a pillow with us.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:

I'm bringing a sleeping bag.......and my plan is to have someone stop at a kmart/walmart type place so I can run in & buy the cheapest pillow they have

oh, and I'm bringing an empty flask (and a 7up bottle full of booze)
douglas=brillant! HAHA!

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
douglas said:
I'm bringing a sleeping bag.......and my plan is to have someone stop at a kmart/walmart type place so I can run in & buy the cheapest pillow they have
Dude, you're such a cool guy, we'll hook you up with a pillow for free. Welcome to the Hotel California.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Ok here's a basic plan:

Monday night: collect riff raff from OXN airport, attend raging party at Ghostrider's house.

Tuesday: Head out for a ride on the los robles trail in the AM, then have some lunch and beers somewhere cool. All except for ghostrider, who has to go to work and then take a final exam (haw haw). Go over plans for road trip, hit bike shops for any last minute items etc. Hang out, watch bike videos, drink beer and margaritas.

Wednesday: Mtb ride on Gridley, to the lookout tower, down pratt and back. (18 miles or so). Then head over to Casa de los Perros for bbq lunch, and mucho cervesas, all except ghostrider who has to go pick up the tent trailers (haw haw). Buy food, spirits and supplies for the trip, pack coolers. Drunkenly load the trucks, RV and trailers in the dark.

Thursday: Get early start by reloading the trucks, RV and trailers, and hit the road for AZ. Douglas, Teri and I will be pushing the RV as fast as it will go to get a good spot for the compound. Once the rest of the crew arrives, spot the trailers, and dispatch a fast truck for Tucson, to pick up Treesaw and Earl. Bribe car rental place to give Westy a sh**ty car and bad directions.

Friday: Pre ride course etc etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here is my plan:

Monday: Go to work, pack.

Tuesday: Go to work, pack.

Wednesday: Go to work, pack.

Thursday: Go to work, Fly to Tucson.

Friday: Meet up with all y'all.

Saturday-Sunday: Team East Coast Monkeys DOMINATES!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
T-Dog said:
Ok here's a basic plan:

Monday night: collect riff raff from OXN airport, attend raging party at Ghostrider's house.

Tuesday: Head out for a ride on the los robles trail in the AM, then have some lunch and beers somewhere cool. All except for ghostrider, who has to go to work and then take a final exam (haw haw). Go over plans for road trip, hit bike shops for any last minute items etc. Hang out, watch bike videos, drink beer and margaritas.

Wednesday: Mtb ride on Gridley, to the lookout tower, down pratt and back. (18 miles or so). Then head over to Casa de los Perros for bbq lunch, and mucho cervesas, all except ghostrider who has to go pick up the tent trailers (haw haw). Buy food, spirits and supplies for the trip, pack coolers. Drunkenly load the trucks, RV and trailers in the dark.

Thursday: Get early start by reloading the trucks, RV and trailers, and hit the road for AZ. Douglas, Teri and I will be pushing the RV as fast as it will go to get a good spot for the compound. Once the rest of the crew arrives, spot the trailers, and dispatch a fast truck for Tucson, to pick up Treesaw and Earl. Bribe car rental place to give Westy a sh**ty car and bad directions.

Friday: Pre ride course etc etc.
:thumb:

sounds awesome!! My pysche level just went up another notch!!

Hey but instead of pushing the RV (they have to be pretty heavy), why dont we just drive it really fast??

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I think I did that Gridley ride last time I was there, except we didn't go all the way to the lookout tower. We ain't got no hills like that round here. This is gonna kick so much ass.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
If we get some snow, at least the ground may be softer for Westy's designated sleeping area.
Sounds good to me. I have no problems sleepin on the ground. last 3 years of vacations consisted of sleeping on the ground.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Westy said:
Sounds good to me. I have no problems sleepin on the ground. last 3 years of vacations consisted of sleeping on the ground.
Oh that's clearly an unfair advantage. I demand that Westy sleep in the warmest trailer with the most comfortable bed and .......hey waiiiit a minnit :think:

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Every bearing individually tested for roundness, polished and greased. Every bolt torqued to .000001 accuracy. Every control adjusted and readjusted to aircraft tolerances. 007 smoke screen, tire shredder, and handlebar shotgun installed and tested. Yes, the Echo Killer is ready to race. Look upon it and weep, East Coast Wankers. I doubt I'll even need to pedal.

Attachments

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Every bearing individually tested for roundness, polished and greased. Every bolt torqued to .000001 accuracy. Every control adjusted and readjusted to aircraft tolerances. 007 smoke screen, tire shredder, and handlebar shotgun installed and tested. Yes, the Echo Killer is ready to race. Look upon it and weep, East Coast Wankers. I doubt I'll even need to pedal.
HA! You're using gears? Wuss!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
intensejunebug said:
most of the course holds up well in the rain, some of the road sections are slicker than snot.
You forget your old password? :D

Us east coasters will like that "slicker than snot" stuff :thumb:

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
j-ventura said:
Sounds like the camping locations are being restricted for this years event. What street/site are we going to try and get? http://www.epicrides.com/images/24hourtown05.jpg
Fear not jventura, that's basically the same as every year. It's a free for all once you get there.

The cool news is the WiFi that they are going to set up for race timing. I'll be bringing a laptop.