Quantcast

24 Hours of Adrenaline World Solo Championships

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Prior to the start all WCS (world championship solo) racers were supposed to check in at the timing tables then line up according to number. We’ll me trying to be smart get my ‘number’ backwards because I was thinking of the ‘numbers’ as ‘seeds’ not numbers so I miss my call out. The only real thing I missed out on was running from the tent to the start line in front of all the spectators, although there is a little ‘Glory’ factor that goes along with that.
The race started in Lemons style. We promptly started running up hill and back around to the start for about 400 meters then went into a ‘parade’ lap up hill again for about a half mile then through the timing tent to start the first lap.
The ground for the start was rocky and loose so I decided to take it easy and just jog the whole thing. With all those people and uneven ground it just seemed like a recipe for disaster and sure enough as soon as I had this thought a guy right next to me turns his ankle and hits the ground and 4 people run him over and hit the ground too. Close call.
I finish the loop but don’t look around to see what spot I’m in. I have to race my race. I grab my bike and the traffic jam instantly starts and I hear a few people grumble about it because they ran so hard but they’re in the same spot as people who took it easy, HaHa!
Once on the bikes we start heading up hill. The parade lap took a really sharp turn upwards and some people just jumped off and started walking, not really a bad strategy but they could have at least looked around or warned the people around them because they we starting even more traffic jams. At the top of the lap the trail went down sharply then back to the timing tent.
Back through the timing tent the first lap actually started. Out through the parking lot and down a very long steep open field, during the winter I’m sure it’s a ski slope. I clock 33mph without pedaling. It was pretty crazy because lot’s of people were braking hard going down it but I was just letting it go even though there were some pallet bridge water crossing type things that I would catch a little air off of when going over them. At the bottom the trial took a hard right and the traffic started backing way up again because they made a bridge specifically for this event and only 1 person could cross at a time. Then it went into the riverbed, which was wet, and slick then steeply back up the other side of the bank on another bridge, most everybody was walking backing the whole group up.
Then the trail opened up onto a wide jogging path that was hard packed ground with a pea gravel aggregate over the top a little sketchy but fast. I had changed out my rear tire before the race specifically for sections like these and it worked out well. Entering the single-track portion of the race there was a little outhouse off to the right of the trail, which I stopped at each lap, I was well hydrated during this race :)
The next section was fun and reminiscent of Comfort, some open rocky double track into nice tight single track. These sections were twisty and rocky with short climbs and nice steep short down hills they were fun to ride. The next section was a loamy twisty section and not too difficult but it opened up into the jogging track climbs. This section was quite long but had some fast flowie fun parts to it but mostly slow going climbing.
The rest of the trail was ok and switched back and forth between single and double track but nothing to technical and with moderate climbs. The final section began with a fun flowing downhill section that spit you out onto a paved road where you could grab some water and down some GU to prepare for the final climb of the race.
The last section was about 2.5 miles long and started with a STEEP climb then a short down hill that ended, for the regular racers back at the timing tent, but broke to the left for the WCS racers that went straight up a ski slope. This climb, after the prior brutal climb, for me was almost unrideable and part of my strategy to was to walk most sections to keep from blowing up. Then it ended in a crazy short section of technical, slick though single track with lots of roots and log drops. Double Black Diamond rated.
I was really excited to be racing on the first lap and was going way faster and harder than I ever expected. I got in a group and just got carried away even though in my mind I kept telling myself to ‘Slow DOWN’ it just never really happened. The afternoon was mild and it was a perfect day for a race. Some of the people in the little groups I was riding with were ‘all race’ and not talking but some were a bit chatty and we talk a little bit.
I ended the first lap in 1:35 which was way too fast considering we did the run and the parade lap but oh well I’ll just try to focus on slowing down and getting into a groove.
On the second lap I put my headphones on and put some techno music on. No singing but lots of steady beats to pedal too. On this lap I kept a decent pace but going up the hills I could tell there would be no way to maintain the pace I had set even on this lap the trail is just too difficult. This was also a fast lap at 1:34 (end 3:09pm)
Into the pit area for my third lap I’m starting to feel a little weak so I down a half a penutbutter and bagel sandwich and some GU. I don’t know if it was the fact that I’m used to racing in really hot weather but I was really drinking a LOT of water, way more than I should have been and I ended up with a bloated achy stomach. So I down some Tums too and start feeling a little better and out I go. This lap is a little slower and I don’t feel all that strong but I do feel if I can get over the stomach thing that this would probably be the pace I’d try to keep through out the race. Ends being a decent lap at 1:45 (4:54 pm)
Lap number 4 and 5 are kind of blurry to me and I’m pretty sure this is where it happened but I came in and Beth asked me if I was having any bike problems and I said “Yea the front derailleur is messing up” and asked if she could take it over to a mechanic friend and have him look at it. She said “yea” and headed off while I took care of fueling up. It seemed like it was taking a long time so I headed out to find out what the problem was. When I get over there Beth says there’s a problem and the guy proceeds to explain the problem. And I say ‘Ok thanks’ while their just staring at me blankly and I grab the bike and head back over to the tent to get ready for my lap. I ask Beth to put out the word that we needed a part while I was out and that if she could find it I would of course pay for any expenses it would take to fix it. It was a decent lap including the TA at 2:05 (6:59)
