Quantcast

24 hours of Dalton

splat

Nam I am
another batch

IAB on the O/U

MMcG coming into the O/U

Now on his way out

Now MMcG is one of those riders on the ridge.

that was alos cool at night to see the lights going across that ridge from camp.

MY son racing in the 3-7 division , he is 7 and he owned it !

My Daughter ( 10 ) in the 8+ divison, she is also demostrating why you use 3 ties to hold you Number plate on.

MY son did so well in the 3-7 he decided to try his hand with the older kids , he had a blast , at least he was able to pass this kid who was missing a wheel.

Now back to the adults race

here I am going out on my next lap , the twilight lap , note my lights are mounted , and I needed them by lap end

This is another one of me , it is actually jdcambs picture but I liked it .

and them my wife got a Blurry picture of me on the O/U, but it was getting dark .

splat

Nam I am
Final batch , then it is off to bed for me!

OK next morning after my final lap, I was able to just route every one .

here is WESTY still going strong!!

Instigator doing ass balancers final lap

Insitigator again out of the O/U

Tweek , coming down the ramp

Isabel on the jakalopes final lap

IAB on top of the O/U

Douglas , on our final lap.

westy the man of steel going out for one more lap to get 2nd place, look at ther time . that must have been so hard to do !

He truely is the man of steel right here

way to go WESTY !!!!

Douglas ---- Done! 19 laps !

Isabel --- Done !! 20 laps

and that is it!!!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
These are the kinds of memories that stay with you forever. I'll say it again, awesome weekend everyone!

Westy, you kicked so much ass, they had to get more ass brought in just because of you. Great job dude :thumb:

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Wow. What a weekend. I'm very glad to do my first 24-hour race with a great group of monkeys. The comradarie made the more hellish parts of it bearable. I don't have any pics to show, so I'll just give my quick impressions of the weekend (I usually don't do impressions. :rolleyes: )
  • Westy -- what more can I say in this thread? A nice guy who's fast and an iron man in his first solo. Truly an inspiration.
  • My teammates Deyv and Squirrel showed that I will never catch them, so I'll give up trying now. :D
  • Douglas can back up the smack with his laps.
  • Stuntmatty, out of his element, put in impressive times. (He stopped for about 10-15 min. on his 2nd lap to help an injured rider, folks. What a nice Thnikkaman.)
  • IAB and Greasey Monkey showed what it takes to go for 24 hours -- IAB felt like hurling his Clif Bars™ on his last night lap, and Greasey felt "absolutely terrible" before his final lap. Both went out and kicked ass anyway. :thumb:
  • JollyTime -- Well, who's to say you can't do a 24 on a Bullit? :D
  • JustBill -- Thanks for the leftovers and especially the extra heater to keep our teammates warm while waiting for the night laps.
  • TreeSaw -- Good job on your first major race (maybe even 1st race?), just remember to hydrate better next time, sweetie. ;)
  • Ghostrider -- You tha man for coming across the country to race with us. Wish I could hang and ride with you more.
  • MMcG -- Nice to finally meet you. See you again at Monkeyfest II.
  • Splat -- Nice job on the pics, and when riding, like in life... never look back. :p
  • Isa -- Even though I knew you'd do well, you still impressed the hell outta me. :cool:
  • Instigator -- We need to talk about your drinking problem, bro. At least we waited until our laps were over to pop one open.
  • Echo -- Learn to carry a pump with you, bish!! :devil:

Edit: added bullets

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Tweek said:
Stuntmatty, out of his element, put in impressive times. (He stopped for about 10-15 min. on his 2nd lap to help an injured rider, folks. What a nice Thnikkaman.)
What a guy! :thumb: That's what this race was all about. :)
IAB and Greasey Monkey showed what it takes to go for 24 hours -- IAB felt like hurling his Clif Bars™ on his last night lap, and Greasey felt "absolutely terrible" before his final lap. Both went out and kicked ass anyway. :thumb:
I did NOT want to go out for the final lap because I felt terrible, but I insisted on being the third rider of our group so I sucked it up. Like I told Mark, sometimes the mind has to carry the body, and that's what happened my final lap. :)

Splat, awesome pictures, man. I'm still smiling from the weekend. :)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Awesome comments/pics !

Has anyone heard from Westy? or is he still sleeping?

I hope I am not the only one that is still sore/in pain!

and I'm still :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
douglas said:
Awesome comments/pics !

Has anyone head from Westy? or is he still sleeping?

I hope I am not the only one that is still sore/in pain!

and I'm still :D
No word from Westy, but I saw him on RM lurking last night.

