Quantcast

24 Hr Single Speed Only Race?????

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I have an idea for a 24 Hr Race for Single Speeders only. I am trying to get an idea of what kind of turnout I could get. I have what I think is the perfect place, Pack Forest which is about an hour outside of Seattle at the foot of Mt Rainier. It is actually the University of Washington experimental forest and it has a lodge and cabins and dining facility. The trails would be perfect for single speeds. If this happens, it would be 2007 summer in July.

Waddya think????

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Well personally, I dislike singlespeed only stuff. I don't ride a singlespeed so that I can have my own races and/or race classes. I ride singlespeed because it is the type of bike that I like and think is best, and I want to ride it/race it against other people who have chosen whatever bike they think is best, which most of the time means gears. So if I'm trying to pick which one of multiple events I am going to attend, I'll likely pick the one where singlespeeds are not given a special classification.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I agree with Fubar. I love my SS, and I love riding it with other SSers, but I don't like all the categories that have been sprawling up over the years. If you want to have a 24 hour race, have one, but making it SS only will keep a lot of people away.

Now if you would be interested in hosting the 2007 SS World Championships. Get your butt to Sweden and win the drunken race after the awards ceremony and bring the SSWC back to the states for next year. It sounds like you may have a good (beautiful) place for it.

Besides that, I'm tentatively planning on moving out there next year and would love to be able to do both events. I'd even help plan them if need be.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Yes, i think excluding the masses would not be conducive to a successful event. I have a buddy who wants to do a single speed fesitval, which made me think of this idea. And the area I am thinking of would be too easy (IMO) for gears. I don't ride SS but want to. But I think that a perfect SS course would not be the same perfect course for gears?

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The biggest complaint I heard about SSWC05 was that it was too "NORBA" - corporate sponsors, online pre-registration, etc. killed the event, according to some. I had a hoot, but it seems that the SS races that get the highest praise are grassroots-type events. ECNASSCU (that's East Coast North America Single Speed Championships of the Universe) was very well attended the years they held it.

Long story, short, I think if you throw an SS-only race, you might be disappointed. If you host an SS event or festival that includes a race, it could fly.