Quantcast

24" wheel on a DH hardtail

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Anyone running this type of set-up - hardtail with 24" rear wheel and a single crown fork for DH? And if so, how do you like the way it makes your hardtail ride for DH?

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I have a 24" on the rear of the Toy...I never really did too much DHing with the 4" Fox, but in the little bit I did, it was the fork that was holding me back the most (mostly due to the low and steep front end). I now have a monster on there and it rules :) I was considering throwing a 26" on the rear just so it would roll a little better, but I never did. Either way, Ive never been JRA and thought to myself that Id like a 26" instead of the 24". I almost never hit my pedals on the ground if youre worried about that.

My set up is: small LeToy, 02 Monster, 26" front (2.7" Mobster, 24" rear (2.7" High roller) in the shortest chainstay length

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
the front is what felt the squirliest to me when I went to Plattekill.

I ride a Snipes 30-06 with a Shiver Single Crown up front and with that set up it is slack for urban, but not quite slack enough for my tastes for DH......but at the same time I'm not really into putting a DC fork on my hardtail because I don't do enough Dhing to justify anything like that.

Hence the 24" wheel question.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
I've DH'd at PKill for years with a hardtail - it's quite fun. However I've never tried to race.

I have a Norco250 that I run a 24" wheel on the rear, and a 5" Z1 single crown up front. I've ridden that thing everywhere - Urban(Boston), XC(Foxboro, MA), FR(Lynn, MA) and DH(Pkill and Mt Snow). Irony is that it's a dirtjumping bike, and I've yet to DJ.

I run a 2.6" wide tire on a 24" 36 hole rynolite - That thing is SOLID. I've trued it maybe once it a year and half.

Since the Frame is a DJ, it's plenty slack for DH - actually I had a hard time finding a long enough seat post for doing trail riding...

Yeah the front end gets a little squirly... but you just have to get used to not leaning as far back. It's bit scary at first, but you get used to it (wear armor).

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Ive done a good amout of downhilling on my Imperial with a 6" Breakout and 26"s and 24"s. The Imperial ends up with a 67 head angle with the dual 26"s and the bigger rear wheel really takes the edge off of the bumps. The 24" wheel slacked it out a bit for sure, but I think having the 26 in back was better because it let me tackle rough corners more aggressively.

If I was on a bike with a steeper head angle or a shorter travel fork, I might be more inclined to stick with the 24 though. In that case, I personally probably couldnt go as fast or smooth as I do on my Imperial with the 26" rear, but I think it would be the better setup for a steeper, shorter travel bike becuase I hope it would slack the front end out enough to keep the bike from twitching. Obviously, its all situational. Theres not much you can do to slack out a bike that has a 71 degree HA with a 4 or 5 inch fork.

dw

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Originally posted by MMcG
...I don't do enough Dhing...
Well?...What the hell is your problem? :p :D :devil: Just think of how nice it would ride with a Shiver DC on there! ;)

For me, the big fork made all the difference in the world...I can fly into rock gardens at mach stupid and not worry about folding my fork under me and endo-ing 25.3 feet into the bush. Obviously the SC made me think way more about my line and whatnot, but not having to worry about the fork is super nice.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by dw
Ive done a good amout of downhilling on my Imperial with a 6" Breakout and 26"s and 24"s. The Imperial ends up with a 67 head angle with the dual 26"s and the bigger rear wheel really takes the edge off of the bumps. The 24" wheel slacked it out a bit for sure, but I think having the 26 in back was better because it let me tackle rough corners more aggressively.

If I was on a bike with a steeper head angle or a shorter travel fork, I might be more inclined to stick with the 24 though. In that case, I personally probably couldnt go as fast or smooth as I do on my Imperial with the 26" rear, but I think it would be the better setup for a steeper, shorter travel bike becuase I hope it would slack the front end out enough to keep the bike from twitching. Obviously, its all situational. Theres not much you can do to slack out a bike that has a 71 degree HA with a 4 or 5 inch fork.

dw
The Snipes has probably a 69 or 68 degree HA with my Shiver on it, but a couple of degrees slacker would really be nice methinks.

Thanks for your insight dw.

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
i am in the same situtaion as you MmCG. Not to be a hijacker but does anyone know what the head angle of a kona scab frame is with a 3/4/5" fork? also, is it realistic to be afraid of snapping off the dropouts on a psylo? i am not heavy(150lbs.) but i do tend to hit things(ie rock gardens, drops) with a fair amount of speed. if its not a reality, then eff it. if it is i will see if i can get my dirty lil paws on some 20mm lowers.

Sorry for the hijack:p

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by mcA896
i am in the same situtaion as you MmCG. Not to be a hijacker but does anyone know what the head angle of a kona scab frame is with a 3/4/5" fork? also, is it realistic to be afraid of snapping off the dropouts on a psylo? i am not heavy(150lbs.) but i do tend to hit things(ie rock gardens, drops) with a fair amount of speed. if its not a reality, then eff it. if it is i will see if i can get my dirty lil paws on some 20mm lowers.

Sorry for the hijack:p
I wouldn't call it a hijack and everyone is welcome in my threads.

do you have the geometry of your Scab? You can probably contact Kona to get it and they'll let you know how the Head Tube Angle will slacken with the addition of additional travel and fork type (different brands are taller than others).

I'd say Ride the Psylo or see if you can swap with someone with a Psylo Tullio or something if you are on a budget.