My back still hurts and my knee is swollen. I think the swollen knee is from bashing it on my stem on lap three.

But I'm all :) 's. :)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What a weekend! So much to say I don't know where to start. But since it hurts my left hand to type I will keep it short.

After a very long drive of battling construction and traffic jams I made it to Dalton much later than I originally wanted. After setting up camp I only had a little while to introduce myself and hang out with the rest of the :monkey:'s before going to bed. Of course they did not disapoint, everyone was very cool and a beer was offered to me by IRB within minutes. :thumb:

I also go to meet some other cool people over in the Solo camping area. My two neighbors were also riding solo with minimal support. One guy Matt was just really doing his first ride in months after crashing on a broken beer bottle that had mangled his forearm pretty bad. He thought that after all the surgery and physical therapy the race would not seem that hard. My other neighbor, Mossimo, was a very funny outspoken dude from Italy. He had me laughing all the time with his thoughts on everything.

Eventually the race started, I was really busy getting ready and had little time to feel nervous. I hate running, especially in stupid bike shoes so I just went at a comfortable gallup until I reached the bike. Once On the bike I tried to go at a nice slow pace but the exitement of it all made it hard. I was going faster than I wanted but it was fun so I did not care.

The first lap was fun, I felt good and cranked up the climb, on the downhill I tried to sit back and watch others to find the best line. My second lap I decided to put the hammer down while I still felt good and managed to turn out a pretty fast lap. I think I had some other laps like that but it was impossible to tell because after the first two I always had to stop at my camp to eat or work on the bike.

Things went great for all the daylight laps, I felt great and was having fun. The first night lap thing changed a bit. My legs still felt good and I could take the climbs with no problems but fatigue was setting in. It was getting harder to focus on the trail and my reflexes were slowing down. On the wide smooth dry downhill near the end, for no good reason I suddenly found myself without a bike underneath me. The resulting crash left me with my left hand hurting like mad, the knuckle on my left pinky is swollen and a light shade of purple. It has not gotten any better so I will be going to the doctors after work today.

Anyway after the crash I realized I needed to take it easy on the downhills and finish in one piece. Things went well for a while until about 3:00 AM. It seemed like out of nowhere it got cold, really cold. After I finished my lap I put on a bunch of clothes but was still shivering. I Climbed into my sleeping bag for a while and still could not warm up. I eventually started my car and took a nap with the heat on. I finally warmed up enough just as the sun came up. I walked over to the start finish area and got myself a cup of hot chocolate, I have to say that was the best cup of hot chocolate EVER.

On the way back to my campsite I checked the standings and was extremely surprised to find out that I was in first place. This gave me a big shot of motivation and I hopped back on the bike and started grinding out laps again. Yada yada yada I rode around in circles for 7 more hours and ended up in second place.

It turns out I was never actually in first place though. The timing booth had screwed up and forgot to count the winners second lap. They went back through the check station records and confirmed the mistake. The race organizers pulled me and the other podium finishers into the office and apoligized for a good half hour, they were concerned that we would protest the results because seeing the incorrect standings may have changed our strategies. I told them it did not bother me, Chris, the winner was turning out much faster and consistant lap times than I was, he would have beat me no matter what, not to mention the fact that I did not even check the standings until 16 hours into the race. The third place guy seemed pretty upset, but I don't know why because he would have still been third if they pulled one of Chris's laps.

Anyway I am extremely gratefull for all the support the other monkeys gave me. There were so many times when I wanted to quit but then I would hear someone yell "GO WESTY" and I would feel so much better and want to keep going. On my second to last lap I almost dropped out, but then I went through the over under and everyone was there yelling and screaming, it helped so much that not only did I finish that lap but decided to continue past 11:00 and do another lap for no good reason.

And special thanks go to JDCamb. He helped me out with my bike a bunch of times, helped me pack my stuff and scrounged up some Endurolite pills for me when I ran out. And of course thanks to Echo for the Endurolites.

The only thing that sucked about the weekend is that I did not have more time to hang out and I never got to ride with anybody. Although I did see Deyv pass me doing mach 3 down one of sketchy rock sections.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Westy said:
And special thanks go to JDCamb. He helped me out with my bike a bunch of times, helped me pack my stuff and scrounged up some Endurolite pills for me when I ran out. And of course thanks to Echo for the Endurolites.

The only thing that sucked about the weekend is that I did not have more time to hang out and I never got to ride with anybody. Although I did see Deyv pass me doing mach 3 down one of sketchy rock sections.
Your welcome. Hope your hand is fine.....jdcamb

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
One thing that tweek mention a little on was stuntmatty.

