Quantcast

26" Big Hit Stays

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Have heard a lot on these, love the big hit but looking to ditch the 24" rear, does anyone know how much the bikes geometry is changed or are the stays built to keep the geometry constant?

avalanche165

Monkey
Aug 15, 2006
yea had a friend try it out at the shop, felt so wrong. hard to ride. the 06' you can put a 26 on the back, conversion?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Whichever conversion you do, a 26" wheel on the rear of the bighit WILL negatively affect geometry.

The low(ish) BB will become higher, and the averagely slack headangle will become steeper. Neither are good for dh purposes, but if you are a skinny monkey it might be a better setup (but in that case the steep/high position on the link will do just fine too).

My suggestion (for racing anyway) is to stick with the 24. I've been racing on one for nearly two seasons now and love the things to bits, they really are a pretty decent racebike - and my only personal complaint with 24" is rim and tyre choice - which i'd rather deal with and have fairly nice geo than screw it up to fit in with the 26" crowd. :)

cederrowe

Monkey
Feb 18, 2006
portland, oregon
Ok your all on crack "doesn't feel good"

I actually ride one and the bike feels so much more solid than the stock 24" stays
Extended Wheel base is how this bike should have been made in the first place "not good for racing" now tracks at speed....humm "Intense M1" was basically a knock off of this frame with the 26" kit...and a low 14" BB height is pretty damn good

12mm axle in the rear is super solid!

Not to mention the bike rolls so much smoother with the 26" on the rear over ruff angled hits.

By the way my other bike is a turner DHR so my comparison says alot about the Goldtec kit on the bighit from someone who actually rides the kit...