Quantcast

24 Hours of Adrenaline @ Dalton 2005- Plans and Smacktalk

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
I just read this [about Dalton] on mtbr. Is this for real? :dead:

"There is a lung-seering 4-mile climb with the first 1/2 mile of it being some mild technical singletrack and the remaining on an open gravel/fireroad. It could take folks about 15-20 mins. to finish that climb! After that, it's all down hill from there!"

I'm in trouble....

more like 3 miles, and if you did that in 15-20 you are damn fast....but don't forget what goes up, must come down

oh wait, I mean theres no climbs, no technical sections, its basically 9 miles of downhill

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
more like 3 miles, and if you did that in 15-20 you are damn fast....but don't forget what goes up, must come down

oh wait, I mean theres no climbs, no technical sections, its basically 9 miles of downhill
Thanks Doug, can always count on you for a straight answer. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I liked that climb. Could settle down and just pedal. Didn't have to think about picking a line, could let the bike wander and had time to eat and drink. Was a nice mental break. You could let your legs rest on the downhill.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Westy said:
I liked that climb. Could settle down and just pedal. Didn't have to think about picking a line, could let the bike wander and had time to eat and drink. Was a nice mental break. You could let your legs rest on the downhill.
Westy, is it right off the start?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
McGRP01 said:
I just read this [about Dalton] on mtbr. Is this for real? :dead:

"There is a lung-seering 4-mile climb with the first 1/2 mile of it being some mild technical singletrack and the remaining on an open gravel/fireroad. It could take folks about 15-20 mins. to finish that climb! After that, it's all down hill from there!"

I'm in trouble....
You'll be fine. I thought the first 1/2 mile was the hard part, because it's twisty, rocky, and rooty. Once you pop out of the woods and onto the fireroad, it's wide and straight. Granted, for those of us with weak climbing legs, that climb seemed to go on for-friggin-ever. Westy is right though, and you can just settle into a groove and get a comfortable stroke going.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Westy said:
No, I would say the end of the climb is the half way point. The start had some fast flowy stuff and some techy rooty singletrack.
I Are Baboon said:
You'll be fine. I thought the first 1/2 mile was the hard part, because it's twisty, rocky, and rooty. Once you pop out of the woods and onto the fireroad, it's wide and straight. Granted, for those of us with weak climbing legs, that climb seemed to go on for-friggin-ever. Westy is right though, and you can just settle into a groove and get a comfortable stroke going.

Nice....that's what I like to hear! :devil: Thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The rooty areas really took a toll on some people. A photographer could have made a lot of "owned" pictures in that section.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I Are Baboon said:
:think: I really loved the section from the start/finish line to the over-under. :thumb: Fast, flowy and fun!!!

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw said:
:think: I really loved the section from the start/finish line to the over-under. :thumb: Fast, flowy and fun!!!
I meant the first 1/2 mile of the climb. The first 1/2 mile of the course was really fun. :)

The rocky, rooty section was where I slipped out of my pedal and slammed my knee on my stem. :dead:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
No, I would say the end of the climb is the half way point. The start had some fast flowy stuff and some techy rooty singletrack.

plus a great place to pass, and chat with people

repost:

mileage is aproximates

1/4 mile dirt road (flat)
1/3 mile single track (slightly rolling)
thru the "under"
1/2 mile dirt road/field slight climb
1 mile single track (lots of roots & you start to climb at the end)
2.5 miles of the never ending fire road climb (750 ft elevation gain)
aid/pit stop#1
small decline, then a tough steep rocky single-track climb (demotivator)
1/2 mile of relatively flat rocky single-track
2.5 miles fast downhill single-track
1/8 mile single-track climb (pipeline)
aid/pit stop#2
short dirt road section
1/2 mile single-track - mostly downhill
the "over"
done!

about 9 miles total

Edit: last year it rained (the night before and morning of) so many sections were like riding thru "peanut butter", some sections of roots became super tough (one section was so tore up they closed that part of trail after the 24) but almost everything did dry up Sunday morning with the exception of a couple sections of the long DH that just kept getting muddier & muddier.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It would be fine by me if they rerouted the mudholes at the end of the downhills. The trail basically ran through a streambed. Riding through hub deep mud is not my idea of a good time.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
I meant the first 1/2 mile of the climb. The first 1/2 mile of the course was really fun. :)

The rocky, rooty section was where I slipped out of my pedal and slammed my knee on my stem. :dead:
Oh yes, now I remember. I had just gotten owned by a root when Sq-Earl came by and smacked my arse ;)

I definately wouldn't mind a re-route past the hub deep mud either. :thumb:

Doug - are they not redesigning the course? :confused:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Echo said:
I thought they were going to have a totally new course this year?
they were suppose to..........but they have had problems getting people to help w/trail maint. so I am guessing they will just stick with last years - I should be able to find out on the 25th.

