Quantcast

24/26" Kids Bikes Currently Available - 2021

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
hey @slyfink (and anyone else, generally) how did your kids do switching from a coaster brake to hand brakes? and single speed to gears?
Good question. And it really depends on the kids.

My oldest was not quite three when he started riding his pedal bike. He was never able to figure out how to use the coaster brake. And with just one front hand brake on his 12" bike, it got quite dangerous when he would get going downhill fast. He wiped out onto his face at least once, and had a few close calls. He adapted to gears no problem, even tho it was gripshift.

My youngest never rode with a coaster brake. Went from the Strider of a 16" Ramones with hand brakes. I think he caught on fairly fast. The only thing is, he relied on the front brake much more than I realized (those v-brakes actually had brake-force "reducers" on them, sort of like a little spring that eases the bite of the pads on the rim so they don't lock up the front wheel). When he switched to his 20" bike with disc brakes, he learned fairly quickly not to grab a fistful of front brake. We were going down a big hill (it's a bunny hill for beginner skiers, but on a bike, it turns out that's pretty damn steep!) and he started really picking up speed. So I yelled at him to use his brakes. He basically just grabbed his front brake as hard as he could and pretty much launched himself to kingdom come. I watched in horror as he flew up a good 4' and belly flopped on to the grass. No harm no foul, kids are friggin made of rubber. For the most part he's pretty good now, but when we're trail riding I usually remind him at the start of the ride to use both brakes, and not rely too much on the front one, especially going downhill.

With the gears, he had a bit more of a hard time. He wasn't strong enough to turn the gripshift so I got him an entry level thumb shifter from SRAM (x3 maybe?). I pretty much had to ride behind him and tell him which button to click and which number to be on. I think the issue is kids quickly figure out that the "fastest" gear is 1, but don't realize there is an "optimal" gear depending on the terrain. So they always try to revert to 1 to "go fast"... Reading the terrain can take quite a while for some kids. It wasn't until this fall that he has figured it out on his own, and this is his second full season on the bike.

also, last i discussed this with my wife, she felt that $400 was "too much" for a kids bike. she had a hard time believing that's on the lower end of the price range.
haha! same here! Eventually, I was able to convince her we'd be able to recoup a majority of cost when it came time to sell them again. As I mentioned previously, I have a buddy who bought a used one for $400 (canuckistani pesos). But I think she's still dubious. Now that my older son seems to like riding, I tried to sell her on the notion of getting him a Process 134 (a buddy was selling his kids'), but $2000 for a *used* bike was too much to swallow... Plus, he was acting like a dickhead, so I couldn't bring myself to drop the cash at that time. There will be other opportunities I'm sure.

Just for giggles, when I was looking through my pics to see when I got the bike, I found this photo from the first time he got to ride it. No front teeth, haha!
1605628148029.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
hey @slyfink (and anyone else, generally) how did your kids do switching from a coaster brake to hand brakes? and single speed to gears?
My kids never liked coaster brakes. Hand brakes were an easy transition.

Shifting conceptually was fine. In practice I needed to switch Mariko's bike to gripshift since the actuation force for the SRAM trigger shifter was too much outside the middle of the cassette. Now she can go 2-9 fine. She still needs my help to click it to the biggest cog.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Regarding brakes, I think it's critical that the brakes be set up for a kid. That is the reach needs to be sized for little hands. Similarly, they need to be able to squeeze them with their limited power. Many kids bikes I've seen have both of these very wrong which leads to problems almost immediately.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
:stupid:
I have to say, Commençal have got this very right.
yea, the ramones 24 has tektro kids specific levers w/ mechanical disks, and a grip shifter (shimanos version, not grip shift).

i'm probably overthinking it. first time my kid tried a pedal bike he just got on and went (had training wheels, but still).

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Regarding brakes, I think it's critical that the brakes be set up for a kid. That is the reach needs to be sized for little hands. Similarly, they need to be able to squeeze them with their limited power. Many kids bikes I've seen have both of these very wrong which leads to problems almost immediately.
I used a ghetto plastic brake lever on Lil Man's bike at first because it was less reach than the fancy DiaComps even with them adjusted.

