Quantcast

24 Hours of Adrenaline @ Dalton 2005- Plans and Smacktalk

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I MTB'd for the first time in about five months last night. I have a looooong way to go before I am in Dalton shape. Most of you are just trying to shake off a winter of not riding, but with our house purchase taking up so much of our time last year, I really have not ridden hard since September. Those bike commutes to work are going to help big time.

Well, I've ridden three times in the past week logging over 80 miles, so it's a start. I also lost a month of training before Dalton last year thanks to that 'Nam-induced back injury.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
blue said:
Looks like I may be down for the count. Upheaval on the home front has put me on a course of brokeness.

*sigh*

:(
That blows, hope everything settles down on the good side of things at home. And I really wanted to see what you thought of wet roots after 24 hours.

splat

Nam I am
I Are Baboon said:
........... Most of you are just trying to shake off a winter of not riding.................
your suppose to stop riding because its winter ???? :confused: I thought is what Studded tires were for :D

I Are Baboon said:
............ I also lost a month of training before Dalton last year thanks to that 'Nam-induced back injury.
That was a Nasty Ugly Crash!!!! especially when you curled up in to the fetus position afterwards. And the worst part is I didn't even take a picture of it . :nope:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
TreeSaw said:
No need to worry IAB...we've been busy too and need to train more :think: I need to find a way to get paid to ride my bike instead of working my regular job.
I might be getting a little extra sponsorship this year. :thumb: Some free gear and help with entry fees, keeping my fingers crossed.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
splat said:
your suppose to stop riding because its winter ???? :confused: I thought is what Studded tires were for :D

That was a Nasty Ugly Crash!!!! especially when you curled up in to the fetus position afterwards. And the worst part is I didn't even take a picture of it . :nope:
No dangerous hucking for me until after Dalton this year.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
douglas said:
Mr. Modest........

hey ECHO & SPLAT, dont forget there is a pats peak thread, Bill offered up his cooking services !
Yeah I'm totally down with that. I gotta get off my ass and start registering for all these damn things.

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
I saw some chat earlier in the thread about training for Dalton and I feel compelled to interject. What is all this about "training rides"? You already know how to ride your bike; you just have to do it longer and faster. I would like my team at least to suspend the focus on bicycle fitness and redirect your efforts to the following training regimen.

Frequency--3 times a week to start then 3 weeks prior to race every night for 2 weeks and one-week abstention to build reserves the week before the race.

Equipment-- Tent, sleeping bag, small children, wet towels, laundry room, landscape contractor, old work boots, a large dog, 6 Grande bean burritos, spiritual motivation on CD, and a boom box.

Regimen--- Set up your tent in the laundry room next to the washer dryer. Arrange your sleeping bag inside tent so the head is closest to the dryer. Around 8pm take the large dog for a brisk walk, 1-1\2 to 2 hours. When you return feed the Burritos to the dog, place the old work boots in the dryer and set to high for 60 minutes. Crawl in your bag, and attempt to get some sleep. (Dog need not be in tent with you but must be in the room)
If perhaps you experience is a period of restless between the time the dryer stops and when the dog starts scratching to get out and polluting the room air, then you may try rebuilding your hubset for relaxation.
When the dog needs to go out, take the wet towels and layer them in your sleeping bag before taking it for another walk. When you return, relocate the tent near an open window, you can turn on the boom box, insert the motivational CD, set it on a continuous loop at medium volume and crawl back into your bag.
Rest

Sometime in the early hours the landscape contractor is bound to come and start blowing leaves or mowing the lawn. Ignore the sun rising and the noise, you can continue to sleep.

You may wonder why an alarm clock is not on the equipment list, not to worry. The small children will be in to wake you at 4:30am. You may cuddle them for 5 minutes if you like but they are going to be hungry so get up and get cooking. It doesn’t matter what you make they are not going to eat it anyway. Take the dog for another walk.

When you get back, then you can go for a training ride, provided the spouse doesn’t have any other chores for you to do.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
McGRP01 said:
VERY cool T!!!! :cool: :thumb:
Yeah, I'm psyched and terrified all at once. Aparently her father is interested in helping out with my training :sneaky: and she's seeking a chick to ride with as often as possible. Now, we just have to set the time.

Echo said:
OK now I'm scared.
:devil: We've talked about pacing ourselves to ride our race laps together for a while at Pats Peak (she's doing the 24 solo and I'm doing the 12 solo). :sneaky:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TreeSaw said:
:devil: We've talked about pacing ourselves to ride our race laps together for a while at Pats Peak (she's doing the 24 solo and I'm doing the 12 solo). :sneaky:
Shoot, maybe I'll follow you two hotties for a few laps too.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
TreeSaw said:
Yeah, I'm psyched and terrified all at once. Aparently her father is interested in helping out with my training :sneaky: and she's seeking a chick to ride with as often as possible. Now, we just have to set the time.

nice!

Can you make any of her Thursday rides at 'The Pitts' ?