Quantcast

24 Hours of Adrenaline @ Dalton 2005- Plans and Smacktalk

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I'm going to deviate from the usual smack talk a bit and ask a real question. This will be my first 24 hour race, so I'm not really clear on some of the logistics. Does anyone have any equipment lists that they use to make sure they have what they need? What equipment/resources typically get shared between the team? Is it better to show up friday night as opposed to saturday AM? Water bottles or camelbak? I'm sure theres more that I can't think of right now...

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Goddy43 said:
I'm going to deviate from the usual smack talk a bit and ask a real question. This will be my first 24 hour race, so I'm not really clear on some of the logistics. Does anyone have any equipment lists that they use to make sure they have what they need? What equipment/resources typically get shared between the team? Is it better to show up friday night as opposed to saturday AM? Water bottles or camelbak? I'm sure theres more that I can't think of right now...
Well.... I'm bringing beer. Oh yeah, my bike as well. :evil: (sorry...couldn't resist ;) )

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Goddy43 said:
Are you solo or on a team? That makes a big difference in what you need to bring.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I think getting there Friday is a good idea, more to time to set up camp, go for a pre ride, & hang out. plus you wont be rushed Saturday morning.

Water bottle vs camel back> I prefer water bottle but I use a camel back at night to have a place to put batteies for my lights. When out on the course, my team all brought a tube, pump ,multi tool, etc in case we had a flat or mechanical during the race. I think splat had enough parts in his camel back to build another bike (sans the frame.)

as far as sharing/what to bring, are you talking bike stuff or camping stuff or both?

I pretty much bring everything I have, it really sucks to break something and the spare part is a long drive away just sitting at home.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Steve, I'm going down Friday evening. I'm supposed to be working until 6pm that day, but I hope to bug out prior to that. Even if I'm stuck in Saratoga until 6pm, I could still get there by 8pm ish. I think everyone else (Rob, Jim and Richie) are coming down Sat. morning.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
douglas said:
as far as sharing/what to bring, are you talking bike stuff or camping stuff or both?

I pretty much bring everything I have, it really sucks to break something and the spare part is a long drive away just sitting at home.
I would have to say both.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Adrenalin website a pretty handy "What to bring" link. I used it last year. There are some things you'll want to bring yourself that are not on the list. Whatever you forget, chances are a fellow monkey will take care of you. :)

http://www.twenty4sports.com/twenty4/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_bringExpect&eventContentID=43e2e22a-7e90-e2a3-b7c4-aac67bcfc481#whatBring

Hope that link works.

Most of us showed up Friday last year. I have not decided what I am doing this year. I really want to get a good night's sleep Friday night (I slept three hours last year). I may drive up Friday to pre-ride and hang a bit, then drive home to sleep, then come back Saturday morning. We'll see. It's two hours each way for me, but will be worth the drive if I can sleep 8-10 hours Friday night.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I Are Baboon said:
The Adrenalin website a pretty handy "What to bring" link. I used it last year. There are some things you'll want to bring yourself that are not on the list. Whatever you forget, chances are a fellow monkey will take care of you. :)

http://www.twenty4sports.com/twenty4/index.cfm?fuseaction=dsp_bringExpect&eventContentID=43e2e22a-7e90-e2a3-b7c4-aac67bcfc481#whatBring

Hope that link works.
Thanks, I had seen that link before and my trusty captain Tigg had sent the list around a few weeks ago. Is all that stuff for each person to bring Or do teams typically share camp gear (i.e tent, stove, cooler, etc)? what about a generator?

splat

Nam I am
douglas said:
I think splat had enough parts in his camel back to build another bike (sans the frame.)
Hey I took the Habachi out didn't I !

Seriously though My Camel back will be much lighter on the night lap this year , since I don't have to carry the 4 pounbs of battery ( Plus a extra 2 Pound cell) this Year, Gone HID

Goddy43 said:
And what about a spare bike? is it worth it or a hassle?
I found it worth it I changed out bikes after the first lap , and I plan on brining 2 bikes again this year.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
plan for the worst, hope for the best

At the old Pueblo 24 there were a lot of people/teams leaving while the race was still on -they couldn't, or didnt want to, or just were not prepared to handle the crappy conditions

