Quantcast

24" vs. 26" rear wheel for DH

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I have 2 DH rigs, one of them is an unstoppable tank, aka... Nicolai MPire and the other is a fun-lightish frankenbike whoz origins are unknown. The frankenbike runs a 24" rear wheel. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to running a 26" up front and a 24" rear?

Oh yea.. both bikes are super fun to ride. The Mpire weighs in at 52lbs and the frankenbike weighs in at 39-40lbs.

Last edited:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I have 2 DH rigs, one of them is an unstoppable tank, aka... Nicolai MPire and the other is a fun-lightish frankenbike whoz origins are unknown. The frankenbike runs a 24" rear wheel.

dude, go ride your two bikes back to back and report back to us with your findings.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sherm, the big disadvantage to a 24" rear is its ability to roll over obstactles. 24" rears feel like they "hang up" on square edged hits. I used to own a 2002 Big Hit DH with a 24" rear and its a real problem. My speed jumped up dramatically when I got a bike that had a 26" rear again.

I also noticed that the two wheels didn't want to corner in the same arc. It felt like rear end of the bike and the front end weren't on speaking terms ;)

My tip would be to sell the frankenbike and put the Mpire on a serious diet. 52lbs is outta hand! Ohh yeah, ride more!

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
24" wheel, lowers the bb by 1" and slacks the HA by 1*. if you like those things it is an advantage.

lower overall and rotational mass for the same width tire.

increased stiffness and durability over a 26" hoop.

reduced ability to roll over obstacles (the opposite effect of going to a 29" wheel).

reduced tire and rim selection options (arrow makes a ton of stuff still).

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I scored a set of Mag 30's rims when I first joined RM. $40 for both a 26" and a 24" (laced'em up as my first hand built wheelset). The frankenbike was my first real bike build... hmmm I should post that up. As soon as I put it together, I did a bit of midnight urban assult, followed by a DH race 8 hours later. Had a blast and the bike didn't implode.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i agree with the rolling resistance comment. Also, I don't like the way my bike feels with the small wheel. It effectively shortens the TT and slackens the HA, but I feel like the steering is way more wobbly than with two of the same sized wheels. still trying to go dual 26's, but whatever.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Is this thread REALLY happening?

Im going to start a 3.0" tire thread now...
YES IT IS HAPPENING.
YES IT IS THE END OF THE WORLD
YES I AM A NOOB IN FULL BODY ARMOR
NO I WILL NOT BUY YOU DINNER

lol 52!!!!

insanity
seriously... the dial scale they had at SouthBay Bicycles went around one complete turn.... shoulda seen the look on the guys face when he asked.... "does that thing actually pedal?"

Last edited:

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
...YES I AM A NOOB IN FULL BODY ARMOR...

:cheers:

nice!

nothin' wrong with body armor, in my mind. and we were all noobs at some point.

i just felt that you had the answer in your hands, all you had to do was ride the bikes and think about what you were feeling.

i tried a 24" rear for a little bit, on my hardtail....let's just say it wasn't ideal for tunnel.:cheers:

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
24" wheel, lowers the bb by 1" and slacks the HA by 1*. if you like those things it is an advantage.

lower overall and rotational mass for the same width tire.

increased stiffness and durability over a 26" hoop.

reduced ability to roll over obstacles (the opposite effect of going to a 29" wheel).

reduced tire and rim selection options (arrow makes a ton of stuff still).
Mandown has recently decided to actually run a 29" wheel in the rear, with a 26" front. Apparently he really likes it. Raises the bb 1" so he never clips pedal...