Quantcast

26/20/14 inch wheels?

Oct 14, 2007
I'm looking to get into the sport and wanted to know what are the main adv and disadavantages of 26" wheels on a trials bike? to me it would make it roll over stuff easier but would have a certain weight issue IMO

plz help

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
basically hes saying that hes afraid of looking like a faggot since hes got no confidence. Dont believe any bull**** about how 26"ers are cooler or better looking. If you are confident and your bikes fits you well, thats when trials looks good to an onlooker.

Pros of 26" = like you said they roll over **** better.

Pro's of 20" = their generally always lighter, cost less and are easier to learn trials on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the weight difference isn't as big as you would think. Personally, I don't think its enough to base the decision of which style of bike to get stock (26" wheels) or mod (20" wheels). Besides, there are ways around it to lighten the wheels - drilling your rims for instance.

Sotck bikes do roll over obstacles better. They allow you to do bigger moves than on a mod bike.

Mod bikes, although I've never owned one - but have ridden plenty - are a little more nimble. I find it easier to balance on a single wheel. Your center of gravity is also a bit lower, which helps with balance. However, it also decreases the size of gaps you can span (say, if you have yourself poised in between 2 rocks, front wheel against one, rear wheel on another). However 20" wheels will always be stronger than 26" wheels.

I've never seen a trials bike with wheels smaller than 20".

If you have the opportunity, try both kinds of bikes - then decide.

Another option - take an old, small size hardtail, and adjust the gearing so it is super low. Like, almost a 1:1 ratio (the ratio I refer to is the ratio of your front chainring to your rear cog). A very common, and easy to setup, gear ration is with a 22T front chainring and a 18T cog in the rear. Yes, its a little over 1:1, but it still will give you the right amount of power. If the bike has multiple gears, just shift it to this. Then just start messing around on rocks, benches, logs, whatever you can put your wheels on. This is a cheap way to do it before buying a specialty bike for trials.

LINEbyLINE

Chimp
Mar 31, 2008
The fact that stocks allow you to go bigger is a bit myth. Sure maybe a little for gaps, but not for pedal ups or side hops or even pedal kicks. Even though you are 6" closer the object above you, you still have to drag the bike up that extra 6" inches. It really comes down to the riders skill and not what hes riding as much.