Quantcast

24 street bike (fallguy ?)

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
I love downhill. I love freeriding. Its expensive, and its far away. No one around here does it. I have plenty of friends riding 20inchers, but that just isn't my thing.

Is there an available complete 24in singlespeed urban/dirtjump bike that can be had for under a grand ? Would it be possible to build such a bike for under a grand ? I've been looking at the tonic fallguy, but I just don't know if I can do the whole build it up thing. Please, help me. :cheers:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Under a grand? No. The frame/BB/HS/seatclamp is 650. If you built it REALLY cheap with used everything maybe but it'd be hard.

It's a badass bike and IMO it's worth building it yourself. Just get your LBS to check it up afterwords.

For a complete, check out the Specialized P. Street, DK General Lee (rigid, very BMX-ish, but cheap), or a few others I'm forgeting.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Like 05 I think. God, I know there are some other completes.

Maybe that GT Ruckus thing's 24"? I dunno.

Also consider a Union Molly. Cheaper than a Fall Guy, very similar, and could be built cheap. If you find a beater fork and cheap wheels the rest is easy.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
The molly's definately look sick. This is such a tough descision for me to make. I'm comfortable on a larger frame/wheelset but I just can't afford it. I'm really hoping I don't have to go to the 20in world...

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
find a used frame and build up using used parts. sick bike can be built with patients. also you should consider 26. much more options, and in my experience riding a 24inch wheeled bie anylonger than 3-4 block begins to suck incredible amounts of chode

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I bet you could build up a Steelhead or some other "budget" 26" frame for seriously like under $600 with good parts.

If you're on a budget a 26er would definately be easier to find parts for.

But, I'm building my Fall Guy super cheap. I found a lowered Z1 for $150, I'm building my wheels onto a Hazard R, no-name F hub, using profiles with a used spindle, using some old EA30 bars and a no-name stem, etc. I bet it'll be around 1K all built up.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I want to say 6.1 pounds painted. It's on Tonic's site if you wanna check but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
just talk to friends and riders see if they have a bike ther willing to sell, just wait and look you'll find a good deal, i got my Transition Trail or park fully built on a 2 ride old frame for $440.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
The molly's definately look sick. This is such a tough descision for me to make. I'm comfortable on a larger frame/wheelset but I just can't afford it. I'm really hoping I don't have to go to the 20in world...
if you really wanna go cheap, get the DK general lee 24". it costs $260 retail. Even after replacing the garbage h-bars, cranks, chain, seatpost and pedals you will still be way shy of $1000...like $500 shy.

here is how mine turned out. more for DJ than street:

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
blk mrkt will have 2 completes in the range of $800 and $1200 around january. 26 wheels only but pretty good pricing.

pics from ride-this.com

Sep 8, 2004
If you are set on 24" wheels, why not take a look at a BMX cruiser? We The People makes a pretty smooth one... just an overgrown street ride. You won't have suspension, but it should ride pretty nice.

http://wethepeople.de/V3/product/109

I believe it retails for $500-600, but its build/part spec is a lot nicer than the DK's.

-James.

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
Damn I'm really liking that wethepeople 24in. 1) where can I get one, their site wasn't giving me the impression that they are sold online or anywhere near me 2) is it going to be able to stand up to hard street riding ?

Sep 8, 2004
That I'm not so sure about. Try asking your local bike shops. I haven't seen it online yet, but it is a 2007 model. Danscomp.com might carry it as well (I didn't see it on their site though).

-James.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
What's up with so many bikes having slack ass HAs now? The GT UF cro-mo is another with whack geo.

p1ridrnc42

Chimp
Aug 11, 2006
Hey if you want a complete cheep...Ive got an 05 P street 24" in awesome shape...brand new Maxxis holy roller tires, front fork is perfect, great for street and dirt jumping....im only asking $375...let me know...tim 919 255 8947