Quantcast

24 Solo???

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I have put on 24 Hr Races (last 3 years we were the NORBA National Champioship of 24 hr Racing). I have watched top Pros (Chris Eatough, Mark Hedershot, Nat Ross..) pretty closely to see what they do to make things work. Some of the stuff I have seen is pretty impressive. Along with being able to ride for 24 hours (actually you could end up riding 25+ depending on where you are at on the course at the end of the race) you have to have a well oiled pit and crew. Eatough has it dialed. When he took the Solo Championship 2 years ago, he was stopped less than 10 seconds between every lap!!

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
ghostrider said:
You need to talk to our own King Monkey aka Westy. Also, noticed you are in Ventura - where/what do you ride?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm usually on Sulphur mountain or at Sycamore when i'm on the mtb, the rest of the time(most of the time) I'm on the road.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Zutroy said:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm usually on Sulphur mountain or at Sycamore when i'm on the mtb, the rest of the time(most of the time) I'm on the road.
Cool. I live in Thousand Oaks. Sycamore is my backyard - send me a PM if you want to ride. Good to see another local monkey.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've done 3 solo. What would you like to know?

Zutrov, you should do a duo at the 24 hours of Old Pueblo with Ghostrider, it would be a good precursor to a solo shot.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
I've done 3 solo. What would you like to know?

Zutrov, you should do a duo at the 24 hours of Old Pueblo with Ghostrider, it would be a good precursor to a solo shot.
Dude, I'm trying to get on a ten-person corporate team so I only have to do one "trophy" lap.

ghostrider

Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Westy said:
The bigger question is how many people will be on Ghostriders team, -1 through any?
I've got 3 teams fighting over my blazing speed right now. I told them all I'm good for 5 45 minute laps in the dry, day or night. My plan is when I come back in 1:30 I'll show them the busted chain I stashed in my pack, then I'll fake a pulled muscle and cruise the rest of my laps, drinking brews to ease the pain.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
Hey Westy, when you've raced solo, did you ride the whole time or take time off for naps?
The goal is to ride the whole time, I've always been fairly unsupported so stopping to eat, work on the bike etc. is required.

The one I felt good in I never slept. The other two I ended up getting a nap or two in.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Westy said:
The goal is to ride the whole time, I've always been fairly unsupported so stopping to eat, work on the bike etc. is required.

The one I felt good in I never slept. The other two I ended up getting a nap or two in.
I could see naps causing a problem. It probably is highly dependent on the person, and how you sleep. How long do you usually stop for and how often?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Zutroy said:
I could see naps causing a problem. It probably is highly dependent on the person, and how you sleep. How long do you usually stop for and how often?
The biggest problem with naps is getting moving after you wake up, it is tough. Even tougher if it is cold out, with all you are puting your body through your metabolism slows down and getting warm again is near impossible. But it is amazing how much better you can feel after only a 30 minute lap. How much you need or want to sleep depend on what condition you are in. My friend Bob is a 24 hour machine. His wife does a great job supporting him and he never really leaves the bike except to change clothes. Ideally I'd like to do a race and only take one quick nap in the wee hours of the morning, just to refresh the mind.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Ideally you don’t want to ‘stop.’ I’m way more qualified to give advice on 12’s. My last real race I did stop after each lap but the whole time in transition lasted less than 3 minutes.
I was fully self supported so after each lap I’d:
Fill 1 water bottle with water
Take a shot of Hammer Gel
Fill 1 water bottle with water and cytomax
Take another shot of HG
Get back on the bike and ride.

I bonked out bad towards the end and probably stopped 7 minutes to eat something solid like a fig Newton or something but then got back on a rhode. We rode into the night but I had a full setup ready to go with the batter already attached and in a camel back, the light already attached to a spare helmet. It might have taken an extra 2 minutes to change into that.

I was off the bike less than 45 minutes the whole 12 hours (still a lot though.)
My goal for 24’s has always been similar but with a little longer break way early in the morning for a little rest and something solid to eat.