Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo '05 - Plans and Smacktalk

chicken hawk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
West Coast Ringer X, last know location was at the fountain in downtown Ventura with two flat tires on his Huffy Pro Racer begging for a smoke. I don't think we should count on him. What we can do is saw through the East's Ringer's spokes just enough that they give way when he/she is farthest from camp and out of radio range. I've also been experimenting with exploding seat posts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't even know if Bob the ringer is coming, but if we are elevating this to thunderdome levels I'll make sure to bring my armor and full face. And the chain in my jersey pocket won't be there as a spare part.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
ghostrider said:
You should remove the shotgun from your rear window before the trip so it doesn't blow somebody's brains out in the event of an accident.

mcgowanc, are you in? T-Dog is team captain, not that anybody has any respect for him. He's just the one dumb enough to take on the extra work for no benefit, other than the honorary first lap. PM him your info if you are serious, and we'll fax over our official training regimen.

chicken hawk, if Westy keeps talking his smack, we'll need to pull in the mysterious West Coast Ringer X.
I am in.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
So, how are the teams shaping up? Earl & I would love to be on a 5 person co-ed team, but we're in it more for fun than some (because I have an inability to ride fast as of yet ;) and don't want to ruin anyone's finish)

At any rate, he tossed out the idea of us doing it 2-person :eek: He'll be fine, I think I might die! Does anyone know the rules for doing a 2-person team?

chicken hawk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
Echo said:
Planning sabotage almost 4 months before the race... sounds like you have already admitted defeat :devil:

Well, from what ghostrider tells me, with Echo on Team East, Team West really dosen't have anything to worry about....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
TreeSaw said:
So, how are the teams shaping up? Earl & I would love to be on a 5 person co-ed team, but we're in it more for fun than some (because I have an inability to ride fast as of yet ;) and don't want to ruin anyone's finish)

At any rate, he tossed out the idea of us doing it 2-person :eek: He'll be fine, I think I might die! Does anyone know the rules for doing a 2-person team?
A two person 24 hour race in February will go something like this. Ride, sweat, stop, freeze, repeat 12 times.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Rules? You each have to ride at least one lap. That's it. So, by 2pm you can both be kicking back drinking!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:

Last I heard it was Echo, Westy, me & GeeSpot and ?

We would need one more rider to enter 5 person coed (there's no 4 person coed)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
chicken hawk said:
Well, from what ghostrider tells me, with Echo on Team East, Team West really dosen't have anything to worry about....
No doubt about that! You should probably plan on at least 4 hours per lap for me, if I even manage to show up at the transistion tent.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
TreeSaw, I think it would be beyond cool if you and Squirrel could make it out. I'm proposing we throw our efforts into forming a third team, whose stated mission is to pound out more beers than laps. I'm sure I could get some interest out here to get another team going.

T-Dog, I'm thinking of Korona Kalvin, James, and one of the original Numbnuts, Peter, would be interested in a team like that.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
ghostrider said:
TreeSaw, I think it would be beyond cool if you and Squirrel could make it out. I'm proposing we throw our efforts into forming a third team, whose stated mission is to pound out more beers than laps. I'm sure I could get some interest out here to get another team going.

T-Dog, I'm thinking of Korona Kalvin, James, and one of the original Numbnuts, Peter, would be interested in a team like that.
I was thinking of just drinking only beer the entire race....but then I might really die so for every 70 oz of water I consume, I vow to drink a pint o' beer :thumb:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
I was thinking of just drinking only beer the entire race....but then I might really die so for every 70 oz of water I consume, I vow to drink a pint o' beer :thumb:

what is blue, smells, and is a favorie place for Treesaw at 24 hour races?? :devil:

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
So, what's the deal here folks? What's name of the east coast team so we can have something to smack down?

TreeSaw, Team Three is a go, I nominate you as the captain. We have three "riders" out here ready to sign up and start pounding beers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Kick ass. We are buying our tickets today. Doug and Westy are welcome to be honorary Jackalope/Trailblazers riders, but if you guys have another team name selection let's hear it!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well it looks like my training plans are a bit up in the air. I have been given an assignment which will have me managing a project out in Chatsworth California. I'll either be too busy working and getting fat off of my expense account to ride :mumble: or I'll be enjoying the warm southern California winter riding my ass off and spying on the west coast team :thumb: :monkey:
:dancing:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Dude, you're gonna be like 15 miles from the ghostrider residence. If they give you a vehicle out there, make sure that it's a full size pickup with a crew cab and a towing package. We'll need you to take a popup camper and some bodies to Tucson :thumb: :D

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
Well it looks like my training plans are a bit up in the air. I have been given an assignment which will have me managing a project out in Chatsworth California. I'll either be too busy working and getting fat off of my expense account to ride :mumble: or I'll be enjoying the warm southern California winter riding my ass off and spying on the west coast team :thumb: :monkey:
Just buy us some beers. That will fatten us up and keep us off our bikes. We never say no to beers.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Did you buy your tickets yet?
We've had a slight distraction out here for a couple days. I'll call ya later and explain - don't worry, it doesn't affect our plans for the race, just affects our priorities here in the short term.

