Quantcast

24 Hours/Pueblo and stuff....

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Hello All--

What better word to discribe the weekend than WWOOWW!!!!!

First off, if this comes across as egotistical or shameless plugging, please understand the message I'm trying to give.

Most of you know the "why" of my riding this weekend. For those not "in the loop", it was to honor the life of our 4-year-old daughter, Alaina, who went to Heaven 3 years ago this month. To the riders and spectators that made the "your missing/lost your passenger/child/baby", well, techanically, you are right. However, since Alaina is in Heaven now, she will always be riding with me. That is why you saw her seat on for my first and last laps. I think I even rode faster with her little angel legs pedalling along, too.

To the 2 riders I helped (Liam and the rubber chicken/prison garb rider), I want you to know that one of the many things I always tried to teach Alaina was random acts of kindness. Yes, Todd did make the announcement that we all needed to help each other out, if possible, while on the course. I just hope you two know that Alaina was the one actually helping. If you think about it, "pay it forward".

To all of you that enjoyed the cake, thank you for celebrating Alaina's life with us. To those that donated, THANK YOU just doesn't seem to be enough. If anyone still feels like donating, I can be contacted at mantispf2000@yahoo.com. As I mentioned before, even lose change all adds up, and it'll help Compassionate Friends and the pre-school library program Alaina attended.

To finally be able to meet Ghostrider, Echo, Douglas, and Westy, you guys are all too, damn, I can't say this without crying right now. Your support through all this time has been so helpful. Ghost, please let Ariel know that her hug meant the world to me. I know I said we'd have a beer after, yet please understand that with dad, brothers, and god-father there, once the cake was done, it was time to leave to get ready for my uncle's service today. Will a "cyber beer" sharing do for now?

That being said, Todd, you put on one heck of a venue. Until we all meet on the sweet single track in the sky!!

Shawn
Alaina's daddy

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
Well, Treesaw, I made all my goals except for one, which was fewer laps completed than expected. I rode further than 24/Tahoe, had better "actual riding" lap-time averages (well, except for that 12-hour one due to too much chatting with family at campsite, which to me was priceless in itself), honored Alaina's Heaven date by completing 6 laps (Feb. 4 = 6, and 90+ miles = 2+4+3), showed a couple random acts of kindness on the trail as I tried to teach Alaina, and placed 45/72. I know, that last one isn't such a big deal, yet it's better than DNF'ng. I haven't counted the donations yet, so I have no reply there.

I truly feel I owe you all a lot. It would be so easy to give up, yet it's amazing how powerful the words, "you can do it" can be. What's next? Maybe volunteering at an event such as Mammoth instead of riding. After all, couldn't that be considered a random act?

Beer's to all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shawn
Alaina's daddy