Quantcast

24 hours of Pats Peak (long report w/pics)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
The plan was for us (Wiley, Matty, Rich & me)to enter the 4 man expert category and for Heather to enter solo female, and for us to support Heather when we were not doing a lap. But there was no other females doing the solo thing so we switched to 5 person coed open. There was only 4 other teams in that category due to a small turnout.

Prerode the course Friday then did the Hotel thing Friday night. The course was short @ 4.5 miles but had 2 big climbs totaling 780 vertical feet. It was a mix of singletrack and ski slopes, with a couple tricky muddy spots and a bumpy pretty long singletrack fun dh section

We found a primo spot Sat. morning, 15 feet away from the course, about 1/5 mile before the start/finish.

Lap times were going to be fast, and we thought we would switch do doing doubles after we each did one. Wiley had a great 1st lap, he was the 1st rider in. Several of the racers were going off course, some ending up making their laps shorter. Our #2 man also got lost but he wasted 10 minutes and found his mistake to make sure he did the whole course. Officials were notified and course was fixed/marked better. I was in the # 3 spot, I had a good lap but it was so damn hot/humid - not as hot as Dalton but definitely more humid. I passed a few people and ended up with a 33 minute lap.

As the laps passed on we found ourselves in 2nd, maybe 20 minutes behind 1st. Matty (who is only 15) destroyed his derailleur 1/2 way thru one of his lap, he coasted down the fire road to camp, we fixed his bike and he then had a maybe 450 ft climb to get back to where he went off course. Then during one of my night laps, also about 1/2 way thru I found a racer stopped with both of his lights out, I slowed my pace and told him to follow me, he kept telling me to go, but I kept telling him hang on my wheel - it actually was nice to have someone to talk to, he was a roadie racing in the duo cat (they won it), and he was super appreciative of me helping him out. But both hurt our efforts to catch up to the team in the lead.

We kept churning away the laps, then the short rests & high humidity got to me, on my 6th lap I was cracked, total bonkage, ended up walking part of the big climb. After my lap was finally done, I felt really sick-but my teammates stepped up, one did a double to fill in for me and give me some more time to recoup.

We realized we couldn't catch 1st, and 3rd wasn't going to catch us...I finally felt good enough to go back out, and when I came past our camp site - the team told me to stop, I found some shade & cold water and tried to cool off, then went & took a shower and put my rm jersey on before I went out to finish my lap. Then Rich headed out for our last lap, and also ended up stopping before the finish, waited 30 mins or so until it was 12:00 and finished our 38th lap, which secured 2nd place.

They didn't officially announce it but from checking ourselves & word of mouth we had the fastest lap (Rich @ 27 min), fastest female lap (Heather @ 33 min) and fastest night lap (Wiley @ 28min), and youngest racer (Matty @ 15 years old). The best I could do was a 32 minute lap

Pats Peak is a real nice place, two clean & updated lodges, one w/ac that was was so nice to be in after my bonakge lap, 3 bike wash stations, showers w/hot water, and everyone that had a burger there agreed it was the best burger they every had - next year they plan to add a 8 hour cat, a DS race and more of a festival atmosphere. They asked for suggestions and mine will be a longer course.

oh, our team was: Team Scribble scribble scribble yada yada yada blah blah blah

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
almost there

lap 1, Wiley 1st thru (guy in the back got lost/cut the course so he stopped and waited/finished his lap slowly)

Wiley

camp1

camp2

lodge

tick tock

Matty

Heather hitting the finish

Heather looking good after another fast lap / Matty starting his

Matty coming by camp

Wiley doing his famous out of control wheelie while coming by camp

Heather's so fast her pics are blurry

me at night (oops no flash)

taking a break during my last lap

might as well finish my last lap in RM jersey wheelie style

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
MMcG said:
How did the Hollowpoint perform? Do you wish you had it for Dalton?

Looks good in white!!!

it's not race bike light but it performed great be it climbing, tech. single track or rough DH / I had no problems at all / I just washed it after each lap & threw on some chain lube ...and yes I wish I had it for Dalton

J

JRB

edit - I guess I ain't so smart, and Epics aren't as stiff as I thought.

