Quantcast

24 Hours of Old Pueblo?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My brother is trying to talk me, Mtbkngrl, and Gee Spot into doing the 24 hours of Old Pueblo with him.

Are there any Monkeys who have done this race and could give me info about the course, etc? Is it fun? Technincal? Spinning climbs or technical hell climbs?

I'm thinking if it has relatively smooth climbs and difficult technical descents, we could hold our own with a few months of solid training. Plus it would put me in warm weather right in the middle of February :)

Any comments appreciated - Thanks!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Echo
My brother is trying to talk me, Mtbkngrl, and Gee Spot into doing the 24 hours of Old Pueblo with him.

Are there any Monkeys who have done this race and could give me info about the course, etc? Is it fun? Technincal? Spinning climbs or technical hell climbs?

I'm thinking if it has relatively smooth climbs and difficult technical descents, we could hold our own with a few months of solid training. Plus it would put me in warm weather right in the middle of February :)

Any comments appreciated - Thanks!
where is it?

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
well from what i understand that area is a lot like my area in temperature patterns. It should be light biking clothes during the day maybe just regular shorts and jersey with arm warmers and during the night it should get cold though. Pray for dry weather. It sounds like fun. I have a regular series race that weekend but it's almost in Az hummmmmmm.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Yep, I did it two years ago.

It rained two days before the race and was pretty chilly at night. It's kind of out in the middle of nowhere, the desert. The course was a mixture of singletrack through cacti gardens and desert vegetation, a couple sandy spots, and some long fireroad climbs. There is only one true DH, not too technical for the most part.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
There were a bunch of big hills - I think 7 of them, that were pretty steep. So steep that you could fly down the back of one and make it about half way up the next and then you'd have to pedal, pedal, pedal and try to make it to the top of the next. Repeat this seven times and be careful.

The course is pretty hard to find if you are new, meaning, it would be hard to go pre-ride it on your own.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by Echo
So overall do you think this would be a good first 24 hour race?
Yep, it was my first 24 Hour race. It isn't HUGE like some of the events, it has a smaller crowd because it's relatively new so it's more "intimate". I had a really good time. I was thinking of doing it solo some year.