re:mud bog

They did a reroute around the mud bog section last year, but due to the rain the mud bog section expanded so you ended up having to ride thru it anyway

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
douglas said:
they were suppose to..........but they have had problems getting people to help w/trail maint. so I am guessing they will just stick with last years - I should be able to find out on the 25th.

re:mud bog

They did a reroute around the mud bog section last year, but due to the rain the mud bog section expanded so you ended up having to ride thru it anyway
When will they be racing on the 24 course? I would like to come to some of these races...maybe we can carpool or something?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
TreeSaw said:
When will they be racing on the 24 course? I would like to come to some of these races...maybe we can carpool or something?
Yep! Myself and the rest of my team want to race* the course as well.

*by race I mean ride at a comfortable pace and examine the course so as to be able to exploit 4M&AB/Ass Balancer/Jackalope weaknesses. :sneaky: (and don't give me that rubbish about not having any... :rolleyes: :p )

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I picked up the Fastest Lap Trophy from the West Coast monkeys last weekend. Who will be taking it home this round??
Can we get a pool going? One where some non-racing monkeys can participate. Maybe some horse-betting with odds?

splat

Nam I am
Westy said:
The rooty areas really took a toll on some people. A photographer could have made a lot of "owned" pictures in that section.

yeah on the first lap it dumped me there ! that was why my next laps I was wearing armour ! plus I hopped off the bike and just ran through that section.

I did have at least on crash on each lap .

and as far as climbs go , lets not forget the pipeline climb , or the de-moralizer

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
yeah on the first lap it dumped me there ! that was why my next laps I was wearing armour ! plus I hopped off the bike and just ran through that section.

I did have at least on crash on each lap .

and as far as climbs go , lets not forget the pipeline climb , or the de-moralizer

I went down once on the roots. Of course this was after breaking my hand so to protect it I landed on my face, then proceded to roll down the side of a hill.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Westy said:
I went down once on the roots. Of course this was after breaking my hand so to protect it I landed on my face, then proceded to roll down the side of a hill.

ouch

out of my five laps I cleaned the root section ZERO times

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Yep! Myself and the rest of my team want to race* the course as well.

*by race I mean ride at a comfortable pace and examine the course so as to be able to exploit 4M&AB/Ass Balancer/Jackalope weaknesses. :sneaky: (and don't give me that rubbish about not having any... :rolleyes: :p )
What are these weaknesses you speak of...I have yet to find any :devil:

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
TreeSaw said:
What are these weaknesses you speak of...I have yet to find any :devil:
How about, the willingness to sabotage other teams?
First I get kicked several times at the SMBA meeting last week, then you are stalling on the checklist. I bet you'll wait until a few days prior. I'll have to warn Tigg to watch his back at trail maintenance, you might "slip" with a saw.

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
douglas said:
ouch out of my five laps I cleaned the root section ZERO times
Long Hill Climbs, impossible root sections, boy does this sound like a super time.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Goddy43 said:
First I get kicked several times at the SMBA meeting last week, then you are stalling on the checklist. I bet you'll wait until a few days prior. I'll have to warn Tigg to watch his back at trail maintenance, you might "slip" with a saw.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Goddy43 said:
LOL! :devil: I didn't kick you that hard. Check your PMs.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
ghostrider said:
Can we get a pool going? One where some non-racing monkeys can participate. ...?
Please no rewards for the pit crew.

When we see you guys returning to the campsite all muddy and bloody, exausted, hungry and gasping for breath, Thats when we know we have already won.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
mogulskr said:
Anyone have a spare volunteer? We are having a hard time convincing someone to drive 2 1/2 hours to stand in the woods for 4 1/2 hours that it would be fun. Still have a month though to find someone.
still need someone to help out? i couldnt put a team together but id like to at least go and do something so im up for anything.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
yeah, im definately interested in being a volunteer for a team since i cant form a team of my own. if anyone needs a volunteer to work one of the shifts just let me know.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
gnurider1080 said:
yeah, im definately interested in being a volunteer for a team since i cant form a team of my own. if anyone needs a volunteer to work one of the shifts just let me know.
From the twenty4sports.com website....

"No Team, but Still Want to Volunteer?

If you would like to volunteer at a 24 Hours of Adrenalin™ event, but are not part of a team, please e-mail twenty4 sports inc. at info@twenty4sports.com. In the subject title please indicate "I want to volunteer", and include in the text; the event you are interested in volunteering at, your strengths (see positions listed below), time availability and your phone number."

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
damn. i cant go at all that weekend. i just found out yesterday that on the 26th i gotta be in CT for my cousin and sister's joint high school graduation party.