*race looked fun.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Polandspring88 said:
That looks like a lot of fun. Congrats on the 2nd place finish. Wish I had an appropriate bike that I could compete in something like that on.

thanks/ what do you ride?

ps: nice avatar :thumb:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
douglas said:
thanks/ what do you ride?

ps: nice avatar :thumb:
Right now all I have is a bullit with a monster. In the works is a steelhead with a flick for um, my trail bike. Working on a tight budget, but hey, I will make do.

Thanks for the avatar idea. If I can't take a joke, then fvck me.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
Congrats Doug!! Looks like you guys had a blast! :thumb:

Heather is so hot!

We all did have a blast, lots of jokes / picking on each other....I think the best part of doing team 24's is the socializing - it was cool to be able to take the plaines truck/trailer so we could all ride out & back together.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
douglas said:
We all did have a blast, lots of jokes / picking on each other....I think the best part of doing team 24's is the socializing - it was cool to be able to take the plaines truck/trailer so we could all ride out & back together.
I agree 100%. You going to have legs for this weekend?

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
McGRP01 said:
I agree 100%. You going to have legs for this weekend?

hell yeah...legs feel fine, butt is barely sore........but I still feel lingering effects from the humidity & still working on rehydrating

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I Are Baboon said:
Nice writeup, DD! Excellent work grabbing that podium spot. :) So was the low turnout lower than Dalton?

thanks

way lower than dalton.......... there was definitely less than 100 people racing

its weird, I wonder why some races so popular they are over crowded or reg fills up (24 hours of old pueblo, 24 burn, VT 50) and others are down 25 % or so from last year??

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I think there was only a total of 67 riders. After the 12 hour stuff ended there were only 17 riders on the course at a time assuming all the solos were riding. I did a double night lap and all saw 3 people the whole time and that was at the very end of my second lap.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mogulskr said:
I think there was only a total of 67 riders. After the 12 hour stuff ended there were only 17 riders on the course at a time assuming all the solos were riding. I did a double night lap and all saw 3 people the whole time and that was at the very end of my second lap.

on my laps I saw 2-5 riders

Goddy43

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
TreeSaw said:
Awesome work Doug!!! :thumb: So, did Wiley get a new bike or was that a loaner I was a little surprised not to see him on Heather's pink epic ;)
I talked to him at Dalton and he said the had the new cannondale on order and the stumpjumper was close to sold.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
dang, I ALMOST forgot one of my favorite spots on the trail!!!

About 1/2 mile before the finish the course went in front of this house w/ a big deck...they set up a small jump and a small tettertotter (each marked with signs, somethinlike "the jump of death") and there almost always was someone on the deck cheering you on, and really cheering you on if you hit either stunt (which I did 5 out 7 times)

splat

Nam I am
Doug , Congrats

I really wanted to be there! I was thinking about you as I lay in my hospital Bed over this past weeknd

I'm at least glad I got to pre-ride it.

douglas said:
dang, I ALMOST forgot one of my favorite spots on the trail!!!

About 1/2 mile before the finish the course went in front of this house w/ a big deck...they set up a small jump and a small tettertotter (each marked with signs, somethinlike "the jump of death") and there almost always was someone on the deck cheering you on, and really cheering you on if you hit either stunt (which I did 5 out 7 times)
When I pre rode the cousres I thought it was strange going through that yard , and they told there was going to be some fun stuff there.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
splat said:
Doug , Congrats

I really wanted to be there! I was thinking about you as I lay in my hospital Bed over this past weeknd

I'm at least glad I got to pre-ride it.

When I pre rode the cousres I thought it was strange going through that yard , and they told there was going to be some fun stuff there.

I was bummed you couldnt make it....but theres always next year

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I was just looking at those.........that spot is at the end of the lap, after suffering from from humidity and all of the climbs

check out how serious heather looks

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0847000N000055&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0847000N010020&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

here's one of Matty.......he copied me by doing a few shirtless laps

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0847000N000050&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

a suffering mudhunnie who does some of the wednesday Dalton races
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0847000N000043&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
Maybe she was...her, Wiley & Rich wanted to quit at midnight and go back the Holiday Inn Express, but Matty & me said we were not quitting, and if need be the 2 of us would just keeping riding by ourselves (but thank god we didnt have to!)