Quantcast

24 hrs of snowshoe

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
is anyone interested in doing the 2003 24 hours of snowshoe in june in west virginia? NRSracer and i need to get a few people together for a team and i just wanted to see if any :monkey: 's were interested in going.

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally posted by zzyxzz
Are you looking to put a team together? What sort of skill level/lap times are you looking for?

Got any details on the event?
Yes we were looking to put a team together. NRSracer and I will be in the sport class (under 18 or 15-17 division or something). Ask NRSracer for details about lap times and such. I will post the details as I find out.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
Yes we were looking to put a team together. NRSracer and I will be in the sport class (under 18 or 15-17 division or something). Ask NRSracer for details about lap times and such. I will post the details as I find out.
Here's some results from last year for men's junior. it's only one team, but it was the winning team.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
24 hours :) how long do you think it takes to drive to west virigia? One of my mums best friend lives somewere in virginia so matbe she'll take me. I wanna do a 24 hour race or 2 this summer. Your link shows the date for the 2002 event i'm assuming you guys are talking about the 2003 event. If i race with guys we'd be garrenteed to win :D. There's a preety good chance that i could do it if there isn't any racing i'm doing here like canada cup or raids that might be at that time.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by JMAC
24 hours :) how long do you think it takes to drive to west virigia? One of my mums best friend lives somewere in virginia so matbe she'll take me. I wanna do a 24 hour race or 2 this summer. Your link shows the date for the 2002 event i'm assuming you guys are talking about the 2003 event. If i race with guys we'd be garrenteed to win :D. There's a preety good chance that i could do it if there isn't any racing i'm doing here like canada cup or raids that might be at that time.
yup 2003.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I don't know it's either race a 24 at snowshoe or do the world cup at Mt St-Anne which i think they're having a Quebec cup at the same time there. Are you guys good and want to win or are you just doing for fun?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I don't know it's either race a 24 at snowshoe or do the world cup at Mt St-Anne which i think they're having a Quebec cup at the same time there. Are you guys good and want to win or are you just doing for fun?
i got third overall in my category, missed second by one point cuz of those damned pinch flats (got tubeless now.)

BigPapa 1080 is pretty good too, just needs to train rather than sit on his ass:D (hint hint) so far, it's just the 2 of us.

how'd you do racing, and what stuff's on ur bike now?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Bromont is near me it's big hill with amasing DH trails i've heard of Americans who drive 6 hours just to ride there on the week-end. They have the World Masters Championship every year at Bromont. After last years 24 hours the trails were really easy except for a super hard tech spot that some people got taking away on strechers.

IT's about a 12 hour drive from here to snowshoe.

Um i'm not racing now quess it's friggen cold and there's no races at this time of year. :mad: But i'm at the Gym 6 days a weeks and i train on average 12 hours a week.
My first race in the spring will hopefully be the Sea Otter Classic than i'll do some road races with my new Giant TCR 2 which is the sexiest bike. But it hasn't arrived yet.:( Until May when i'll start MTB with the first Canada Cup at Bromont.
Than i'll do about 3 more Canada cups.
I'm doing the Quebec Cups series.
I'm also doing the raid hors-senteir which is a 200km 2day mt race, the raid subaru outback 55km, the raid peirre harvey 65km i think, the raid trans-gaspesien not sure how long it's 2 days proble 200+km.
I'll also be doing a series of mt races not sure which one that will be on week days just to collect some more medals;)
Also i'm doing a road racing series which is every Tuesday night.

I wanted to do some Triathlon races but i don't have any time to do any more races i'm already pushing it with this many.

My c-dale will have nothing stock on it except for the frame and lefty. I've got UST wheels, and a long list of other good stuff. I also ordered a tru-vativ stylo team sl cranks, Gigapipe team sl BB, sram 9.0sl der and shifters, xt cassets,pc 99 chain, and some other stuff i can't think of that i had sent to a friend of my dads house which he'll pick up the stuff in Feb.

Ow ya and racing this year i never really completed a series rather i did lots of different races which i got 2nds and 3rds i always do super good in really long endurance races always winning or very close.

I'm hoping to finish top 3 in Quebec which would be really good cause the 2 guys i don't think i can beat are like as good as roland Green and ryder hesjedal were when they were racing Canada Cups at this age. I'd like to finish top 10 in Canada that would make me happy.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Bromont is near me it's big hill with amasing DH trails i've heard of Americans who drive 6 hours just to ride there on the week-end. They have the World Masters Championship every year at Bromont. After last years 24 hours the trails were really easy except for a super hard tech spot that some people got taking away on strechers.

