Quantcast

24 hours in the Old Pueblo.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A whole bunch of us Monkeys did it this year. There are a couple threads on it. Just search on Old Pueblo.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Yes! A bunch of us did it last year and despite the torrential rainfall, it was an AWESOME event and I would encourage you to give it a try. Also, don't forget to bring a leatherman or some other multi-tool with pliers...there really are a lot of cacti! :D

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Its a very fast course and this year even with all the rain I heard some bikers complaining that you didnt need any mountain biking skills. Running into the cactus can hurt pretty good plus leave you with a flat.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Borregokid said:
Its a very fast course and this year even with all the rain I heard some bikers complaining that you didnt need any mountain biking skills. Running into the cactus can hurt pretty good plus leave you with a flat.

Well, it ISN'T a super technical course, but then, not a lot of 24 hour courses are. They are designed for the lowest common denominator. :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Borregokid said:
Well, I wouldn't say you don't need any mtb skills, but it really isn't a technical course. It is a fast flowing course with some awesome tight single track and a lot of prickly cacti! :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Borregokid said:
Its a very fast course and this year even with all the rain I heard some bikers complaining that you didnt need any mountain biking skills.
Funny how every year we hear people whine about how the course isn't tech enough, but every year it's the only 24 hour event that sells out the race field a month before the race.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Funny how every year we hear people whine about how the course isn't tech enough, but every year it's the only 24 hour event that sells out the race field a month before the race.

I think there are two types of techy trails. Technical as in just tough to ride without crashing or putting your foot down and technical as in anyone can ride the trail but it takes skill to ride it fast. I'd say Pueblo was the latter. Hauling ass on the single track without eating cacti or having to use lots of brake and power takes da skillz.