Quantcast

24in tire weights. TT, fs100, KHE, Holly Roller, KRAD, Kenda

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
alright so i decided to weight every 24in tire i had lying around and was shocked at the weights i gathered. we used a new scale (bought less than 2 weeks ago) and the local bmx shop rats keep this thing dialed in on weight to a t, testing it out everyday. below are the weights and pics
lightests to heaviest:

KHE mac 2 folding 1lb flat or 453g

Table top Kevlar 1lb 2 oz 462 g

Used kenda krad 1.95 1lb 3 oz 467g

Used maxxis hr 1.85 1 lb 4 oz 471 g

FS 100 1lb 12oz 794 g

used maxxis hr 2.40 1lb 12oz 794 g

Tioga 2.125 old as hell 2lb 2oz 916 g

random weights:

bontrager 24 in tube: 6oz
kenda 24in tube: 4.5oz

hayes disc hub 32h, brass nips db spokes to mtx 2lb 4oz
110 street geisha, 14mm, 11t driver 36 db spokes, brass nips, rhino xl FOR SALE, 110+SHIPPING 3lbs 3 oz

Pics of the deathmobile with the new tire set up. KHE back, FS100 front

KHE on rhino xl for height

top view for width, yes i know its on backwards and i suck at life sorry

fs100 on mtx height

fs100 on mtx width

and finally a shot of my secret agent in its winter form:

will report back on the khe tires after riding them for a bit, have two but only running a back one currently

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
not available yet. still prototypes. so far its the sickest of all the tires. light, soft, great tread pattern, low height, high pressure (got 120 in her and 80 in the fs100), great rubber compound (same as the bmx tires), and looks DOPE

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
woa nice work. whats the width on the mac 2. looks a lil smaller than the fs100 but that could be the different rims.

whatcha doing with the other mac 2?? give it up, sell to me!! :)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
the other mac2 is gonna be help onto for a while. i am going to switch b/w it and the fs100 up front for indoor park riding. what surprised me most was how close the table top was in weight to the mac2, all the guys in the shop could not believe how close they were. the tt is SICK for street and dirt but for park its a little too knobby esp after popping on some mac2's and the fs100's

and sorry no cant give it up or slang it, that would not be good for khe or me, but great for you. Cant wait to shred these tires, after this weekend should have a good idea on what they are about

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
a
used maxxis hr 2.40 1lb 12oz 509 g
You got me really excited about the weight of my new 2.4 HR until I checked your math. :plthumbsdown: 1lb 12oz = 794g or basically the 795g quoted everywhere when I bought it.

Thanks for the very comprehensive post though - this is sure to help a ton of guys out and be a reference post linked to for quite a while! Good work and thanks again.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
You got me really excited about the weight of my new 2.4 HR until I checked your math. :plthumbsdown: 1lb 12oz = 794g or basically the 795g quoted everywhere when I bought it.

Thanks for the very comprehensive post though - this is sure to help a ton of guys out and be a reference post linked to for quite a while! Good work and thanks again.
yea, thats what i was going to say. when i switched from 2.4HR to fs100 i could litteraly feel the weight being chopped off from the rotational mass - i knew your figure was bit off :)
that fs100 lookin nice :)

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
high roller 2.4 and fs100 weight the exact same vas, its just the smoother tread pattern, less rolling resistance, and smaller size that contributed to that. im going to try and get some weights for the dmr and specialized tire soon. i really need to invest in a nice scale, but im sure my buddies will steal it for obvious reasons. and thanks again vas, the tire rocks! how is the tt holding up for ya?

the deathmobile as current sits around 25-26.
parts spec is:
07 dmb with the light ass tubing
07 4x w/ progressive boxxer springs slammed to 65mm
hayes/mtx (alienation runaway on either boxxer, profile, or g sport, should drop a lot of weight)
sun ringle 4 stroke rear hub/10t scandium cog/pimp lite (soon to be runaway/4 stroke w/ a sick custom alu/ti axle flush mount set up)
deity vendetta cranks w/ ti spindle
sl710 chain
e13 micro (have deity termite, to lazy to instal right now)
shadow bb
twisted pc's
light tubes
fs100 front
khe out back
deore v brake/avid lever/linear cable
new pro bars and urban camo stem uncut w/ jimmy levan grips
plastic bar ends (have deity life savers, again to lazy)
nyc freeride seat clamp (deity waiting to be installed)
thomson post, cut short w/ deity dh seat (waiting on correct hardware for the tibia. gonna drill it slam it and possibly wedge it. deity small jump seat in black, or stripped ti railed race seat w/ deity cover
red anno spacers

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
no problems bro, i know u puttin it to good use. tt is feeling fine on the streets, i'm finally gonna get around to showing it some dirt this weekend.

weird - i was somehow positive that fs100 was lighter then hr.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Great thread here Dexter, nice photos too.