I want to point out that he rode all 4 laps on a lenzsport DH brawler (check pic). although it was built up a light 29 pounds, it only had a 34 tooth front ring and a 12-32 8speed cassette on back. The swingarm pivots around the BB and that makes the bike bob like crazy when pedaling. Most important to me is he did all his riding on platform pedals :eek:

Matty you are an animal for sure. Westy is still the king though ;)

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
Instigator said:
One thing that tweek mention a little on was stuntmatty.

I want to point out that he rode all 4 laps on a lenzsport DH brawler (check pic). although it was built up a light 29 pounds, it only had a 34 tooth front ring and a 12-32 8speed cassette on back. The swingarm pivots around the BB and that makes the bike bob like crazy when pedaling. Most important to me is he did all his riding on platform pedals :eek:

How that bike came through unscathed, I'll never know. :p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Instigator said:
It was great to meet Matty, Tweek, Echo,Ghostrider, Instigator, Treesaw, Squirrel, Greasey Monkey etc. etc. all for the first time.

I got a kick out of Matty's ghettorigged shin pad! :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Westy said:
What a weekend!
You're the man Westy. :monkey:

I have great respect for your performance and wish I had been there to witness it. Not only are you a class act but you delivered the goods as well.

You are definately on the sort list of those monkeys I respect and admire the most.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Kind of bummed out that I missed meeting you guys! Our team (Pedalmasher.com / Tequila Sunrise) had a great time at the race and were lucky to get on the podium.

All of the solo racers deserve the utmost respect. Congrats on your finish Westy that is definately something to be proud of, I hope your recovery is quick.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
splat said:
COngrats on the great finish , and we didn't know! you should have come over and introduced your self.

and Post your laps Times!!!
Someone on his team pulled a 51 minute Lap!!

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
ghostrider said:
If his name was Chris, somebody owes him a bottle of JD.
Nope, wasn't me. The guy who pulled the 51 only did one lap. But hey, one lap at 51 was worth it. We were short a team member and needed someone to get us into the 5 person 200+ catagory.

My best, unfortunately, was 1:06.

I left the bottle of Tequila up there, so if I owe someone a bottle let me know.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Chris01 said:
Nope, wasn't me. The guy who pulled the 51 only did one lap. But hey, one lap at 51 was worth it. We were short a team member and needed someone to get us into the 5 person 200+ catagory.

My best, unfortunately, was 1:06.

I left the bottle of Tequila up there, so if I owe someone a bottle let me know.
awe man you guys got to go? who all went? how did y'all do? compare the course to one of ours...

splat

Nam I am
Chris01 said:
you were the team who was a guy short !??! I really wish we had Known, we herd them announce some one looking for Aa team member, We were trying to convince jfdcamb to go hop on that team , but he was afraid of being slowing you down.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
splat said:
Tony Next year come on up and Be part of the 24 Hours of the Monkey
yea i might be doing it well see how i do in sept. if i do well there dalton will be on the schedule! some people are also talking about coming out this way for the 24 hours of old publeo. i think that race is early in the year like feb or something.

hey chris did y'all fly or drive?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
you were the team who was a guy short !??! I really wish we had Known, we herd them announce some one looking for Aa team member, We were trying to convince jfdcamb to go hop on that team , but he was afraid of being slowing you down.

I rode with jdcamp thursday (pinebush), and again saturday for a preride at Dalton........he wouldnt be slowing any team down

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
The Toninator said:
awe man you guys got to go? who all went? how did y'all do? compare the course to one of ours...

My 2nd year up. Toni you would dig this one, you have a spot on my team next year if you want it. My wife is from Dalton, so we go up and visit family. Her uncle (62yrs young) bikes and he put the team together.

Can't really compare it to anything around here. It is all that good muddy loam with slick roots and rocks. Up for 4.2 miles and then back down. Might be slightly comparable to the Kerrville track.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
splat said:
Tony Next year come on up and Be part of the 24 Hours of the Monkey
24 hours of the Monkey. :think:
Splat, that sounds like an idea -- The Ridemonkey 24-Hour Invitational. A 24-hour race held somewhere centrally located in North America. All participants would be RM members.
Just think of the bragging rights! :D

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
splat said:
We never made an announcement but were asking around for quite a while. We had this guy who said he would do a lap if we needed it already lined up, so when worse came to worse we just went with it. It worked out ok, had we had a 5th we might could have done a little better. The course was wearing on us and a couple guys got a little injured so they sat out part of the night. We survived and were very happy with the finish.