When I came in for 5 Beth says she’s found the part and the Mavic natural support guys could fix it so I say great head over there and get it done. This is where I kind of made a mistake. I was actually feeling ok and should have just jumped on Beth’s bike and headed out for a lap but I have never ridden her bike and it’s completely different than what I’m used to and figured that if I could just wait and extra 5 minutes for mine I’d be better off. But those 5 minutes turned in to 30 minutes and I sent a guy over to find out what the deal was and he came back and said their done that ‘should’ just have to put a bolt in then she’d be back over. 5 minutes later still no bike, I still should have, again, just jumped on Beth’s bike and went out but the thought of riding her bike was making me nervous so I headed over to the tent. The bike was still up on the rack and the part was not installed so I headed back to the teat to jump on Beth’s bike and went. More than 45 minutes had passed and including the 15 or so minutes from the prior stop I had about an hour or so off the bike off the trail. Big mistake.
I ride Beth’s bike timidly along the trail primarily because she has disk brakes that are WAY more sensitive than the ones I use and lock up easily causing some pensive moments throughout the lap. This was also my first night lap on this course for the race or any other time for that fact and it was intense but fun. Decent lap 2:03 (9:02)
The rest of the night laps are pretty much the same in my mind from now on out. I come in and my bike is ready so I get something to eat and switch out. Take a little extra time to warm up and fuel up. I’m starting to ware down a little and it’s getting cold. For some reason at the end of this lap my light starts getting dim and that’s a bad sign. My light only runs at full capacity if it starts to dim that means I only have a very short time before it’s out. It doesn’t make sense that I’m out because I’m sure I haven’t used it for the full 4 hours yet but there is no arguing that fact with the light. I’m walking the CLIMB OF DOOM now and don’t need it so I just turn it off and walk hoping to have enough to last through the final section of single track. It doesn’t last. The moment I get into the single track and turn it on it goes out. Lucky I have a mini-mag light in my camelbak (as required by the rules) and I walk most of this section because the light isn’t bright enough to ride but I can at least see. I limp in considering myself lucky that the light didn’t go out earlier in that lap, other wise I would have lost a lot of time.
I come in its now 11:18 and cold. I’m tired and I can’t eat. At this point my body doesn’t want to ingest anything but Beth starts forcing me to eat, which is good but it takes a few minutes to settle down before I can actually do it.
It’s a beautiful night clear and the moon is bright. At one of the open spots on top of the mountain I actually stop and try to take in all the scenery. People are starting to get a little worn out and I guess just want to talk a little. One of the first place women and I have a brief conversation about her ‘bungholio’ and how bad it hurts. Then we talk about Beavis and Butthead for a short time. For the rest of that lap all I could think of was Beavis’s Cornhilio character – Are you threatening me? Need TP for my bunghole.
Another weird thing is that when the pro’s come up behind you most of the time they don’t even have to say anything because their going so fast that they sound like a freight train plowing through the woods and you just ‘know’ it’s someone fast. I usually immediately got off the trail to let those guys go by.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Finishing this lap as I traverse the HILL OF DOOM I look back to take stock of the people following. It’s dark, it’s cold and for some reason I feel lonely. I look back and there’s not another soul around and it’s peaceful and quite. At this point I feel that I have somehow accomplished a goal just by sticking it out whether I be in first or last place. I believe others have stayed behind in their warm comfortable tents and am not even a slight be jealous.
At the end of lap 8 I’m tired. I’m dead. I need a nap. So I get set to take one. I only want 30 minutes but Beth freaks out. ‘Don’t do it you wont wana get up (I didn’t wana get up right then so what was the difference?)’ So I lay on the ground and nap because it’s cold down there and regardless I’m not going to stay down there too long. 30 minutes later the alarm goes off and I roll over and reset it but Beth comes over all angry “Beth like” and say’s ‘Your not going to sleep so well if I yank off that blanket’ and I’m like ‘it’s going to be hard for you see after I black your eye for taking by blankie.’ :)
So I lay back down for about a minute then get up and start getting ready to go out again. While I was doing that I heard the guys in the other tent say ‘He aint going to get up again.’ That was just extra fuel to help me get out.
I get up, it’s cold. I hate it. Fortunately towards the end of this lap the sun starts to come up. That helps a lot. I finish at 7:45 tired but a little upbeat. I know that I can reach the goal I set pretty easily and if I really push it I’ll be able to get another lap down.
It takes a long time to get out after this lap though. I eat a lot and rest and try to warm up.
Once I get out on the trail it’s slow going. The root sections seem a little slicker so I walk most of them. The hills seem a little steeper so I walk a few more sections than before. I get to the CLIMB OF DOOM completely worn out and I walk the whole thing where as on prior laps I would ride certain sections. I get to the final section of single track and walk most of that because I’m completely worn out. The whole lap I’m trying to figure out if I should do another lap and the only thing that goes through my mind is “DON’T CROSS THE FINISH LINE!” If I were to cross the finish line before 11 I’d have to go out for another lap and at the point I just don’t think it will be possible. I decide at the end not to go out again, I just didn’t have it anymore. It’s now 10:45 and the last 2 laps have taken 3 hours to complete and I only have 2:15 to complete the final one and I haven’t even eaten yet so the decision is really made for me and I’m ok with it.
As I viewed the results and as luck would have it even if I went out for that extra lap it wouldn’t have changed my position any.
This is by far the hardest race I have ever competed in. In comparison, earlier this year I did a 12-hour race of the same lap distance as this one and I did exactly the same distance in both races, the 12 verses the 24. That’s hard. The whole vacation was awesome. It’s one of the best places I have ever been to for riding. The trails are in awesome shape and there are some many we rarely came across any other rides making the rides quite and peaceful.
I’ve been asked if I’ll do it again next year and so far my answer is “eh a year is a long time to make up my mind.”