Just a couple quick weights I've gotten in the past.

My 24" Tioga FS100's weighed an average of about 740, but both were a bit different.

My TableTop was around 475.

My Maxxis Holy Roller 1.85 was about 595, and my Primo Dirt Monster 1.85 was a bit less around 580.

And I've got 3 different Tioga Mistuboshi Comp III 2.125 (and 1.95) weighed about 680.

I guess that can just go to show, either an inconsistency in tire manufacturing, or an inconsistency in scales/weighing process, haha!
good stuff though, bound to help out those in the market.

I just wish I would have gotten more solid weights on my 24" kiniptions and 24" steel bead DMR Moto R/T before I sold them, I didnt write down any numbers after weighing them a year ago or so!? oh well, I'm sure others can chime in about those tires.

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
The FS100 and the Holly roller weigh the same????
When I got mine they weighed around 540 grams. But I may just have to take one off my bike tonight and weigh it again...

edit * I just weighed one and it was 680.3 grams. Huh not as light as I thought.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
When I got mine they weighed around 540 grams. But I may just have to take one off my bike tonight and weigh it again...

edit * I just weighed one and it was 680.3 grams. Huh not as light as I thought.
Interesting... Quite the variation here on the FS100's. I'll reconfirm mine later tonight too if I get a chance.
I remember originally being a little surprised with the weights when I first got mine too.
I think they may have made a folding version of the FS100 as well at one time, I think I saw one in Japan, because the regular versions are only like $15-20 there, they come equipped as a cheap oem tire on many stock bikes, like durcus and whatnot...
Wonder if the "Skidrow" is the EXACT same tire?

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Recording some tire weights is a good idea.

The standard to metric conversions should really be corrected.

For example, 1 lb. 2 oz. is 511 grams, rounding up.

I think 10% +/- is a fair tolerance for scale variation and nature of tires.

I've recorded a few tire weights over the years (all 24's)

Arrow Launch 920

DMR Moto RT 2.2 720

DMR Moto Digger 2.35 885

Kenda Kiniption 2.3 765

Kenda K-Rad 1.95 620

Kenda K-Rad 2,3 770

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
ill go back through early next week and do the correct weight corrections. landon you dont mind if i copy paste those into mine do you? If we can get a big bunch of them we should try and get it stickied

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
yeah, I just reconfirmed the weights on some of my tires... They're still the same as I listed in my first post (haven't lost weight over the winter, haha).

Both of my FS100's came out around 735g.

And I've always used 1oz = 28.35g... not the 1lb 2oz. deal, seems a bit cumbersome to me that way, well it's cumbersome no matter how you do it, haha. So don't let the pusherman rip you off on that last 1/3 of a gram now!

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
how tough are the table tops, how do they hold up to street riding, do they flat easily since there so light weight? Also where are they available to purchase and how much are they.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
my table top has held up great to street riding. all the 26 guys i roll with rock them front and back here in missoula and have not heard one bad thing yet

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
i have had the arrow launch tires for almost a year now front and rear. They hook up great on dirt, street, and even on ramps. There not the lightest or fastest rolling tire, but they never go flat and they last pretty long too. I would run them again, but these aren't your pick if your looking to save weight. I am curious about the table tops because they would save about 2lbs. off my bike, but i need toughness over lighweight. the only other 24 ive run are 1.85 holyrollers which were terrible for getting flats

How do the table tops stack up against the launches and the holyrollers?

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
alrite i just found out my launch wont fit my molly with the cs slammed so im on the hunt for some new 24s Dexter do you still have some 24 table tops for grabs? I might grab a k rad or dmr moto in the mean time

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
just sold the last table top. i would get the dmr for the time being and wait for the khe, super low sidewall for ultimate slammability