Our last rider went out on his last lap trailing 3rd by 39sec, by the time they finished he had put 5 minutes into the 3rd place team!! What a strong ride!! 1:04 starting at about 11:30am.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
So, I'm finally back in California, and I figure I should capture my thoughts. In short, what a great weekend! I jumped at the opportunity to join in on the action because my crystal ball predicted putting that many cool people in one place for a bike race couldn't help but be a damn good time. It was a marathon weekend for me, not even counting the bike riding, and now I'm back at work, suffering from severe post-vacation depression. I was looking forward to this trip for a long time, and it did not disappoint.

I flew out Thursday night on a red eye out of LAX, and as usual for me, didn't get a moment of sleep. I met up with TreeSaw, Squirrel, Echo, Tweek, Deyv and Isabelle, and TreeSaw's twin sisters for the big caravan to Dalton. By the time we got out there and got camp set up, I was ready to pass out. I did so, but the minute I fell asleep, I was informed it was time for the pre-ride. I dragged my butt out of bed and got my bike together and joined the group for a slow tour of the course. I was a bit worried coming in to the weekend about how the course would be, since the east coast riding is so different from what I've been riding out here. I was happy to find it pretty dry and fast, the climbs were no big deal, just a little mud, and a whole load of fun to ride. No problem. As long as it didn't rain or something. After the pre-ride, I had some dinner and went straight to bed. Too bad about the red eye, I missed out on some prime socializing - I really wanted some time to talk to Westy and Chris01 about some non-biking items, but oh well. There's always ridemonkey.

So, I wake up in the middle of the night Friday to a strange pattering sound on my tent. Could that be RAIN?? Oh crap, hope it doesn't last. No luck, it rained all night and most of the morning. I was lying warm and dry in my tent, wondering what the course would be like now....my plan was to go all out on the first lap, and try to set a good time, then enjoy the rest of the laps at a more reasonable pace. The course conditions killed that strategy, since I gave it my all and set about the same time as the pre-ride the day before. That goes to show how wet, muddy, difficult and technical the course had become, and I was forced to use some of the east coast skills I forgot I even had. Anyway, props out to Deyv, Squirrel, Doug and Westy for setting fast times in those conditions. It was no simple feat. The course got faster as the hours went on, but my legs got slower, so it was a lost cause. The remainder of my laps were an absolute blast, especially the night laps, and I was having a really good time out on the course, getting muddy for a change, and doing something so different to the same-old out here.

It was great to race with my good friends Squirrel, TreeSaw and Tweek, great to race with my cool brother Echo, great to finally meet Deyv and Isabelle after drooling on their adventures for so long, great to get to know Instigator even better, great to finally meet Stuntmatty and Greasey Monkey, great to meet Westy, and great to meet all of the Monkey/Baboon team. It was also cool that my parents made it out for the weekend. There just wasn't enough time to spend on getting to know everybody, and that's my biggest regret.

Another regret is that we didn't keep a close look at the standings - if I'm reading them right, it looks like if I had been riding instead of drinking beers with Instigator, we may have been able to give Monkey/Baboon a little scare. Anyways, good job everybody, let's get another one going.

Oh, and the best suggestion I heard over the weekend...Monkeyfest West, in BEND!!!

Meanwhile, at least I'll be in Hawaii next week to drown my sorrows and reminisce about a fantastic weekend, all thanks to ridemonkey.com.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
TreeSaw said:
Ditto...for both of you!

Thanks again everyone for an awesome weekend! Next year, I will be more prepared!!!
Thanks for taking such good care of me! It was such a good time. Special thanks goes out to my whole team for making it all possible.

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
ghostrider said:
Thanks for taking such good care of me! It was such a good time. Special thanks goes out to my whole team for making it all possible.

Ghostrider, I would do it again with zero hesitation! We will ride together again.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
ghostrider said:
Another regret is that we didn't keep a close look at the standings - if I'm reading them right, it looks like if I had been riding instead of drinking beers with Instigator, we may have been able to give Monkey/Baboon a little scare. Anyways, good job everybody, let's get another one going.

theres always next year!

anyway, right before I went out for the last lap (we were in 12th), I saw the team in 11th hand there baton in......so I knew all I had to do was complete the lap and we would be ahead of them !

I was going to take a super leisurely lap (I didnt think about the teams in 13th/14th/etc) but I wanted to catch Isa.....it took me 7 1/2 miles to do so(pipe line climb)!!

and come to finf out the team that was in 13th, ended up in 12th only 18 minutes behind us!!