Quantcast

24 hrs of snowshoe

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
Yeah, i train with him to.. he's fast. faster than me. He's only been to one real race though, and he got second in junior expert. The thing was, there were only two people in junior expert that day, and he came in second by about 2 hours. But, part of that was he got 2 flat tires and 2 broken chains. The guy who he lost to was on the winning 24 hour team last year.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Gyro
he got 2 flat tires and 2 broken chains. The guy who he lost to was on the winning 24 hour team last year.
that sucks. i double flatted one time, got dead last, cept for the dqed people. Both were pinch flats though, that's the main reason i went tubeless.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
So bigpapa not going to do it well that sucks. How old are you Gyro and nrs how old are you?

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ok just making sure you guys weren't 17 or something i'm 15 now but i'll be 16 by the time that race is.

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Originally posted by NRSracer

As for the lights, i have no idea, this is my first race too. i think Granny Gear said you have to have a 10w minimum primary source, and a secondary source(i.e. flashlight.) dont really remember.

Most of these races require that you have a minimum 10w system either on your bar or helmet, then a secondary unit...could be a battery opperated headlight or a mini-Mag light...you get the idea.

Personally I ran Niterider Blowtorch(bar mount) and a Niterider Digital Headtrip(Helmet mount) at the 24hr at Idyllwild last year. Found that except for the tight singletrack, I did not use the helmet light.

Best thing to do is find out which lighthing company is providing race supprot at the venue. Then either buy a set of thier lights, or some will even rent you a set of lights for a nominal fee. NitePro was the race support at Idyllwild and they were renting bar and helmet systems for $90 a pair. Plus they were providing charging stations.

mtnbikej

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Hey nrs i emailed the guy at bikeclub the guy who shows how to make homemade lights and he gave me an awsome link

http://www.bydusa.com/product.asp?3=169

If you click the link the 2 baterys that are there are worth like 150$ because they're 4Ah which is what would be in a lighting system from either niterider or jetlites. You combine the 2 packs and you have a 12V 4Ah pack which i think niterider is selling for about 150 so you can like 3 pairs of those and you'd could have your lights on max through the whole night.

Also i think a handlebar lights is all you'd really need because we would have done a few laps each before dark so you remember all the turns and whats around them.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by JMAC
Hey nrs i emailed the guy at bikeclub the guy who shows how to make homemade lights and he gave me an awsome link

http://www.bydusa.com/product.asp?3=169

If you click the link the 2 baterys that are there are worth like 150$ because they're 4Ah which is what would be in a lighting system from either niterider or jetlites. You combine the 2 packs and you have a 12V 4Ah pack which i think niterider is selling for about 150 so you can like 3 pairs of those and you'd could have your lights on max through the whole night.

Also i think a handlebar lights is all you'd really need because we would have done a few laps each before dark so you remember all the turns and whats around them.
sweet, that'll work with bike lights?

mtnbikej

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
So. CAL.
Not necessarily.....by that time you have already done a few laps and are beginning to get tired. You start to forget about things that were there during earlier daytime laps. Especially if it is a ride that you do not do on a regular basis.

mtnbikej

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Ya thats true i've done some really long races and by the end you're so tired you can hardly remember how to ride your bike let along remember the turns in a trail. :p

Also Turbocatusa.com seem to have some really nice lamps.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Hey, how are you gettin fromthe airport to the race? did you find a ride yet or are you still lookin? We can probably pick you up btw.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Good question my mom says she'll drive me but if she doesn't than i'd fly it's unlikely that i'll have to fly but if i do i'll need a lift or i can always bike. :D Or maybe they have buses and stuff.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Good question my mom says she'll drive me but if she doesn't than i'd fly it's unlikely that i'll have to fly but if i do i'll need a lift or i can always bike. :D Or maybe they have buses and stuff.
That sounds better than flying. I'd rather FedEx my bike somewhere than give it to the people at the airport.:D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by NRSracer
That sounds better than flying. I'd rather FedEx my bike somewhere than give it to the people at the airport.:D
Seriously!

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Can i do the start? Cause i'm good at running and you have to run so.
Also what are condition like there at that time of year whats a good UST tire for that race.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Can i do the start? Cause i'm good at running and you have to run so.
Also what are condition like there at that time of year whats a good UST tire for that race.
sure ;)
it's usually hot and pretty dry in this region cuz we've had a friggin drought the last 5 years. dunno for the tires. I'll probably either be running mosquitos or scorpions.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Well if it's hot and dry I don't have to worry about bringing cooled weather cloths and wouldn't pythons be best.?
Do you know if it's a very techy trail or just smooth.
I should be really ready for this race cause i'm doing the raid hors-sentier 2 weeks before which is like riding nonstop for 5-8 hours a day for 2 days.
Do we have a 4th person yet?
And what do we get if we win or get second?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Well if it's hot and dry I don't have to worry about bringing cooled weather cloths and wouldn't pythons be best.?
Do you know if it's a very techy trail or just smooth.
I should be really ready for this race cause i'm doing the raid hors-sentier 2 weeks before which is like riding nonstop for 5-8 hours a day for 2 days.
Do we have a 4th person yet?
And what do we get if we win or get second?
1) Personnaly, i hate pythons, i like the mosquitos better, but i dunno.
2) i hear technical
3) i dunno, didn't Gyro say he knew someone, if not, i think i can get someone that is fast too.
4) ill look.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
That looks like it's going to be a really cool race.
What are we going to call our team and who's sponsering us?
Have you dicided on lights?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
That looks like it's going to be a really cool race.
What are we going to call our team and who's sponsering us?
Have you dicided on lights?
dunno
dunno, can ur bike shop sponsor us:D
probably marwi and those cheap batteries

Gyro

Chimp
Mar 4, 2002
Slatyfork, WV
For the forth person.. looks like i can't help. The guy i was thinking of wants to start his own 5-person open team.

