Quantcast

24 hours of flats and mud

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
TreeSaw approaches a water and rock crossing.

Splat pops out of the woods with a college rider hot on his tail.

Keith wraps up a night lap and people look on.

Photog at work! :D

Splat and MMcG pedal up the same incline.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MMcG gearing up for a night ride.

MMcG coming out of the woods, his final lap.

and 29 boy zips on by.

Splat hands off the Keith in the exchange area.

BooYea

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
CT
unfortunately no picture of me falling at the finish line yet. apparently we need to offer up some award to inspire someone to check out there camera digital photo card.

WANTED...my picture

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
They were - that guy was a good climber, but a not so good descender. I would pass him on descents and then he'd claw back and catch me on some of the climbs.

He was in great physical shape and had good lungs and strong legs. He told me he had only been riding for about a year and this was his first ever race. He did well I think.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
They were - that guy was a good climber, but a not so good descender. I would pass him on descents and then he'd claw back and catch me on some of the climbs.

He was in great physical shape and had good lungs and strong legs. He told me he had only been riding for about a year and this was his first ever race. He did well I think.
I was chatting with that guy during the pancake breakfast. He said his toe clips broke off during the race, so he rode flats the rest of the time. He was having a hard time keeping his feet on the pedals because of how slick it was and he really struggled with the climbs because of that. Still, he was doing low-40 lap times. That's pretty damn impressive. This was his 1st 24 hour race and he was loving it.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The Genesis website has a link to this thread. Heh heh...we rock.

I want to see pics that other racers took! There must have been a hundred cameras there.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Yeah Dane, was on flats , a 38 pound Sinster Free ride hard tail , and pulled 32 Minute laps!!

told me he rode an entire lap , with dreadlock boy.

saw him Yesterday , He has sworn off XC racing forever!!
First post on RM, but I just wanted to say great photos of the event. I was pshced to see shots of Graham and Dane, and want to give props to Dane. He took my place in the race (back issues put a major damper on riding this year), and it looks like he did a great job ( probably better than me...). Hopefully next year I will get a chance to be part of the fun (?)...

BooYea

Chimp
Sep 18, 2006
CT
Out of our team, team ramrod. Myself (joe) and one other rider, todd, had clip ins. jake and john, who were both riding the ironhorse Azurs, were on flats the entire race and have never used clips, EVER. Myself, jake, and john are usually freeriders and and dirtjumpers so thats where the flats come from. The Iron horse bikes were actually demo bikes that i borrowed from the local Iron Horse rep. how nice of him was that? I would highly recomend the bikes. I ended up sharing one with john for over half the race because my dad's bike's (the one that i was borrowing) derailler hanger snapped. this is the first year we did the race with padded shorts too. haha i can sit now. non of us even wore jerseys for the fist half. but the mudd on the camel backs was causeing chaffing so jerseys it is

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ok! Here are some of my pics (finally). I didn't want to hog all the photos here so I did up a formal report and added ones of me there too!

I believe this is an IAB to Splat handoff:

Splat's off:

Anxiously awaiting a handoff (Rob in the SMBA Jersey & IAB??)

HOH's Rob heading out:

McGrp01 through the final stream crossing:

IAB attacking the final stream crossing:

Peter enjoying some Harpoon:

Transition tent antics:

IAB & I are spent with Douglas & McGrp01 looking on:

Monkeycamp:

Rob heading back on course & finishing:

MMcG:

Splat taking the checkered flag:

Dane

Chimp
Sep 24, 2006
in reply to- "Yeah Dane, was on flats , a 38 pound Sinster Free ride hard tail , and pulled 32 Minute laps!!
saw him Yesterday , He has sworn off XC racing forever!!"

splat's got it all wrong. Not only did i NOT swear off XC racing, but i'm thinking of building up an XC-friendly rig for exactly that purpose. The only thing I swore off was 24 hr. misery fests on poorly designed death march courses. destroying an entire drivetrain and contracting a severe elbow (swell-bow)infection from the nasty swampass muck that made up the entire track is not really my idea of a good time, but to each their own, right?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
in reply to- "Yeah Dane, was on flats , a 38 pound Sinster Free ride hard tail , and pulled 32 Minute laps!!
saw him Yesterday , He has sworn off XC racing forever!!"

splat's got it all wrong. Not only did i NOT swear off XC racing, but i'm thinking of building up an XC-friendly rig for exactly that purpose. The only thing I swore off was 24 hr. misery fests on poorly designed death march courses. destroying an entire drivetrain and contracting a severe elbow (swell-bow)infection from the nasty swampass muck that made up the entire track is not really my idea of a good time, but to each their own, right?
welcome to the monkey Dane.... I am glad you lived through it!

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
Dane (or anybody else)- they are doing TT's in Whitinsville for the next 3 Weds. if you still have any interest in XC racing......

so is sinister coming out with an XC bike?

Isn't that the new Mustang hardtail, I think they have it up on their site...