Quantcast

24 inches of love

nwd_26

Monkey
Nov 29, 2007
Toronto, Onterrible
I'm pretty tall and I ride an NS Majesty (26" wheels, 15" stays, 22.5" TT), and I tried out my buddy's Capital recently, and I have to say it felt pretty great to me. My two cents.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I'm pretty tall and I ride an NS Majesty (26" wheels, 15" stays, 22.5" TT), and I tried out my buddy's Capital recently, and I have to say it felt pretty great to me. My two cents.
My Contraband has a 22" TT. The geo is really good. The custom frame I had was 22.5, but the rest was almost identical, so it feels almost the same.

Black Market Contraband
DMR Trailblade II
ODY Twombolts 25T Shadow Sprocket
Deity Fantom Stem
NS District bars
32H Singletrack rims w/Sapim Spokes
WTB Super Duty Front hub
Nashbar Style rear w/ 10T ODY driver
Rhythm Lite Tires
ODY Trailmix Pedals
Avid BB7 Mech brakes
26.5 lbs

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
Right now I have 3 bikes, 20, 24, 26, and all single speeds. My 20 gets the most use by far, and as far as manuals go, they take a long time to dial in so don't be discouraged. Last year I got a WeThePeople Avenue 24 and it's awesome. Definitely the easiest bike to transition from a 20 to. It's very agile, easy to manual, easy to bunnyhop, and dirt jumps very smoothly. My 26 is an Azonic Steelhead that is more of an X-C bike than jumper for me.
If I were to stay with a 24 though, my next frame would probably be a Liquid. I am becoming more and more of a fan of that company and what they are doing.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Yowelli hooked me up with some 1" rise Lowelli bars, so i threw my 65mm 4x back on the Capital. What a fun ride. Sick of seeing all these shiney fancy DSLR pics, how about some phone pics eh?

Last edited:

E86

Chimp
Jul 6, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
What year is your Capital? I just got a 09 model. I was wondering where do you guys order your tyres from? It is hard to find 24" tyres. I am looking for the Odessey Aitken tyres. Thanks for the help in advance.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
What year is your Capital? I just got a 09 model. I was wondering where do you guys order your tyres from? It is hard to find 24" tyres. I am looking for the Odessey Aitken tyres. Thanks for the help in advance.
my capital is a 09
i'm running a old 2.4 Holyroller on the front - just realized how goofy and disproportional that looks :)

i usually order my tires from Danscomp or Chainreactioncycles.

Danscomp stocks, or at least used to stock, 24" KHE Streets, Tiogas fs100s and powerblocks. All fine tires. They now have a new Maxis 24" tire too. I want to try it out.

Chainreaction pretty much stocks any tire you want, but they are in Europe so you might have to hunt the internets for a free shipping coupon. Schwalbes Tabletops are a nice 24" tire.

Last edited:

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I hope to have a Capital in my hands again one day. A mistake that I got rid of it.
which Capital did you have?
my only complaint so far about the frame is the integrated seatpost clamp. u need to muscle it like a beast, to the point of stripping the whole damn thing in order for it to hold - i guess they designed it with people who just slam the damn seat in mind.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I get mine from my local shops. It's pretty slim pickings, it took me a couple of months to get the tires I wanted. One of the shops eventually let me swap out the tires on a stock bike they had on the floor so I could have the Rhythm Lites that came on it. When I had a light frame, I ran Krads, and was pretty happy with them, when I got the heavy frame, the extra weight was bugging me, so I went to lighter tires and am well pleased.

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
I was wondering where do you guys order your tyres from? It is hard to find 24" tyres. I am looking for the Odessey Aitken tyres. Thanks for the help in advance.
schwalbe tt
odyssey
specialized rhythm/rhythm lites
tioga fs 100 or powerblocks
dmr
krads
primo dirt monster 1.85 only
intense micro knobbys skinny only

off the top of my head. dans comp or empire should have the odyssey's avail.

which Capital did you have?
my only complaint so far about the frame is the integrated seatpost clamp. u need to muscle it like a beast, to the point of stripping the whole damn thing in order for it to hold - i guess they designed it with people who just slam the damn seat in mind.
i hate integrated clamps. animal wedge post along with the junk integrated clamp would work. cut that sh1t off, clean up the tube and run a traditional clamp.

E86

Chimp
Jul 6, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
v-digit, did you ever try running a 990 brake instead of the v-brake? it looks like the mounts where the adapter goes might work? I have not had a chence to try it, i hope to find out tomorrow. My buddy is tooling up on the frame. He makes his own frames. He has a 20" already and is working o a 24" and a 26". He basically will take a frame and make changes to it to improve on it. I just noticed that Dans Comp just got the Odessey Aitken's back in stock. Tanks for the suggestions.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
probably been mentioned already . . . but i just noticed NS changed up the Capital. with 110 spacing and u-brakes, it sounds a lot more like a Molly....