IT's about a 12 hour drive from here to snowshoe.

Um i'm not racing now quess it's friggen cold and there's no races at this time of year. :mad: But i'm at the Gym 6 days a weeks and i train on average 12 hours a week.
My first race in the spring will hopefully be the Sea Otter Classic than i'll do some road races with my new Giant TCR 2 which is the sexiest bike. But it hasn't arrived yet.:( Until May when i'll start MTB with the first Canada Cup at Bromont.
Than i'll do about 3 more Canada cups.
I'm doing the Quebec Cups series.
I'm also doing the raid hors-senteir which is a 200km 2day mt race, the raid subaru outback 55km, the raid peirre harvey 65km i think, the raid trans-gaspesien not sure how long it's 2 days proble 200+km.
I'll also be doing a series of mt races not sure which one that will be on week days just to collect some more medals;)
Also i'm doing a road racing series which is every Tuesday night.

I wanted to do some Triathlon races but i don't have any time to do any more races i'm already pushing it with this many.

My c-dale will have nothing stock on it except for the frame and lefty. I've got UST wheels, and a long list of other good stuff. I also ordered a tru-vativ stylo team sl cranks, Gigapipe team sl BB, sram 9.0sl der and shifters, xt cassets,pc 99 chain, and some other stuff i can't think of that i had sent to a friend of my dads house which he'll pick up the stuff in Feb.

Ow ya and racing this year i never really completed a series rather i did lots of different races which i got 2nds and 3rds i always do super good in really long endurance races always winning or very close.

I'm hoping to finish top 3 in Quebec which would be really good cause the 2 guys i don't think i can beat are like as good as roland Green and ryder hesjedal were when they were racing Canada Cups at this age. I'd like to finish top 10 in Canada that would make me happy.
wow.

you are officially approved if you wanna come

here's me:
AMBS races:

3rd overall
4th maryland sub-series
3rd virginia sub-series
other:
14th (i crashed bad 2 times, damn near broke an elbow)

tentative bike for nest year:
NRSframe
Crossroc wheels
Drivetrain:
cassette:XT
Rear der.:XTR
Front der.:XT
crankset/bb:xt splined
pedals: crank bros eggbeaters
seat: koski
seatpost:titec alu
bar/stem:titec
brakes:avid mech
fork: judy c

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Big_Papa1080
im thinking about a new front and rear der. probably an LX front and an XT or LX rear and some avid SD 7 rim brakes.
i would go w/XT rear, its better quality and not much more expensive.

plus ill install it for you for food.

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
I'm interested. I'm 15, and only live about 3 hours from snowshoe. Although, my racing history(and my bike) aren't quite on par with the others in the thread. I've only been to 2 grassroots races here in virginia. the first race was a learning experience in the beginner class.. i learned to bring more water, and i got 6th. the second race i entered junior sport, and got 2nd by 28 seconds. I'm running indoor and outdoor track, and i'll be racing in every race i can get to this summer. oh, and my bike:

frame:giant se2
fork: Manitou sx-r
wheelset: OEM hubs on wtb speed disk
rear mech: XT
brakes:OEM formula disks
everything else:upgraded to thompson, XT, easton, etc.

let me know if your interested :rolleyes:

heh, first post..

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Gyro
I'm interested. I'm 15, and only live about 3 hours from snowshoe. Although, my racing history(and my bike) aren't quite on par with the others in the thread. I've only been to 2 grassroots races here in virginia. the first race was a learning experience in the beginner class.. i learned to bring more water, and i got 6th. the second race i entered junior sport, and got 2nd by 28 seconds. I'm running indoor and outdoor track, and i'll be racing in every race i can get to this summer. oh, and my bike:

frame:giant se2
fork: Manitou sx-r
wheelset: OEM hubs on wtb speed disk
rear mech: XT
brakes:OEM formula disks
everything else:upgraded to thompson, XT, easton, etc.

let me know if your interested :rolleyes:

heh, first post..
Second in sport sounds up to par to me.

guess we have a four person team now.
that is if JMAC is in.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by NRSracer
wow.

you are officially approved if you wanna come

here's me:
AMBS races:

3rd overall
4th maryland sub-series
3rd virginia sub-series
other:
14th (i crashed bad 2 times, damn near broke an elbow)

tentative bike for next year:
NRSframe
Crossroc wheels
Drivetrain:
cassette:XT
Rear der.:XTR
Front der.:XT
crankset/bb:xt splined
pedals: crank bros eggbeaters
seat: koski
seatpost:titec alu
bar/stem:titec
brakes:avid mech
fork: judy c
with the christmas presents i just got, i can confirm this setup :) :D

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Ok. Count me in. But, june is a long time from now, something i'm not able to cancel may come up..:angry: :(
allright, PM me ur email and ill email you when i get registration info.

BTW, what series do you race?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I still wanna do it i just need some good lights for the night.
I guess i'll probly do it over the world cup. Since i wanna meet more monkeys and i like long races.

What lights are you guys doing.?

Also you guys should come up here and do the Hors senteir raid.
I haven't done it yet but deyv done it a few times. It's 180km over 2 days all mt. biking you go from st-donat to mt-tremblant. It's going to be crasy last year 20 ppl were taking to hospital for savire hypothermia. it's also in June

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I still wanna do it i just need some good lights for the night.
I guess i'll probly do it over the world cup. Since i wanna meet more monkeys and i like long races.

What lights are you guys doing.?

Also you guys should come up here and do the Hors senteir raid.
I haven't done it yet but deyv done it a few times. It's 180km over 2 days all mt. biking you go from st-donat to mt-tremblant. It's going to be crasy last year 20 ppl were taking to hospital for savire hypothermia. it's also in June
I forgot all about getting a light.

JUne huh? im outta school and that's in between the race seasons. but how cold are we talkin here?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well it's canada june is usally really nice but 2002 was weird we had all kinds of fvcked up weather. The reason so many ppl got hypothermia was cause they all thought is was going to be warm but it ended up raining and was really cold so everyone got really cold really fast.

My parents say they won't drive me to virgina but they'll get me tickets for a plane instead which is way better. I'd need to be picked up somewere to get all the way to snowshoe though.

Ya lights are really expensive to any good ones at least. If we have 4 ppl it's like a relay right. Like person 1 does a lap than the other 3 each do lap till the first guy goes again. Is this how it works?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Cool i can almost certainly come i'll either fly or drive. Now we just need lights.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
i know its an 8-9 hour drive from toronto to snowshoe, if thats helpful.

TO ALL: i'd be interested in getting on a beginner/intermediate team with riders 21-40 (I am 28).

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya my parents have driving to Dc before and they say it will be about 12 hours from were we are.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
NICE but you need a new fork:p
Now i should have a Sid Team '03 on monday. too bad i have to take it to the bike shop to get it put in because i don't have the tools.:(

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I raced in the east coasters series. It's web site is at http://www.bikeva.com.

So, about lights. I've heard that a spot light on your head and a flood setup on your bars is the best. Can anyone confirm this?

btw- NRSracer, nice fork:p
ive heard of that but never actually been to one of their races.

As for the lights, i have no idea, this is my first race too. i think Granny Gear said you have to have a 10w minimum primary source, and a secondary source(i.e. flashlight.) dont really remember. Here's their website: www.Grannygear.com

yup, bout time i brought my fork weight under 4 pounds. actually this is 2.8 pounds. But now im outta money :(

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
They say you need both the head and bar lights because with the head light you can look ahead before you turn your bike like on switchback. But headlights make the trail look flat and removes depth perseption.
So you also need a bar mounted light to give the depth. anyways it's hella lotta money to get both.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
it's hella lotta money to get both.
i just blew my last 400 on a fork. guess im waitin till later to get a light.

o, and my dad can be team mechanic if we need one, we both took a bike repair course, and i have some bike tools ( BB tool, cassette tool, etc) and a stand. We also have an extra bike if we need it.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by NRSracer
i just blew my last 400 on a fork. guess im waitin till later to get a light.

o, and my dad can be team mechanic if we need one, we both took a bike repair course, and i have some bike tools ( BB tool, cassette tool, etc) and a stand. We also have an extra bike if we need it.
Thats cool but we're going to have like 3 hours bettween laps so their will be plenty of time to fix stuff.
And make your own lights thats what i think i'm going to do cause you can make lights that are just as good for **** load less.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Thats cool but we're going to have like 3 hours bettween laps so their will be plenty of time to fix stuff.
And make your own lights thats what i think i'm going to do cause you can make lights that are just as good for **** load less.
I think i might, i dunno.

Big_papa1080 said he wasn't gonna do it, but i think i can find somedody else.