A kid up the street just got a Walmart 20" bmx that doesn't fit him. Watching him use the curb to get on it was sketch, but then watching him try to pull the brakes was pointless. He needs a 16.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
problem is (aside from my wife balking at price), the ramones 24 is out of stock and is listing availability as october 2021. i found another site that actually sells them in the US listing availability of late december (2020). so maybe an email to commencal is in order.

granted, this isn't going to be an xmas present, so no worries there, but given the high demand low supply of bikes lately, i don't want to drag ass, kids birthday is in March.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
problem is (aside from my wife balking at price), the ramones 24 is out of stock and is listing availability as october 2021. i found another site that actually sells them in the US listing availability of late december (2020). so maybe an email to commencal is in order.

granted, this isn't going to be an xmas present, so no worries there, but given the high demand low supply of bikes lately, i don't want to drag ass, kids birthday is in March.
An idea? https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2874444/

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ramones 24 lists a weight of just over 24lbs, @slyfink how does your son seem to handle it?
My 10 year old handles it just fine. I don't have any video of him riding it, but we sessioned this trail over and over again this summer and fall:
He's not crushing it yet, but definitely feeling more and more comfortable.

My 7.5 y.o. on the other hand, he can ride it in town, but it might be a bit much out on the trails. I think next year he'll be fine on it. But that comes down to fit more than weight.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My 10 year old handles it just fine. I don't have any video of him riding it, but we sessioned this trail over and over again this summer and fall:
He's not crushing it yet, but definitely feeling more and more comfortable.

My 7.5 y.o. on the other hand, he can ride it in town, but it might be a bit much out on the trails. I think next year he'll be fine on it. But that comes down to fit more than weight.
yea, my son will be 6 in March, but as mentioned previously, he's already 48" tall, and looking back at some pics from the summer he probably should have been on a 20" bike this year.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Saw that the other day... opportunity for growth is very nice... started looking to see if it's available frame only- but got sidetracked...

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Haley has discs and I have to upgrade the front because I can't get the lever in close enough.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
my nephew shuns brakes on his bike...atleast on his bmx bike...would just drag feet or ride into a yard and bail....

come home at night one big fucking grass stain...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Haley has discs and I have to upgrade the front because I can't get the lever in close enough.
I've got a cable disc brake that was on the rear of the DJ you bought before I swapped it to hydro, yours gratis if it can help.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've got a cable disc brake that was on the rear of the DJ you bought before I swapped it to hydro, yours gratis if it can help.
I might take you up on that. Let me rsch to find a close lever that can pull enough cable for a disc.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I might take you up on that. Let me rsch to find a close lever that can pull enough cable for a disc.
All yours, I don't recall what brand the caliper and lever are but next time I head downstairs to the garage I'll check.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
very important.
When transitioning from balance bike to pedal bike... the coaster brakes were a problem.
Hand brakes were an issue, until i adjuste the reach/travel and position.... and now my 6yo brakes with 2 fingers with no problems at all

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so the REI co-op 24 has nearly identical geometry to the ramones 24 (a few mm here and there), has a comparable build spec, is almost $100 cheaper. but is also 4lbs heavier (24.25 vs 28.2) woof.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What about the Raleigh Rowdy?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What about the Raleigh Rowdy?
rim brakes, crap tires. weight is good though. but doesn't seem to be available.

my neighbor down the street has the co-op 24 for one of his boys. i'm gonna size my son up on it this afternoon. if that fits him, i'll be going to REI this week (its available locally even). if its just way too big for him, i'll go with a 20" bike. the ramones 20 is still available.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
is the 24 you're looking at the plus bike? if so, yuck for kids. Eh for adults, but big yuck for kids- they don't need to be pushing massive tires around

Are you sure you want disks for a kid? The V brakes on my daughter's bike are good enough to stop me when I ride it...they are much preferable to the mechanical promax on my wife's bike and even the well used XTs on my hybrid.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is the 24 you're looking at the plus bike? if so, yuck for kids. Eh for adults, but big yuck for kids- they don't need to be pushing massive tires around

Are you sure you want disks for a kid? The V brakes on my daughter's bike are good enough to stop me when I ride it...they are much preferable to the mechanical promax on my wife's bike and even the well used XTs on my hybrid.
they're 2.6". they're not that huge. for a kid they're a better option than a suspension fork. besides, i could easily source a smaller set of 24" tires. (note: maxxis makes the DHF in a 24 x 2.4 size)

also re: discs - my son has expressed a specific interest in going mountain biking in the woods with me this summer, so this isn't going to be just a bike for derping around the neighborhood.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Tried my neighbors 24". While he's on the small end of the size range, he definitely fit and was able to ride. The seat could have gone down at least another inch, and there were spacers below the stem that can be removed. 24" it is.