Quantcast

24" tires and gearing?????

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Ok so i picked up a Dobermann Molosse 24 and the halo twin rail 2.2s i have are too wide.
the guys riding 24s what tires do you like for street or trail and what is a good size?
Also what gearing are you guys finding work the best without peddaling my lungs out on distance rides

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Ok so i picked up a Dobermann Molosse 24 and the halo twin rail 2.2s i have are too wide.
the guys riding 24s what tires do you like for street or trail and what is a good size?
Also what gearing are you guys finding work the best without peddaling my lungs out on distance rides
anything from 2.195 up to 2.35 is fine with me on my 24"s.

what gearing? use the formula. damn this question is getting old. aim for low 60's in gear inches to haul ass on flat ground and still get up some hills.

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm running 1.95 back and 2.2 up front. And 23-10. But, that's a little low for commuting.

And, CMC, I wondered when you would get tired of giving advice. Haha. You're always one of the more helpful ones around here, but sometimes it gets a little old, huh?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
anything from 2.195 up to 2.35 is fine with me on my 24"s.

what gearing? use the formula. damn this question is getting old. aim for low 60's in gear inches to haul ass on flat ground and still get up some hills.
yeah the 2.2 halo twin rails don't fit the rear of the dob. I have a 24x195 on there now and it fits.

just wondering what other tires come in 1.95 or maybe Intense micro knobbies in 1.85 they usually run oversized well at least the 26x2.35 runs as wide as a 2.4 or 2.5.
do the 24x1.85 run over sized

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Maxxis holy roller would work, or maybe a K-rad.

Put your wheel all the way forward in the drops, (or wherever you want it to end up) measure center to center, and then use the chainstay length calculator to get the perfect gear combo.
Shoot for about 60 gear inches, and a full link.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Maxxis holy roller would work, or maybe a K-rad.

Put your wheel all the way forward in the drops, (or wherever you want it to end up) measure center to center, and then use the chainstay length calculator to get the perfect gear combo.
Shoot for about 60 gear inches, and a full link.
full link? As in regular chain? Why not run a half link chain? I have found that 30x12 gives me exactly 60 gear inches.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I am running k-rad 2.3 for some more air volume, my trails can get a little bumpy so it helps. The krads look like they would be a crappy tire but are actually quite good.

For smaller tires, you can get a sb8 in a 1.95 I think. I love the tires but they are a little small for me, they are more of a racer tire, real skinny. They might be good for park and definately good for the bmx track.

Gears, I am useing 34/14

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
i just bumped up to 28x11 on the 24".

dmr moto is nice for the front. i used the 2.2 size for a while and liked it. now i have a 2.25 tabletop in front and 2.1 tioga rear.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
k-rad comes in 1.95, that's what i got

That 2.2 halo won't fit? That's crazy. That's a pretty narrow tire for even for a 2.2.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
full link? As in regular chain? Why not run a half link chain? I have found that 30x12 gives me exactly 60 gear inches.
Half links and half link chains suck, and limit your options. I've run them as a last resort if I can't get a combo that works with a regular chain, but I'd rather not.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I don't know the Halo Twin rails I have are actually big for a 2.2.

Where did you find the K-rads in that size? It's either that or 1.85 intense mico knobbies
Maybe my 26" twin rails just look narrow compared to my 24 dmr moto 2.2. Got the k-rads from work, but a quick search shows them available in a few places.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Half links and half link chains suck, and limit your options. I've run them as a last resort if I can't get a combo that works with a regular chain, but I'd rather not.
individual half-links do suck.... but i have had zero issues with my KHE all-half link chain or my Shadow Conspiracy half-link chain. they seem real solid. i like em a lot. have you had problems with them?

and it was a necessity on my MOB running 30-14. a regular chain pulled the axle too far forward, and adding a link it sat too far back.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I don't understand. I think regular chains limit your options.
I don't get that either. I needed an individual half lik to set my fixed gear up and one on my cr24. I think these newer bikes with short fropouts half links are a necessity. Even my Dobermann I could not set it up without a full half link. The only draw back isee is weight on a full half link

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Half link chains cost a lot more, so you are less likely to replace them when they stretch.
They seem to wear chainrings out a lot faster.
They can be a PITA to install, and some require special chain tools.
When I said limit options, I mean for the chains themselves, there are tons of regular chain choices out there, but very few for half links.
Obviously 1/4 inch increments in chainstay lengths are better than 1/2 inch increments, but the calculator takes the guesswork out, letting you figure out what gears will be dead on with a full link.

Maybe my idea of building a database of different gear combos is something we should still do.
I gave up on it when urbaindk came up with the calculator, but I'm guessing that the calculator is way beyond the ability of many people to comprehend. A simple list of different combos and the resultant chainstay lengths would probably be a lot easier to understand for the non geeks :D

Last edited:

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
I run a Odyssey path in the rear and 30x12 gearing.

Dans comp has either the Odyssey 2.25" Aitken or the 2.1" path in 24 for 21 bucks. Both great tires.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Axis thanks i kept looking for 24" in the general tire size option and those don't come up. Found then now and going to give them a try. I wish Maxxis made a 24" m-tread used to love those on my 20"