NS Capital-2.1 Frame
The 2.1 takes the Capital-2 to a new level in 24" street design with 110mm rear axle spacing, a super low integrated pivotal saddle mount, modified seatstays and a removeable U-brake mount
Based on the lightweight, premium Majesty 4130 CrMo butted steel frame with special offset butted downtube and no external gussets
Tested by NS and found to be their strongest frame ever due to a unique post welding heat treament process
Actual top tube 21.5", effective top tube 22.5"
Peg compatible horizontal dropouts, geometry allows double pegging on a 430mm axle-to-crown fork
For use with 80-120mm travel forks, 24" wheels, Spanish BB, integrated headset. 4.8 lbs

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BK/FRFR/NS/NS1431?page=1#NS1431

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
Do any of you guys who have an NS capital know if you can use other companies brake mounts on the Capital?
Or if any of you guys have an extra set lying around....I've been trying to get some so i can run brakes on mine. Thanks.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Do any of you guys who have an NS capital know if you can use other companies brake mounts on the Capital?
Or if any of you guys have an extra set lying around....I've been trying to get some so i can run brakes on mine. Thanks.
It looks to be the same style of removable mount that is on our Liquid frames. Are you in the US? If so, I can send you a set no charge. Just shoot me a PM.

J

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
probably been mentioned already . . . but i just noticed NS changed up the Capital. with 110 spacing and u-brakes, it sounds a lot more like a Molly....

NS Capital-2.1 Frame
The 2.1 takes the Capital-2 to a new level in 24" street design with 110mm rear axle spacing, a super low integrated pivotal saddle mount, modified seatstays and a removeable U-brake mount
Based on the lightweight, premium Majesty 4130 CrMo butted steel frame with special offset butted downtube and no external gussets
Tested by NS and found to be their strongest frame ever due to a unique post welding heat treament process
Actual top tube 21.5", effective top tube 22.5"
Peg compatible horizontal dropouts, geometry allows double pegging on a 430mm axle-to-crown fork
For use with 80-120mm travel forks, 24" wheels, Spanish BB, integrated headset. 4.8 lbs

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BK/FRFR/NS/NS1431?page=1#NS1431
I don't see what you're getting at. Capitals have almost always had 110mm rear spacing, geometry that allows double pegging isn't new either. I remember that back in 08 when I saw a Capital for the first time, and saw people rocking that.
And I thought last years had removable u-mounts too.

16v

Chimp
Oct 7, 2009
It looks to be the same style of removable mount that is on our Liquid frames. Are you in the US? If so, I can send you a set no charge. Just shoot me a PM.

J
Such a stand-up move by Liquid Bikes; just got my brake mounts a couple days ago, and wanted to thank you again for sending a set. :thumb:
Unfortunately, they didn't fit my frame, so Im still in search for some mounts.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Such a stand-up move by Liquid Bikes; just got my brake mounts a couple days ago, and wanted to thank you again for sending a set. :thumb:
Unfortunately, they didn't fit my frame, so Im still in search for some mounts.
No worries. That sucks, though. I thought they looked the same. In what way do they not fit? Are the threads different?

toadfromoz

Chimp
Dec 16, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with the 2009 and 2010 Haro X24 cruisersand could recommend one over the other?

Last edited:

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I apologize for the jack, but if any of you lads are looking to get a new 24" frame, wheels, or fork, I'm piecing out my Tonic. Everything is in great shape, I just need to find a home for it with someone who can abuse it like it deserves! Email me at t1maglio@yahoo.com

NoBrakes23

Chimp
Sep 22, 2011
SoCal
I am pretty sure I want a 24". I have been lusting after a good 24" for over 20 years, ever since I had a 6 speed GT cruiser/MTB called a Hybrid, (Not to be confused with the 700c bikes) It is awesome to see the support 24"s get nowadays.

My dilemma is figuring out where to compromise for the flatland/street-trials duzall rig I want.

24slayer

Chimp
Mar 26, 2011
redmond oregon
anyone go from 24 mtb to 24 bmx and find it better.i have a contraband now on rigid forks.my thought was since i perfer rigid i should try 24 bmx.any one have ride time on both and can give me advice on the benefits of the bmx over the mtb.the only benefit i can think of on my 24 mtb is disc brakes

Dec 29, 2011
I just spent the day reading this entire thread. TONS of great info. I don't know how anyone could read this thread and not do whatever it takes to get a 24" MTBMX. I'll be joining the club soon.

One more thing I gotta say. Major props to Landon. How many bike companies will recommend a competitor's bike when their stock is low? Super stand-up guy.

Dec 29, 2011
because there is no reason to run suspension on a 24 inch bike. Just get a Liquid, they rule.
No offense, but you have no idea what my needs are. I'm sure your needs are different than mine, so our ideal bikes will likely be different. To each his own. Your liquid is a great bike, but it doesn't meet my needs.

I race 20" and 24" bmx bikes. I also have a 26" DH hardtail (among other MTBs) with a suspension fork, and I really prefer the suspension fork, especially for dirt jumps/4x style riding. I realize suspension forks aren't for everyone, which is fine.

I had an azonic DS-1 back in 2000. I built a 24" rear wheel for it and rode that thing around everywhere. I LOVED the 24" rear wheel setup, but it lowered my BB too much and it gave me a really raked out head angle. I have been waiting for someone to design a hardtail with front suspension around a 24" wheel. Until this thread, I didn't know they existed apart from kids bikes.

I'm glad to find a group of people on here who see the value of a 24" wheel, and I'm really grateful to the pioneers who designed frames around a 24" wheel (especially with a front suspension fork).

Last edited: