Quantcast

24/26" Kids Bikes Currently Available - 2021

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I updated this because I'm doing the research for Haley right now and a bunch of us have kids in this range, I might as well pass it along. Feel free to link it out to MTBR, Pinkbike, etc. if it's helpful to others.

I think I got all the major and boutique manufacturers who are currently making legitimate bikes for kids. Some are online only, others are shop based. Price spec is starting around $400+, which is a lot for a kid's bike, but if you are getting a solid bike it's your starting point.

There are scale up bikes (24 > 26) which I will put in 24".

Summary of the current nicer (real bike) 24" kid bike offerings, in no specific order:
TREK (kid's suite) - They have no 26" full suspension, just a slopestyle frame
Specialized (kid's suite)
REI Co-op (kid's suite)
Giant (kid's suite) - They have no 26" full suspension
Spawn Cycles
Commencal (kid's suite) - Huge selection of hardtails & full suspension across px range

Cannondale (kid's suite)
Kona (kid's suite) - hardtails & full suspension
Rocky Mountain - hardtails & full suspension; Reaper - holy shit, scale up bike.
Scott - no full suspension
Norco - (kid's suite) - selection of hardtails & full suspension across px range
Diamondback - no Full Suspension
Raleigh - I would say that they pretty much own the hybrid-type market, same with entry-level freewheel, hand-brake 16/20" bikes.
Lil Shredder - hardtail and full suspension

Marin - Rift Zone Jr - Full suspenion; scale up bike
Early Rider Bikes - (kid's suite)
Trailcraft Cycles - (kid's suite) - Super high-end hardtail & full suspension selection
YT Jeffsy Primus 24 - Full Suspension. Can't tell if scale up, would need to contact them
Giant Bikes - (kid's suite) All hardtail except Trance Jr 26
GT Bikes - (kid's suite) All hardtail (20-26)
Jamis Bikes - (kid's suite) All hardtail; improvement that I am adding from "ignore" before

Summary of the current nicer (real bike) 26" kid bike offerings, in no specific order:
Marin - Rift Zone 26 - Full Suspension
Specialized - Rockhopper 26 - Hardtail
REI - DRT 1.0 - Hardtail
Spawn Cycles - Hardtail & Full Suspension
Commencal (kid's suite) - Huge selection of hardtails & full suspension across px range; no scale up bikes
Rocky Mountain - Reaper - Holy shit.
Norco - (kid's suite) - selection of hardtails & full suspension across px range
Trailcraft Cycles - (kid's suite) - Super high-end hardtail & full suspension selection
YT Jeffsy Primus 26- Full Suspension.
Giant Trance Jr 26 - Full suspension
GT Stomper 26"" - I would consider this to be a build-off platform. Cheap, good frame, use your old parts to build out.

I got rid of the individual bike list as I didn't have space and it's dated now.

Update: For those having suspension issues for lighter riders - rebuild the fork with a lighter weight oil. Fox makes a low-friction seal kit and Push makes an ultra low-friction seal kit. The combination will help get the suspension moving for lighter riders and continuing to move while they are riding. I rebuilt Haley's Float 32 100 RLC with 0wt fork oil vs. Fox's recommended 7wt and it went from getting 30mm compression under square hits to 70mm+ and actively moving as she rides. Still not getting everything, but a huge difference.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Buy whatever the local bike park is dumping at seasons end.
My son's 24 was from Trestle.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The Commencal are pretty shred worthy 24's!
Check out this vid of a local 12year old girl ripping some of my local trails.

and this new one of her and some other kids riding in Valnord on the new 24" full sus ebike.

I've got a Kona Honzo24" sitting at work, it's also pretty damn good.

Kiwintas

Chimp
Oct 22, 2018
We went for a second hand giant xtc 24 for the boy as it was hard to find a 24 bike with disc brakes for a realistic price.
And at the speed the kids grow and the minimal difference in size between a small 26 and a 24. It made sense to get the boy on to a 26 as soon as possible as it was far easier and cheaper to build him up a light 26 with disc brakes and good suspension. And he now loves his commie meta 4x and doesn’t touch the giant.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We went for a second hand giant xtc 24 for the boy as it was hard to find a 24 bike with disc brakes for a realistic price.
And at the speed the kids grow and the minimal difference in size between a small 26 and a 24. It made sense to get the boy on to a 26 as soon as possible as it was far easier and cheaper to build him up a light 26 with disc brakes and good suspension. And he now loves his commie meta 4x and doesn’t touch the giant.
Finding upper-end second hand bikes here is difficult.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've come across a couple of product lines that are kid specific too. Answer has their full line up available: suspension, braking, cockpit, wheels, etc. Biggest thing that has my attention is a smaller bar/grip combo, but it can use standard clamps.

