Quantcast

24 hours of Dalton

justbill

Stunt Humper
Mar 29, 2004
barefoot in the kitchen...
I had a terrific time. Thanks to all the monkeys for letting me help out. I have made a lot of mental notes for next years effort so if your interested in having me again i will be available.

Things to bring again
Turkey
Pizza
Heaters
big tarp

Things to leave home
Fire wood
Yogurt
chairs
my bike

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OK, here are some of my pics. Ill try to do them in chrono order...

Friday night was rainy and cloudy, so we sat around taking pictures.

Here is the welcome sign, a picture of the Jackalope/Ass Balancer camp, and Team 4MAAB's bikes resting for the race. :cool:

Attachments

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Here is the turkey Justbill made Friday night. This was easily the best tasting turkey I've ever had! Simply delicious!

Also, I think this was a plate of turkey fat jdcamb wanted to have for dessert. :D

Attachments

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The first pic is Douglas getting ready Saturday before the race. Look at Doug getting his game face on!

The 2nd pic is (L to R) Stuntmatty, Doug, and Squirrel lining up for the Le Mans start.

Pic 3 is right before the start of the race.

Attachments

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pic 1 is ghostrider, Splat, and Deyv getting ready for lap two.

The 2nd is Splat coming down the trail shortly into his first lap. Shortly after this spot begins the grueling four miles of climbing.

Pic 3 is Westy in the same spot.

Attachments

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The first picture here would have been a good one of JT if I had my damn camera on the right setting! :mumble:

The second pic is Doug coming in for our teams 19th and final lap. We did good. :)

Mark, sorry I don't have any action shots of you. :( I crashed at camp after each one of my laps and since you went after me, I was resting while you rode.

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I Are Baboon said:
The first pic is Douglas getting ready Saturday before the race. Look at Doug getting his game face on!

The 2nd pic is (L to R) Stuntmatty, Doug, and Squirrel lining up for the Le Mans start.

Pic 3 is right before the start of the race.
The woman in the IF Jersey in pic 2 was hella fast - she had all the fastest female lap times, but came in second - I guess she rested more than the woman who came in first or something - and I think she did it all on a Single Speed! :eek: :eek:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
okay here are some of my pics. I planned on taking more but I guess I got caught up in the event and forgot to snap more pics - oh well. I think the rest of the Monkeys more than made up for it.

Pic One - the Team Jackelope AllezY Banner

Pic Two - Our Camp and Bikes!

Pic Three - Team Ass Balancers and their killer Banner! :cool:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
This is a very cool photo that Splat took. This is Isabelle (Deyv's girlfriend) coming out of the woods heading to the 4 mile climb. To the left are a bunch of monkey cheering her on (Echo, Jollytime, Deyv, MtnBikerChk, TreeSaw).

Good stuff. :)

Attachments

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
More Pics

1 - Friday Night Smores compliments of Justbill - the Smore Making Master himself! I think this was the first time Isabelle had a Smore!

2. Deyv - cooking on Friday evening

3. The countdown to the LeMans start - it was so awesome, music cranking, the wind blowing the 24 Hours banners and riders bouncing up and down getting ready for the start.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
1. Doug running the Le Mans start

2. Splat going through the Under on his first lap

3. Isabelle going through the under on her last lap

4. Isabelle heading up the short hill after the under - Go Isa!!! :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Pic One - Doug going down the Over on his final lap! He just flew all weekend long!

Pic Two - IAB finishing up his last lap - and FASTEST LAP - going down the Over

Pic Three - Doug going through the Under on his final lap - Doug had this twisty under section nailed ever lap!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well those are most of my photos - I have a few more random shots. Wish I took more, but my memories of that weekend will live on for a long long time - actually forever!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MMcG said:
okay here are some of my pics. I planned on taking more but I guess I got caught up in the event and forgot to snap more pics - oh well. I think the rest of the Monkeys more than made up for it.

Pic One - the Team Jackelope AllezY Banner

Pic Two - Our Camp and Bikes!

Pic Three - Team Ass Balancers and their killer Banner! :cool:
We totally represented with our Ghetto style!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
A few shots of our camp...

1 - our little tent city
2 - chillin' under the big top
3 - Our wrench-ready pit area
4 - ghetto style/creating the Team Ass Balancer banner (thanks to all who helped!)
5 - Stuntmatty taggin our banner with some RM style.

splat

Nam I am
OK , since I have over extended the amount of Pics I'm allowed to post . I guess I'll post them some where else and cross post them over here.
I have lots And I will do them in batches

here is the first batch.

Arrival!

Instigator out on the preride. It was not late out at all! Notice how dark it was in the woods.

Isabell crossing a bridge on the pre-ride ( still dark )

Isabell and Instigator , the pipeline climb ( just before the 2nd check point )

MMcG coming back from his pre-ride

the Making of the Banner ( my kids helping )

Team Ass balancers

Team Jakalope

4 :monkey:s and a Baboon (Ours was taken at the end and the rain really played hell with the sign)

the 3 teams together

and the Man Him self ! WESTY !!!!!!

It says it all !

splat

Nam I am
Ok next batch!

did mention that On the pre-ride I took a dum fall and put my head right into a corner of a 2x4 , and cracked my helmet , here it what the top of my helmet looks like ! that would have really hurt with out the brain Bucket on.