I'm going to experement with building my own lights for awhile, but i'll probably end up buying marwi.

I'm really looking forward to this race. As far as what kind of course, it's pretty natorious for having a huge rain storm a few days before the race, making the course unridable and half hike-a-bike. I'm going to try to get there in the late-spring, early-summer. I would bring two sets of tires- one for dry, one for wet.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by Gyro
For the forth person.. looks like i can't help. The guy i was thinking of wants to start his own 5-person open team.

I'm going to experement with building my own lights for awhile, but i'll probably end up buying marwi.

I'm really looking forward to this race. As far as what kind of course, it's pretty natorious for having a huge rain storm a few days before the race, making the course unridable and half hike-a-bike. I'm going to try to get there in the late-spring, early-summer. I would bring two sets of tires- one for dry, one for wet.
i think i can get another person.

I think i might have to use non-ust tires for one of the sets because they're so expensiv

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I hope you guys can find another guy cause anybody i know is to lasy to do a long race they all like the short little races.
Marwi lights deffinently seem the best for the price they get amasing reveiws for the elite helmet light and it only costs 100$
I think i'll bring another set of UST tires they aren't that expensive they cost me about 90-100$ for any kind of UST but if i buy 2 of the same i only pay 150$ for the 2 and thats canadian.:D
My bike shop might be able to sponser us i'll bug him about it but either way the new jerseys he's having made are only going to cost 30$ candian because all the sponseres are paying so if you want i can get 4 of them so we all look the same and you guys give me the money which would be like 20 $ USD. It's anice jersey it's blue and it's sponsered by Mazada 220, Pysio Sport,
Giant Bicycles, Christina Swimware, and some other stuff.

I don't think he'll give us much stuff maybe a supply of Cliff bars and shots

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
I hope you guys can find another guy cause anybody i know is to lasy to do a long race they all like the short little races.
Marwi lights deffinently seem the best for the price they get amasing reveiws for the elite helmet light and it only costs 100$
I think i'll bring another set of UST tires they aren't that expensive they cost me about 90-100$ for any kind of UST but if i buy 2 of the same i only pay 150$ for the 2 and thats canadian.:D
My bike shop might be able to sponser us i'll bug him about it but either way the new jerseys he's having made are only going to cost 30$ candian because all the sponseres are paying so if you want i can get 4 of them so we all look the same and you guys give me the money which would be like 20 $ USD. It's anice jersey it's blue and it's sponsered by Mazada 220, Pysio Sport,
Giant Bicycles, Christina Swimware, and some other stuff.

I don't think he'll give us much stuff maybe a supply of Cliff bars and shots
i'll email a guy today, then if that doesn't work, i can ask one of the people i race with in march.
i heard that the marwi charge time is 24 hours though, i think it was in the 24 hr race light thread in mtb lounge. The tires i might be able to do if i can keep myself from buying other bike stuff, which ill probly be able to do. 20 bucks for a jersey is an incredible deal, even for a generic one, plus it says giant on it.:D
sweet, i love clif shots.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
It's actually really nice the reason it's so cheap is the sponsers like Giant and Mazda are paying for it so you get it cheap. He's having them made in both the normal and cut off sleeve style.

Jebadiah

Chimp
Mar 22, 2002
Dayton, OH
Those lights do look pretty cool. Anyway, expect rain,mud,roots and rocks for Snowshoe. It is NEVER dry! The total # of teams last year is an indication of the conditions. They have maxed out at 500 for a while until last year and it was under 450. Many of us asked them to consider a venue change but I guess it will be back at Snowshoe. Just be ready for LOTS of mud. I would recommend a good mud shedding tire like Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Tioga Phoenix Red, or even the mud specific tires like the Panaracer Fire Mud. In 2001 a lot of people switched to platform pedals for the race also. You could not find a pair to buy anywhere near the race. I have been taking a pair with me but have not used them yet. Another good trick is Pam cooking spray to keep the mud from collecting on your bike, just don't spray the braking surfaces. Take a look at the large collection of pictures here: http://www.iplayoutside.com/Events/2002/06/4776.html
take care
Jim, Dayton MTB Racing

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Oh man looking at those pics gives me second thoughts i wanna do a 24 hour race but i don't know about west virgina it looks like a shlt hole:(

Jebadiah

Chimp
Mar 22, 2002
Dayton, OH
They don't say its the toughest course east of the Rockies for nothing. It is the biggest 24 HR race also. Just wanted you to have an idea of how tough it is. (but I wouldn't miss it!!) It is still a lot of fun and surely a chalenge.
Jim

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Oh man looking at those pics gives me second thoughts i wanna do a 24 hour race but i don't know about west virgina it looks like a shlt hole:(
whatcya skeered of :D

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Why don't we do a 24 hours in canada it would actualy save us alot on registration because in canada the it's 500$ canadian for the team in west virgina it's 500$ USD which is a huge difference.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Why don't we do a 24 hours in canada it would actualy save us alot on registration because in canada the it's 500$ canadian for the team in west virgina it's 500$ USD which is a huge difference.
where are they, always wanted to ride in canada.
Gyro, can you still come if we change it?