RST, SR Suntour, and Spinner Grind all provide decent 24" air forks around 3-4# that are valved for kids. Also using an old 26" Fox 32 80mm or RS SID 80mm forks with disc brakes will keep the a2c within 20-30mm. You can get a cheaper, better used fork that can be rebuilt.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
thread bump....

my son has pretty much outgrown his 16" bike. i sized him out on my bmx bike and, while long for him, height wise he's good, he's ready for a bigger bike, with at least 20" wheels. i'm leaning towards something more MTB oriented than bmx oriented, as he's expressed interest in going riding in the woods with me. he'll turn 6 in March, and he's already 4' tall. based on his height, should i go 20" wheels, or jump straight to 24" wheels? I was looking at commencal's kids bikes, and based on the height ranges they list (3'9" to 4'5" for 20", and 4'2" to 4'11" for 24") he may get more use out of a 24" wheeled bike. plus at a 24" wheel size there'd be more suspension fork options to upgrade in the future (although the ramones is a 1-1/8 head tube which limits options).

what's everyone's kids on, and how tall are they? i do like the commencal ramones (both the 20" and 24" variety). they're fully rigid, but use 2.6" tires for a little more squish for actual trail riding. plus, at that price point any suspension fork would add a lot of weight and not a lot of performance. only downside i can immediately see is that with a 1-1/8 head tube it would limit options for a fork upgrade.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thread bump....

my son has pretty much outgrown his 16" bike. i sized him out on my bmx bike and, while long for him, height wise he's good, he's ready for a bigger bike, with at least 20" wheels. i'm leaning towards something more MTB oriented than bmx oriented, as he's expressed interest in going riding in the woods with me. he'll turn 6 in March, and he's already 4' tall. based on his height, should i go 20" wheels, or jump straight to 24" wheels? I was looking at commencal's kids bikes, and based on the height ranges they list (3'9" to 4'5" for 20", and 4'2" to 4'11" for 24") he may get more use out of a 24" wheeled bike. plus at a 24" wheel size there'd be more suspension fork options to upgrade in the future (although the ramones is a 1-1/8 head tube which limits options).

what's everyone's kids on, and how tall are they? i do like the commencal ramones (both the 20" and 24" variety). they're fully rigid, but use 2.6" tires for a little more squish for actual trail riding. plus, at that price point any suspension fork would add a lot of weight and not a lot of performance. only downside i can immediately see is that with a 1-1/8 head tube it would limit options for a fork upgrade.
I have both the 20" Ramones for my 7.5 y.o. and the 24" for my 10 y.o.

They both lasted 2 seasons on their respective bikes, and are both ready to jump up a size. My 8 y.o. will get the 24" next year, and I have yet to decide what to do for my eldest...

So... to the sizing question. My youngest got the 20" when he was 6. He fit really well on the bike for both the years he's had it, and I could probably eke out a third year on it if I didn't already have a 24" wheel bike for him to jump on.

I just went and had a look at my eldest's height markings from his birthdays... when he got the bike, he would have been between 51" and 52" (somewhere around 4'3" I think?). He's on the 24" and has been on it for the past 2 years. So I'd say the 24" will fit your guy really well. I measured my oldest again today (for xc skis). He's now 57" (4'9" I think?), with a 26" inseam. The bike still fits, but not for proper riding. For tooling around the hood it would be fine, but for real trails, it's a little too small now.

I like the Ramones lineup precisely for the reasons you stated. Fully rigid, plus-size tires, disc brakes, 1x, and price. It strikes a great balance of value and performance. They've ridden their bikes to school, in the skate-park, at the pump track, and on trails.