Bill making some Yummy break fast. and I do believe all teams enjoyed his cooking ! it was awesome Bill!!!!!!!

jdcamb and the Magsterrap ( my wife ) coming back to camp.

getting a little artsy here 306 were the ass Balancers 333 the jakalopes

and 316 was the 4MAAB with all our steads ready for battle !

JT coming back to Camp

Bikes all lined up ready to go !

Bill heard some noise and decide to come check it out !

and there off !

Me on deck and heading over to the transfer point.

Just got the baton and off I go!

splat

Nam I am
This is the turn that immediatly follows the over/under and when you have all that speed from coming down the ramp.

saw alot of people buy it on this turn.

now my New Camera , has a mode where it can take 4 FPS

here is IAB coming into the Over/under

Here is Air Echo on the over Portion from the same vantage point

Deyv and Ghostrider

Instigator coming out from the under

Instigator , making the turn up hill

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Awesome Pics Splat.

Here's my take on the weekend:

Originaly written for AllezY.net

It all started on Ridemonkey.com where people started to talk about forming teams to compete in the 24 hours of Adrenaline in Dalton, Massachusett. Isa and me joined 3 friends from Rochester to create team Jackalope/AllezY team to race along 2 other Ridemonkeys teams: Team Ass balancers and Team 4 monkeys and a baboon.

The most important thing to do when we got on site was to put up the beautifull banner made by John (Echo).

Our Sister team, team Ass Balancers, did not have a banner yet so we worked with them to create a true work of art.

The name Ass Balancers come from the Monkeyfest last year when Ralph (Instigator) made the mistake to show off to everyone that he was able to balance himself sitting on a Teeter Tooter with 1 beer in 1 hand and food in the other. He got stuck with this custom title on RM ever since.

We had so much fun doing this last minute banner.

Here's Team Ass Balancers: Bob (Grease Monkey), Mike (Ghostrider), Ralph (Instigator), Matt (Stuntmatty) , Teresa (Treesaw) and their volunteer Teresa's sister.

Team Jackalope/AllezY: Deyv, Isa, John (Echo), Earl, Mike (Tweek) and Teresa's other twin sister Heather.

and finally Team 4 monkeys and a baboon: Justbill(Volunteer), Mark (MMcG), Douglas, JT, Splat and his wife and Phil (Baboon)

As always Teresa cooked enough food for a army but who are we to complain!

bikes, bikes, bikes everywhere

Friday night after a very enjoyable pre-ride we hung out at basecamp for a relax evening , we knew that saturday evening would not be like that at all.

Our campsite was very welcoming with the many Tiki Lanterns setup everwhere

Here is some major ass balancing skills being performed. (Notice how 2 of the lanterns are being held)

Drying station

Race Time! Saturday just before noon the 2 starters for Team Jack/Allezy and ASSb where waiting for the signal to start the run of this Lemans start

GO!

Matt arriving to the transition area to pick up his bike

The starters of each team had to do a short run (lemans start) in order to spread out the field. Earl passed the under/over bridge in the first pack of riders

The course was very fun. It started with a beautifull singletrack in the lush forest. That singletrack became more and more technical and with a slight uphill it was draining our batteries fast. Then we got to the start of a mile long fireroad climb that seemed to never end. Checkpoint #1 marked the end of the fireroad climb and the begining of some more challenging singletrack again with a sligh uphill. Thanks to Newton, everything that goes up most come down, a long fast and rocky downhill satisfied even the most experienced dhers among us. In that second part many mud sections and rock gardens were giving big time advantage to riders that could clear them. Just before Checkpoint #2 , the demoralizator (as douglas nicknamed it) was there to get rid of any energy that some of us might still have. After some water, gatorade or shot at the checkpoint it was all fun and games but riders that were too tired to concentrate on the sketcky downhills paid the price.

Laps were generally between 50 minutes and 1h20 depending on riders and lighting conditions.

At first we found the course very difficult but every time we rode it we just wanted more. In between laps we could not stop talking about how we cleared the mud fest with the logs, flew off the little rock drop toward the end, slid on that slippery bridge, climbed the fireroad like a goat on speed etc..... at the end we knew every little rock by it's middle name.

Ghostider, Splat and Me waiting in the transition area for our lap.

Earl got a flat just towards the end of the course. He ran to the transition area and only lost a couple of seconds.

After a couple of laps fatigue showed up but nothing we could not handled

Everytime we tought we were too tired to get back on the bike we found some energy god knows where and suprised ourselves again and again.

The night laps were of course the hardest but it was so much fun to ride in the darkness with only the sound of our tires rolling on the soft and humid ground. That and the sound of you crashing in the rocks because you lights went dead *cough* *cough* Grease Monkey *cough* :D

Ghostrider (Echo's Brother) flew from California to come and compete with us. Also their parent came to cheer them and help everyone out.

Isa had a tough position in the Team, she had to do 2 night laps and leave to do the last lap of the day when everyone were finished and drinking beer.

Here's Echo takling the turns before going under the bridge.

Everyone did really great and we were a great 3 teams. I was suprised by everyone performances Good job Gang!

Here's Isa completing our 20th lap just little bit after 24 hours of riding

Our results can be found here

Ridemonkey might be a virtual community but nothing felt more real than 20 people meeting together to race, have fun and most importantly become good friends.

It was great to race and hang out with all the knowed and new monkeys. See you at Monkeyfest