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
different shack, same shotgun
Westy said:
Sweeeet! Looks like we just found the 5th member of our team! For it clearly states in section 3, paragraph 6 subpart 2 of the rules (which I just made up) that:

"Whichever coast that the subject resides or works closest to in the month of the event shall determine which team he or she shall represent, with as much asskickery as possible."

Sorry Echo.....but his name is Westy, not Easty. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
T-Dog said:
Sweeeet! Looks like we just found the 5th member of our team! For it clearly states in section 3, paragraph 6 subpart 2 of the rules (which I just made up) that:

"Whichever coast that the subject resides or works closest to in the month of the event shall determine which team he or she shall represent, with as much kickassery as possible."

I have pale skin, no fancy facial hair, direct sunlight hurts, I don't say "right on" and I don't like to see my air. I'm East Coast all the way baby!!! :thumb: ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
T-Dog said:

"Whichever coast that the subject resides or works closest to in the month of the event shall determine which team he or she shall represent, with as much asskickery as possible."

sorry, look at section 3, paragraph 6 subpart 2 exception A, which states "Unless said person raced a 24 hour race solo, and required the help, assistance or motivational screams from a particular coast's team members, therefore in accordance with bro laws said individual must be a member of that paticular aforementioned coast's team"

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
douglas said:
sorry, look at section 3, paragraph 6 subpart 2 exception A, which states "Unless said person raced a 24 hour race solo, and required the help, assistance or motivational screams from a particular coast's team members, therefore in accordance with bro laws said individual must be a member of that paticular aforementioned coast's team"
Ah, invoking bro laws....well,I guess we'll have to go with trying to recruit our second choice, Tinker Juarez.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I have pale skin, no fancy facial hair, direct sunlight hurts, I don't say "right on" and I don't like to see my air. I'm East Coast all the way baby!!! :thumb: ;)
Right on, dude, that's like totally cool with us. We wouldn't want you to like totally try to bogart all the laps or something unkiller like that.

You better look me up when you hit Chatsworth though, or you are even more of a dolt than Echo and Douglas said you are. We can hit some like totally sweet singletrack, dude. Totally.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
ghostrider said:
Right on, dude, that's like totally cool with us. We wouldn't want you to like totally try to bogart all the laps or something unkiller like that.

You better look me up when you hit Chatsworth though, or you are even more of a dolt than Echo and Douglas said you are. We can hit some like totally sweet singletrack, dude. Totally.
My first trip out there will be like mid December. I need to figure out how to get a bike out there. Would a hardtail, 4" or 6" bike be best?

T-Dog

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Westy said:
My first trip out there will be like mid December. I need to figure out how to get a bike out there. Would a hardtail, 4" or 6" bike be best?
I suggest full suspension....the winter rains expose more rocks and rut the trails. There's usually a good amount of climbing involved on any of the trails we usually ride....

chicken hawk

Chimp
Sep 30, 2004
Westy said:
UPS it to ghostrider's pad, well mabe not, it might end up on Ebay.

j-ventura

Chimp
Oct 6, 2004
Ventura, CA
Hi, I'm interested in possibly participating with the third team. I am near Ghostrider at sea level and have a couple of bikes but I am not sure which would work best.

I have a couple of questions however. What kind of beer is available during the laps at the rest stops? I can't drink beer from can's, kegs are best but bottles will do in a pinch. Which of these bikes would be best or perhaps I'll alternate with each lap? What's the deal with the cactus do you get lots of flats and how far away is first-aid to pull the stickers from my ass?

Thanks.

Attachments

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
j-ventura said:
Hi, I'm interested in possibly participating with the third team. I am near Ghostrider at sea level and have a couple of bikes but I am not sure which would work best.

I have a couple of questions however. What kind of beer is available during the laps at the rest stops? I can't drink beer from can's, kegs are best but bottles will do in a pinch. Which of these bikes would be best or perhaps I'll alternate with each lap? What's the deal with the cactus do you get lots of flats and how far away is first-aid to pull the stickers from my ass?

Thanks.
j-ventura, I think either bike would work fine for the trails out there, but I don't think they will work around the camp. It will be too hard to see small children (and chicken hawk). Good news is I hear you can score a decent mountain bike at Wal Mart for around $150.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Westy said:
I'd say hardtail. A lot of guys I hear plan on running SS rigid 29ers because of the flat speediness of the course.