I also liked the lack of suspension for a few reasons: 1. suspension forks add cost 2. they add weight 3. they add to the "sticky fingers" attractiveness. Since they lock up their bikes at school (and we're in a downtown setting), that last one is pretty important factor. I also wasn't sure how enthusiastic about biking they would be at first. No sense getting something fancy if they don't want/need/appreciate it.

But it turns out my oldest really likes mountain biking. So this summer I got him a fork for the 24". I was able to source a 26" Manitou Markhor. It has a 1-1/8" steerer, 9mm drop-outs, and accepts disc brakes. It's also valved light enough for him, which I was a little worried about. I had it lowered by 20mm too so it wouldn't be too tall. I had to go for a 26" fork so the + tires could clear the arch.

I plan on selling the 20" for at least $350 (Cdn). I have a neighbour who bought a used 24" Ramones for his daughter for $400, so the resale value is good.

I highly recommend them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I have both the 20" Ramones for my 7.5 y.o. and the 24" for my 10 y.o.

They both lasted 2 seasons on their respective bikes, and are both ready to jump up a size. My 8 y.o. will get the 24" next year, and I have yet to decide what to do for my eldest...

So... to the sizing question. My youngest got the 20" when he was 6. He fit really well on the bike for both the years he's had it, and I could probably eke out a third year on it if I didn't already have a 24" wheel bike for him to jump on.

I just went and had a look at my eldest's height markings from his birthdays... when he got the bike, he would have been between 51" and 52" (somewhere around 4'3" I think?). He's on the 24" and has been on it for the past 2 years. So I'd say the 24" will fit your guy really well. I measured my oldest again today (for xc skis). He's now 57" (4'9" I think?), with a 26" inseam. The bike still fits, but not for proper riding. For tooling around the hood it would be fine, but for real trails, it's a little too small now.

I like the Ramones lineup precisely for the reasons you stated. Fully rigid, plus-size tires, disc brakes, 1x, and price. It strikes a great balance of value and performance. They've ridden their bikes to school, in the skate-park, at the pump track, and on trails.

I also liked the lack of suspension for a few reasons: 1. suspension forks add cost 2. they add weight 3. they add to the "sticky fingers" attractiveness. Since they lock up their bikes at school (and we're in a downtown setting), that last one is pretty important factor. I also wasn't sure how enthusiastic about biking they would be at first. No sense getting something fancy if they don't want/need/appreciate it.

But it turns out my oldest really likes mountain biking. So this summer I got him a fork for the 24". I was able to source a 26" Manitou Markhor. It has a 1-1/8" steerer, 9mm drop-outs, and accepts disc brakes. It's also valved light enough for him, which I was a little worried about. I had it lowered by 20mm too so it wouldn't be too tall. I had to go for a 26" fork so the + tires could clear the arch.

I plan on selling the 20" for at least $350 (Cdn). I have a neighbour who bought a used 24" Ramones for his daughter for $400, so the resale value is good.

I highly recommend them.
great info, thanks. my son is 48" on the dot now, he'll be taller by the time he's 6 (this will likely be a birthday present). i agree the ramones seems like a great value, i don't want to drop a lot more than that if its not something he's gonna be really into. also, he only really got 2 years out of his 16" bike, for the money these bikes cost it'd nice to get a little bit more use out of it for him (then again, it would just go to my daughter).

i think one of my neighbors kids has a 24" wheeled bike, i want to try and size him out on it first ideally.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd stick to the 20" for now. It'll give him more control over the bike and there are plenty of 20" options out there. Then you can get him a 24" as he gets into it more. That's what I'm doing. My 49.5" tall 7yo is still on her 20 and loves it. Speaking of, I need to get her in the woods again.

Also, I picked her bike up off the local "curb alert" page. I replaced the saddle, grips, bars, stem, bottom bracket, rebuilt the hubs and gave it a tuneup. It's better than any bike I had until I was 15, and I'd argue it's probably better than that still.

