Quantcast

24" Wheel Spoke Length

shift

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
22
0
Shopping around for a set of spokes to build up my 24". What length spoke should I be looking for??
 

shift

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
22
0
My wheels aren't listed in the spoke calculator. What other info do you need?
 
Apr 9, 2004
516
8
Mount Carmel,PA
wheel building is a long an not too easy process. The 1st thing you need to do is get the ERD of the wheel. rim manufacturer can give you this. You could also measure it but without the correct tool you could be a mm or so off and it will matter. You also need to get the correct hub diameter measurements. This is a prety difficult process as well.and you need to be precise. There are a few good books on wheel building.
Unfortunatly if you dont know what you measurments you need you are not ready to tackle this. a decent wheel builder will charge about 30 bucks labor plus parts per wheel. let somone else build them this time. Get a good book and some proper tools, practice , and then guve it a try. I have been building wheels for about 10 years and enjoy it. it is a great skill to learn, but you need some education and equiptment before going for it.
 

patineto

The RM Mad Scientist
Feb 19, 2002
935
0
berkeley, ca
teamkranzelbike said:
wheel building is a long an not too easy process. The 1st thing you need to do is get the ERD of the wheel. rim manufacturer can give you this. You could also measure it but without the correct tool you could be a mm or so off and it will matter. You also need to get the correct hub diameter measurements. This is a prety difficult process as well.and you need to be precise. There are a few good books on wheel building.
Unfortunatly if you dont know what you measurments you need you are not ready to tackle this. a decent wheel builder will charge about 30 bucks labor plus parts per wheel. let somone else build them this time. Get a good book and some proper tools, practice , and then guve it a try. I have been building wheels for about 10 years and enjoy it. it is a great skill to learn, but you need some education and equiptment before going for it.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!
 

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
295
0
Browns Summit, NC
if your local shop has Bike O Log, then its easy to get the spoke length, tell um what rim you have how many holes, what hub how many holes they punch that crap in what cross you want and presto chang-o you got your spoke lenghts, DT Swiss calc is kinda similar i jsut like using Bike O Logs cause its to simple. Ive also got a chart that Wheelsmith made that you can do all the actual measurments using calipers and getting the rim erd. If you get no luck finding the info PM me ill look it up at the shop tomorrow ( sat ) and PM ya back the spoke lengths.
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
ZachTheMech said:
if your local shop has Bike O Log, then its easy to get the spoke length, tell um what rim you have how many holes, what hub how many holes they punch that crap in what cross you want and presto chang-o you got your spoke lenghts, DT Swiss calc is kinda similar i jsut like using Bike O Logs cause its to simple. Ive also got a chart that Wheelsmith made that you can do all the actual measurments using calipers and getting the rim erd. If you get no luck finding the info PM me ill look it up at the shop tomorrow ( sat ) and PM ya back the spoke lengths.
I usually do a quick double check of the hole-to-hole and axle length when using BikeALog, especially with Shimano hubs. There are so freaking many models I don't want to screw that up.
 

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
1,019
0
Orange County
Well, what rims and hubs are you using? Spoke length depends on a few things, like the others have already said. Effective rim diameter, number of spokes, spoke hole diameter, center to flange, flange height, lacing pattern. Basically, if you're asking these questions, you might as well pay someone to build them for you.

Oh, www.google.com will help you a lot. Search for "ERD" and the rim name/manufacturer
 

ZachTheMech

Monkey
Mar 17, 2004
295
0
Browns Summit, NC
sanjuro said:
I usually do a quick double check of the hole-to-hole and axle length when using BikeALog, especially with Shimano hubs. There are so freaking many models I don't want to screw that up.
True, ive also found some hubs not listed, so i add them to it, taking all the measurments myself.
 

shift

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
22
0
amateur said:
Basically, if you're asking these questions, you might as well pay someone to build them for you.
Gotta learn somehow!

I will admit, this will be my first time building a wheel, and I'm not 100% sure what dimensions/measurements I will need. Which is why I'm asking these questions. One of my wheels is already laced to a hub so I think I can follow that pattern. The other hub, however, will be different. So I'm guessing I will probably need a different length spoke for that one. The wheel is not going to a shop to get built.

I should add that I'm using a Shimano fm-m525 via-m rear hub with a 24" Tioga Factory DH wheel. As for the front, same wheel as the rear, and the hub is undetermined (never got one yet)
 

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
17,412
0
SF
shift said:
Gotta learn somehow!

I will admit, this will be my first time building a wheel, and I'm not 100% sure what dimensions/measurements I will need. Which is why I'm asking these questions. One of my wheels is already laced to a hub so I think I can follow that pattern. The other hub, however, will be different. So I'm guessing I will probably need a different length spoke for that one. The wheel is not going to a shop to get built.
Frankly, I would ask someone who knows how to build a wheel for help. It is extremely complicated, from how the spokes are laced to the right tensions.

In any event, this is the best site I have found for wheelbuilding advice: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html.
 

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
1,019
0
Orange County
Lacing is the easy part. Tensioning and truing will get you. My advice and how I learned: lace it up on your own, then take it to your shop, have them teach you how to tension/true.

I'll see what I can do spoke-length wise. Are you going 3x or 4x with the lacing? Keep in mind 3x is stiffer laterally and 4x vertically.

This site might be helpful

http://www.algonet.se/~osarkab/mart_1/mltn-orbit/files_moo/spocalc_reg-hubs.html
 

shift

Chimp
Nov 23, 2005
22
0
amateur said:
Lacing is the easy part. Tensioning and truing will get you. My advice and how I learned: lace it up on your own, then take it to your shop, have them teach you how to tension/true.

I'll see what I can do spoke-length wise. Are you going 3x or 4x with the lacing? Keep in mind 3x is stiffer laterally and 4x vertically.

This site might be helpful

http://www.algonet.se/~osarkab/mart_1/mltn-orbit/files_moo/spocalc_reg-hubs.html
I appreciate your help!

ZachTheMech has already found some spoke lengths for me, so I'm gonna pick up those spokes within the next few days and see how far I can get with it. Truing/tensioning does seem a little tricky, if it comes down to it, I will go to the LBS and get some help, but I want to do as much as I can by myself.
 

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
3,316
489
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
just don't get angry and over tighten anything. I had guys go that and bring them to me when I was working full time at the shop and man they got stuff jacked! patience is the key, if you get stuck check ou sheldenbrown.com, if your still stuck run to a shop and play dumb they'll take care of you and teach you stuff you need to know