Quantcast

24 Hours of Snowshoe course

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Just a quick update on the condition of the Snowshoe course.

I did the race in '01, and decided not to go back in '02 cause the course sucked, as did about 100 teams. Well, I'm gonna wrench for a vet team in '03 (if they hold the race) and decided to go up and ride with them earlier in the month.

The course is in much better shape than it was in '01. The trail along the Trout Stream, remember how screwed up that was? Only about 1/4 of it was in the same condition, the rest has had aggregate added to it and we were FLYING along the creek this time. Same for the rest of the trail. I remember walking/running about 70% of the time on '01. I rode about 75-80% of the course this trip, and we FLEW on most of it, espically IMBAlicious. Granted, the nasty technical stuff is still nasty and technical, but at least more of the course is ridable this year.

All in all, the course is much better than what I remembered in '01. Hope to see some of y'all up there this year.

Jebadiah

Chimp
Mar 22, 2002
Dayton, OH
I have done the race for several years including 02. The aggregrate really looked good and the course was fast, on Thursday before the race, however after much rain Friday and many riders starting Saturday, it was not much better than 01 for the rest of the race. I was our 4th rider and by the time I went through it was back to hiking. I am sure they have added more since then and it is a cumulative effect so it may be getting better as time goes on. Also the great showers that we had in 01 were replaced by a 6 stall semi-open affair. I will be looking forward to seeing how many teams sign up this year. Even given the conditions of late I will still be there. I believe Laird is trying to fix the problems and we all owe a great deal to him as the one who really got 24 hour racing started. 02 would have been really nice without the 10 hours of rain on Friday. And yes my tent was rather flooded!
Jim B.- Dayton MTB Racing

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
I absolutely agree, and the course would have been a lot better had we not had all the rain on Friday night before the '02 race. It is a challenging course and definately a right of passage.

However, with that said, I have elected to ride my bike more this year and head to Dalton for the 24 hours of Adrenaline race on the same weekend. Hopefully it will provide for more fun and less hiking.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Chris01
I absolutely agree, and the course would have been a lot better had we not had all the rain on Friday night before the '02 race. It is a challenging course and definately a right of passage.

However, with that said, I have elected to ride my bike more this year and head to Dalton for the 24 hours of Adrenaline race on the same weekend. Hopefully it will provide for more fun and less hiking.
Dalton, Georgia?