Also, @CrabJoe StretchPants I already trashpicked a 24" if she decides on a hybrid. If she gets into it I'll get her a real bike like the Ramones. If she just wants to ride to school, there it be.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Orbea, Marin and Norco all do some pretty rad 20 & 24" bike now.
Orbea do the Laufey an aggressive HT in the smaller size's (130mm air forks and droppers!) and Marin have launched the San Quentin in the smaller sizes as well.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
My eldest is 48" and 7.75 years old. She has an Early Rider 20" rigid bike with discs and a SRAM 9 speed setup. She couldn't do the trigger shifter outside of the middle of the range but grip shift is fine. She digs it.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Looking back, I put Haley onto the 24" a season too early. She could honestly still get away with a 20" mtn bike (proper bike), just not if it involved leg extension climbing. For descending or tooling around, a 20" would be better.

It scales as a 29" would be for most normal sized people. Yeah it fits, and though sized right, rides large.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I had my son on my bmx bike yesterday. Height wise he was fine, it was too long, but that's because it's and adult length frame. One of my neighbors boys are on 24" wheel bikes so I'm gonna size him out on that at some point.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not sure Lil Man will have gears anytime soon. His dad has always been a single speed guy, so it wouldn't surprise me.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Weird, can't say I ever remember owning one. I was thinking of a FSA k-force I had a long time ago, I think the first CF component I ever had actually.

Truvativ in the Burner time era makes more sense as we were sponsored by sram then so most parts were that.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Interesting conversation.

My guy is on a 16" wheel, single speed, rigid bike atm and doing great. I haven't raised his seat all summer as he's grown. When he needs more umph, he stands up and pedals. Similarly, when he's at the bmx track or going down steps/uneven terrain, he stands and has clearance.

He's probably fine on his current bike through next summer, but this thread has me thinking about the next step.

I think it's important to keep it fun, simple, not force sitting all the time and let allow him to do a range of activities. 20" kid-oriented BMX is what I was on around that age... and it's what I learned to jump on.

Anyone else go this route?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm trying to get her to stand up more. She ate shot a while back and has been a lot more tentative ever since.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm trying to get her to stand up more. She ate shot a while back and has been a lot more tentative ever since.
I've been riding my jumping bike on rides with him to keep things interesting. He saw me and just copied. I keep the encouragement to a minimum as it's often not well received, but just let him know it's smoother on bumps and leave it at that. Just got him riding some steps. He's cool w/ 2 steps atm :)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've been riding my jumping bike on rides with him to keep things interesting. He saw me and just copied. I keep the encouragement to a minimum as it's often not well received, but just let him know it's smoother on bumps and leave it at that. Just got him riding some steps. He's cool w/ 2 steps atm :)
when we go to the bike park she stands up when she goes to the pump track and goes over jumps but when we're out on trails she sits down for everything

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
when we go to the bike park she stands up when she goes to the pump track and goes over jumps but when we're out on trails she sits down for everything
Interesting. My guy is still sitting on jumps at the bmx track! He knows how to do this, but isn't ready yet. Is catching air sitting down! :)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
great info, thanks. my son is 48" on the dot now, he'll be taller by the time he's 6 (this will likely be a birthday present). i agree the ramones seems like a great value, i don't want to drop a lot more than that if its not something he's gonna be really into. also, he only really got 2 years out of his 16" bike, for the money these bikes cost it'd nice to get a little bit more use out of it for him (then again, it would just go to my daughter).

i think one of my neighbors kids has a 24" wheeled bike, i want to try and size him out on it first ideally.
Hey Jon,

I snapped a few pics of my youngest on both bikes. He's 49.5" tall now.

Here he is on the 20":
1604428687495.png

And on the 24":
1604428605289.png

he was grumpy caus' we were on our way to school, and he felt it was too cold for a photoshoot! Note he's wearing pretty thick boots too. Also, this is my neighbour's bike, with the stock rigid fork.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hey Jon,

I snapped a few pics of my youngest on both bikes. He's 49.5" tall now.

Here he is on the 20":
View attachment 151721

And on the 24":
View attachment 151720

he was grumpy caus' we were on our way to school, and he felt it was too cold for a photoshoot! Note he's wearing pretty thick boots too. Also, this is my neighbour's bike, with the stock rigid fork.
good info, thanks. give him a high five from me for being a good sport.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Saw the Norco 20/24” bikes at the bmx track some weeks back. Looked pretty nice.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also, last i discussed this with my wife, she felt that $400 was "too much" for a kids bike. she had a hard time believing that's on the lower end of the price range.