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Goddy43 said:
Thanks, I had seen that link before and my trusty captain Tigg had sent the list around a few weeks ago. Is all that stuff for each person to bring Or do teams typically share camp gear (i.e tent, stove, cooler, etc)? what about a generator?
We did not have a generator. Teammates share some stuff, but for the most part, bring all your own crap. If you are going to share, talk amongst your teammates and work all that out prior to race weekend. Our team had lengthy e-mail discussions leading up to the race....that includes tent arrangements, stoves, chairs, tables, coolers, food, etc.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
I Are Baboon said:
We did not have a generator. Teammates share some stuff, but for the most part, bring all your own crap. If you are going to share, talk amongst your teammates and work all that out prior to race weekend. Our team had lengthy e-mail discussions leading up to the race....that includes tent arrangements, stoves, chairs, tables, coolers, food, etc.
Thanks, thats more or less what I was looking for, that if resources are to be shared, coordination is necessary. I will plan on having all my own stuff, but wanted to avoid everyone of us bringing the same thing if it was possible to share. ie. chairs, tarps,

What about food? Does everyone fend for themselves or does everyone pitch into a general food bank and share meals? Is one way better than others?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Goddy43 said:
Thanks, thats more or less what I was looking for, that if resources are to be shared, coordination is necessary. I will plan on having all my own stuff, but wanted to avoid everyone of us bringing the same thing if it was possible to share. ie. chairs, tarps,

What about food? Does everyone fend for themselves or does everyone pitch into a general food bank and share meals? Is one way better than others?
Definitely talk to each other so you don't double up on bulky stuff like tables and tents if they are not necessary. We discussed who exactly was bringing what and it worked out very well.

As far as food goes, justbill is our team cook and he handles ALL the food for us. We tell him a few things we might want, give him money, and he does all the shopping and cooking. I literally brought NOTHING for food with me except a six pack and some Gu. I think you'll want to share meals though.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
McGRP01 said:
Steve, maybe your girlfriend could come and cook? :blah:

She will not be in attendance or else she would, her little brother is graduating from high school that weekend in Massena. She has offered to make some pasta salad though.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
Goddy43 said:
Is one way better than others?
yes, hot dogs on sticks are best.

And bring a pillow, that is one thing i remember people complaining they forgot.
Toiletpaper, bring your own to the portapotti and bring it back with you.(the tp)

NO GENERATORS please

No "open" fires are allowed. But if you have provision for a closed in fire or some kind of fuel fired heater, many were appreicative of that amenity.

and paprika, must remember the paprika.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
somehow ill be there. right now im not sure what my team is right now, but if all goes well itll be 3 out of shape freeriders on xc bikes and 2 in shape xc riders. if that team falls through anyone have space for another rider on their team? it looks like i will be stopping by the 4maab campsite to sample some of bills cooking. ooh, the course is 8 miles. i think i should look into this thing called "training.

splat

Nam I am
gnurider1080 said:
somehow ill be there. right now im not sure what my team is right now, but if all goes well itll be 3 out of shape freeriders on xc bikes and 2 in shape xc riders. if that team falls through anyone have space for another rider on their team? it looks like i will be stopping by the 4maab campsite to sample some of bills cooking. ooh, the course is 8 miles. i think i should look into this thing called "training.
You Hopping in Gnu ? Sweet! who else from 12 Cents have you convinced that this will be fun ?

anmd Treesaw how many teams are you riding for this year ?

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
the day that i convince any 12 cent riders to do a xc race is the day justbills cooking starts to suck. plus i was talking it over with some kids from our team that we formed on bustedspoke. its not looking to good for the rest of my teammates though, some have finals around then and the entrance fees arent cheap. i will do this race somehow and if it comes down to it i may try to do the race solo. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
TreeSaw said:
:think: Aparantely a lot, but I can seem to decide :devil:

Sign a contract with the highest bidder. I'd demand a personal chef, masseuse(SP?), domestiques to carry your tools and water, and a fully sponsored bike and race kit.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Westy said:
Sign a contract with the highest bidder. I'd demand a personal chef, masseuse(SP?), domestiques to carry your tools and water, and a fully sponsored bike and race kit.
Now you're thinking!

So, what's the current offer Echo, Instigator, any other takers :devil:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
I like you training technique, I hope you dont mind if I try to copy it
I would expect no less from you my friend! :thumb:

In fact, I encourage all other teams to drink as much as possible between now and June 25th. :sneaky:

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Does anyone have a website for last years results of Dalton? We have a team and are trying to decide if we should register in the 5 person coed or 5 person open (200+) we have some old guys. Not that we are going win anything, but it could improve our odds.