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Good write up, and again glad you enjoyed it. Congrats on the finish...

And beth told me about the blankie incident...you should post the picture of her stealing it haha

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
pit area 1 and 2

tricky bridge crossing

i think i drank too much water (get it my belly)

tum, tumtum tums!

seriously all joking aside if you take my blankie i will kick your ass

done

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
yo toniton! good job at finishin that bad boy out. that sounds like a ****ing awesome course, filled with all sorts of little obstacles. what type of stuff were you finding that you were capable of holding down (just curious as it differs from person to person).

way to go bro!!

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How much climbing was in a lap?

I've discovered the answer to 24 hour racing...I did my last two laps on poppy seed muffins and Bawls energy drinks. Mmmm...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I don't know about this year but I assume it should be close to last year. 1350 ft climb per lap with a 15.7 km lap length. They did change the course but in generaly it was close to last year BUT this year on more single track then before.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Ooooohhh fun...it would've been fun to do that one if I had the money for traveling. The race I did had a crappy course, 11 miles long with 2000 climbing, but a lot of the climbing was on brand new singletrack with foot deep dust :dead:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
indieboy said:
yo toniton! good job at finishin that bad boy out. that sounds like a ****ing awesome course, filled with all sorts of little obstacles. what type of stuff were you finding that you were capable of holding down (just curious as it differs from person to person).

way to go bro!!
after about 4/5 hours i was having a hard time getting food in so i'd actually have to wait a little while after i came in to try and eat. the really late hours i was even harder.
early on i was taking 2 Gu's about every 3/4's lap (i fuel up right before the HILL OF DOOM) then when i was in TA i would get something like 4 fig newtons and 2 gu's making sure to have plenty of salty/sugary fluids. The cytomax i brought with me, new flavor, just didnt seem to be doing to the so i switched to Gatorade and water for pretty much the whole event.
later, once it got cold, i would still take the Gu but i switch to hard carbs also.
from lap 5 or 6 on i would eat 1/2 a bowl of beef stew with POTATO's or a bowl of tortellini stuffed with cheese. both of those went down pretty easy once i could eat.

If I do many more of these I’m really going to focus in and try to find compact easy to eat foods that can keep me out on the course longer al la’ 5 time world solo champion Chris Eatough.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
The Toninator said:
after about 4/5 hours i was having a hard time getting food in so i'd actually have to wait a little while after i came in to try and eat. the really late hours i was even harder.
early on i was taking 2 Gu's about every 3/4's lap (i fuel up right before the HILL OF DOOM) then when i was in TA i would get something like 4 fig newtons and 2 gu's making sure to have plenty of salty/sugary fluids. The cytomax i brought with me, new flavor, just didnt seem to be doing to the so i switched to Gatorade and water for pretty much the whole event.
later, once it got cold, i would still take the Gu but i switch to hard carbs also.
from lap 5 or 6 on i would eat 1/2 a bowl of beef stew with POTATO's or a bowl of tortellini stuffed with cheese. both of those went down pretty easy once i could eat.

If I do many more of these I’m really going to focus in and try to find compact easy to eat foods that can keep me out on the course longer al la’ 5 time world solo champion Chris Eatough.
alot of the energy drinks i've been using over the last couple of years have been products that aren't really citrus-y. stuff like sustained energy, and extran (well guess that one is) but they are gentle on the stomach and are packed with tons of carbs and other things to keep ya thinkin straight. may one to try one of those out for a longer distance race instead of cyto. but good job man i'm ****in uber proud of you!! that's not an easy race by anymeans.

as for the way eatough eats.....that is such a frickin cool system!!