Quantcast

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo 2006

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
While sitting here I want to be a lap whore and volunteer to take over anyone elses lap. Now if you tried to get me out of bed at 3:30 AM to do your lap your likely to get a wet dirty chamois slapped upside your head.

Now if my last lap finishes at 11:58 AM I might just hog the batton and go 'round again.

not if I go after you!! :mumble: and ECHO's right, I'd wrestle ya for it in the tent :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
not if I go after you!! :mumble: and ECHO's right, I'd wrestle ya for it in the tent :D
I'd just give it to you. Then follow you back out on the course. If I could hang I'd just yell and scream insults until you dropped me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
now that sounds like a good time
What is your background? Italian, German, French etc. I'd like to know now so I can compile a list of really hateful slanderous jabs.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Oh, Douglas!!!! I'm worried about your 1111111111111111111 comment. If I was to do that many, I'd be over my intended goal. Um, would that be a good thing? By the way, is a Bic lighter a good enough back-up light source??? I'm counting the grams I'll be carrying and don't want to over-do it (haha, like my gut isn't the cause of my slowness).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
What is your background? Italian, German, French etc. I'd like to know now so I can compile a list of really hateful slanderous jabs.
DIE!

(Dutch, Irish, English)

mantispf2000 said:
Oh, Douglas!!!! I'm worried about your 1111111111111111111 comment. If I was to do that many, I'd be over my intended goal. Um, would that be a good thing? By the way, is a Bic lighter a good enough back-up light source??? I'm counting the grams I'll be carrying and don't want to over-do it (haha, like my gut isn't the cause of my slowness).
you'll be so tired I'm thinking a bic may be too dangerous to handle, so go with this instead!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Doing a solo attempt at Dalton 2 years ago at about 4:00 AM I spent 5 minutes searching for a flashlite under my car by the light of the flashlight I was looking for.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Doing a solo attempt at Dalton 2 years ago at about 4:00 AM I spent 5 minutes searching for a flashlite under my car by the light of the flashlight I was looking for.
I can't wait to try a 24 solo! :dead:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
ghostrider said:
Let's all go for solo next year!!! Wooo hooo!!!!
I need to be able to do loooooooooooooong road rides for a couple months beforehand. So unless I win the lotto and move somewhere with nice weather, I'll probably always have to do Old Pueblo on a team.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
mantispf2000 said:
In case I'm not too late with the laps discussion, I read in a magazine that a decent way is to do-- 1212 3434 1212 3434. Worth a try? Oh, wait, I'm solo, so I don't get much of a say...................
That might be the best idea for running laps, especially if your goal is to get in 13 or so. You get your two fast riders out and they get in four each while your two slow riders only get in two or three each. Anyone done it?

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Echo said:
I need to be able to do loooooooooooooong road rides for a couple months beforehand. So unless I win the lotto and move somewhere with nice weather, I'll probably always have to do Old Pueblo on a team.
The weather has been terrible down here in the desert. It started out on Sunday with 84 degrees, then it was 74, then 82, 80, and i think 78 today. Its terrible, plus there is no wind. Guess what? the hardware store doesnt even sell snow shovels, what kind of place is this?:)

Anyone predicting weather for the race?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Borregokid said:
That might be the best idea for running laps, especially if your goal is to get in 13 or so. You get your two fast riders out and they get in four each while your two slow riders only get in two or three each. Anyone done it?

the 4 I have done we pretty much stayed w/123412341234

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
the 4 I have done we pretty much stayed w/123412341234
Cue Miami Sound Machine

1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me
5-6-7 times
8-9-10-11 I'm just gonna keep on counting
Until you are mine

1-2-3-4 come on baby say you love me
5-6-7 times
You got to give me your love
8-9-10-11 I'm just gonna keep on counting baby
Until you are mine

1-2-3-4
5-6-7 times
8-9-10-11

1-2-3-4
5-6-7 times
8-9-10-11

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Did my last workout before the race today. Fly out to Ca in the morning. This race couldn't come at a better time. One more pedal stroke on a bike that goes nowhere and my brain will run screaming from my skull.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'm about 90% done putting gears on my bike for the race. What a pain in the ass. I should have just ridden it singlespeed :mumble:

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Hey All--

Well, I received a rather downer phone call last night. My step-dad calls about 11:30 p.m./pct, and informs me that my uncle (mom's brother) had died. I won't bore you with details-- he had a bad heart, so it was either that, or suicide (an empty prescription bottle and un-readable note was found). Now my mind is trying to decide if I should wait for their call (they didn't want me driving out right away), or damn the torpedoes, call work, get packed, and leave now.

Ghostrider, I remember an earlier post where you offered some space with "the gang". Since I don't know now if my brother is going to still help me, is your offer still good? I don't want to be a burden, yet if he doesn't come, it sure would be appreciated. Maybe give me a call (cell- 775-450-7811). Thanks heaps!!

Man, you all know why I'm riding 24IOP. I just didn't think my grandma would be a "member".

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
Westy said:

hhaha that is great . mainly cause i do stuff like that ALLLL the time -- even when i am not sleep deprived and exhausted!!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Bike's sitting here in my office waiting to get packed up at lunch. I'm just not looking forward to getting up at 3am tomorrow morning to get to the airport in time. Why did I decide to fly out so early?

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
12 hours of driving later (dang semi's), I'm here in Scottsdale with the family. Tomorrow, it's off to Tucson, pick up the packet, and get ready. Oh, I did forget my tweezers-- will pliers work at removing cactus needles as well????

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Just spoke with ABE (packet pick-up location), and I'll be there tomorrow plugging TCF/pre-school donations (shameless plug on my part). I'll either be wearing my green or red jersey (you'll know when you see it). Getting completely stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
What time are you all arriving? Will there be stuff going on for tomorrow evening? Will I find a good camping spot tomorrow if I get there around 4pm? I just don't know what to expect...

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
So how'd it go for everyone? I had a blast as a total 24OP newbie. We ended up getting 28th place out of ?? total 5-person coed teams. We really weren't trying that hard to place anyway... just went for the fun of it. I managed to get three laps in: 1:15, 1:30 (night), and 1:21. No flats, no mechanicals.

Got to 'ride' with Tinker for about 5 minutes on that back stretch of dirt road and down into the Junbug singletrack. He passed me lazily and I hung on his back tire for a while. He was probably at about 15% effort and I was at 75% LOL

We were camped up toward the top of Epic Rides Blvd so we had a great view of the valley and all the ruckus below. I can't believe how many RVs there were!

So.... how'd you all do?